The Crown and Glory Method??

AtlantaJJ

I have seen references about using the crown & glory method for obtaining length. Can some tell me what the C&G method is and how you have used it to retain length.

Thank you!!

Janet

cutiebe2

If you a search you will find tons of information. I would give you the website but it is experiencing problems right now.
Basically you use braids, keeping them in for two months and taking very good care of them, to grow your hair. It is a type of protective style

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
AtlantaJJ,

The site that describes the method is down for a bit (i think its www.growafrohairlong.com). I've read about it there (maybe not the entire post so my apologies to those who know more about it) and it's where your braid your hair and use braids when you wash your hair to reduce tangling and matting.

AtlantaJJ

Thanks so much! I'll try and check the site out when it gets back up... I actually think I visited the site once a while back but when I saw braids I went :eek: ... I abused my hair when it was in braids before.

Thank you!

preciousjewel76

AtlantaJJ said:
Thanks so much! I'll try and check the site out when it gets back up... I actually think I visited the site once a while back but when I saw braids I went :eek: ... I abused my hair when it was in braids before.

Thank you!

I've seen you mention your braid trauma before, girlie! In a nutshell, the C&G method is all about wearing braids for 2 months at a time. The size of the braids is very important. Robin recommends "box braids" that are about the width of a pencil, so they won't stress the hair. Then, she suggests moisturizing the hair daily with a mixture of braid spray and Infusium 23. You apply this mixture to the braids using a sponge. This keeps the braided hair moisturized and strengthened.

AtlantaJJ

preciousjewel76 said:
I've seen you mention your braid trauma before, girlie! In a nutshell, the C&G method is all about wearing braids for 2 months at a time. The size of the braids is very important. Robin recommends "box braids" that are about the width of a pencil, so they won't stress the hair. Then, she suggests moisturizing the hair daily with a mixture of braid spray and Infusium 23. You apply this mixture to the braids using a sponge. This keeps the braided hair moisturized and strengthened.
:cry: where was all this great advice 5 years ago. That's okay I have it now. My hair grows very well with braids in. I have learned so much about how I should have cared for my hair with the braids. I could take breaks, do the Aphogee treatments after coming out of the braids, waiting a couple of weeks before doing relaxers, etc.

I just got the Sweet Success hair growth oil which I coild still use if I got the braids. I have been enjoying wearing the falls, but it becomes a bit of a hassle when I get ready to workout. Its like I'm super man, I have to go into closet and change, take the fall off and put on the UPA clip! My UPA clip was working great but since the very necessary BC, my hair is too short to stay neat without slapping on a ton of gel or some goo, which doesn't work by the end of the day. What a hassle! That's why I wore braids in the first place because it allowed me freedom to workout and not worry, but I was lazy with them and I did not care for them properly. I just had a 3 inch BC and now it is difficult to get my hair into my pony with out it all popping out. I need to get it least another 3 to 4 inches longer to be able to baggie / bun effectively.

Thanks for letting me think out loud about this... I just want to do the best thing for my hair now that I really know how to care for it. I just have the delima of working out sweating and effective protective styling.

With the braids, is it safe to use the syntetic hair? I think I would need to find a LHCF certified braider so that they wouldn't braid my hair too tight, and spare my edges, that I have grown back for the most part...

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

AtlantaJJ said:
With the braids, is it safe to use the syntetic hair? I think I would need to find a LHCF certified braider so that they wouldn't braid my hair too tight, and spare my edges, that I have grown back for the most part...

Yup, Robin says to use kanekalon (sp?) synthetic hair for the braids. She even has a video on her site that you can watch to learn how to braid your own hair. I downloaded it but I haven't watched it yet. I'm toying with the idea of braids, but I'm a little chicken. I don't want to pay somebody to do it, but I don't know if I'd be patient enough to do it myself. :ohwell:

Good luck with your hair decisions! Hopefully, the growafrohairlong site will be up soon.

AtlantaJJ

preciousjewel76 said:
Yup, Robin says to use kanekalon (sp?) synthetic hair for the braids. She even has a video on her site that you can watch to learn how to braid your own hair. I downloaded it but I haven't watched it yet. I'm toying with the idea of braids, but I'm a little chicken. I don't want to pay somebody to do it, but I don't know if I'd be patient enough to do it myself. :ohwell:

Good luck with your hair decisions! Hopefully, the growafrohairlong site will be up soon.

Oh my gosh if I braided my hair myself, I woulld surely look like buckwheat! hahaha :lachen: :lachen: It's good for me to know my options right now. Perhaps after the holidays a healthy braid break might be just the ticket until I can get some length back. When I get it long enough to make a good ponytail again, I'll be in great shape, I can use all kinds of protective styling options. I needed that hair cut but I regret it at the same time because I can't pull my smooth pony any more ....<sigh>

Okay let me give you the “Crown & Glory” low down. First, I love this method. I gained 6 inches in a year like she said. I used it from July 2005 – 2006. I had a cult like addiction to the site. Anyhoo, basically you can use the braiding method to grow and maintain you length or you can allow your hair to be down to grow or maintain you length. I had my hair down and used the method and on my daughter I used the braiding method.
Okay, if your hair is down she instructs you to use protective styles until your hair is past your shoulders and being very gentle with your hair. Your suppose to wash you hair in loose plaits to protect from tangling when you wash. Rinse the hair then remove the plaits add conditioner & re-plait the hair to rinse. She suggests using Crème of nature conditioner and Lekair cholesterol (pinkish color).

For braiding she suggests braiding in long plaits using neutralized synthetic hair. Leaving the braids in for no longer than 6 weeks. Then once you take the braids down rest your hair for I think 4-6 weeks in protective style then re-braid after resting period. She also gives a warning not to relax you hair after you have had it braided for at least 4 weeks and not until you have done a strand test to make sure you hair is strong enough to take a relaxer and not break off. If you have any other questions PM me I printed off every page of her website. I told you I was addicted.

Qetesh

This has me thinking of going in braids again, the weather is seriously drying out my hair, and I feel the only way my hair will hold on to moisture is in braids. The problem is I don’t want to pay to get them done because until I can master keeping my hair in them. I might seriously braid my hair in pencil size braids over the weekend trying my best to get them as tight and nicely parted as possible and attempt to keep them in for 2 weeks. If it starts looking shabby I will jus tuck them under a wig. When I take them out it will be just that time for me to press my hair out for Christmas to check my progress and feel my length again.

This seriously has me thinking of doin this but I ½ way want to have it done professionally since last time I attempted it I wasn’t too proud of the results. :ohwell:

Can someone tell me the link to the video on doing braids yourself?

LondonDiva

I do this method, although when I take my braids out I wash, deep condition and put em back in. My hair is TUFF so it can take it. I remember WAY before LHCF and the internet I wore braids religiously as a teen and grew my hair from a halle berry cut to a full 5-6 inch healthy fro in about a year, with no vits, hairwashing whilst in braids etc. Do you know what i did after I grew that fro, went into the bathroom cut it all off and relaxed and styled right back to the Halle cut again.

**SMACKS MYSELF UP THE HEAD** I don't know what the hell was wrong with me.

AtlantaJJ

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Okay let me give you the “Crown & Glory” low down. First, I love this method. I gained 6 inches in a year like she said. I used it from July 2005 – 2006. I had a cult like addiction to the site. Anyhoo, basically you can use the braiding method to grow and maintain you length or you can allow your hair to be down to grow or maintain you length. I had my hair down and used the method and on my daughter I used the braiding method.
Okay, if your hair is down she instructs you to use protective styles until your hair is past your shoulders and being very gentle with your hair. Your suppose to wash you hair in loose plaits to protect from tangling when you wash. Rinse the hair then remove the plaits add conditioner & re-plait the hair to rinse. She suggests using Crème of nature conditioner and Lekair cholesterol (pinkish color).

For braiding she suggests braiding in long plaits using neutralized synthetic hair. Leaving the braids in for no longer than 6 weeks. Then once you take the braids down rest your hair for I think 4-6 weeks in protective style then re-braid after resting period. She also gives a warning not to relax you hair after you have had it braided for at least 4 weeks and not until you have done a strand test to make sure you hair is strong enough to take a relaxer and not break off. If you have any other questions PM me I printed off every page of her website. I told you I was addicted.
It actually sounds like a sound reasonable method. I would have to modify a tiny bit...I'm doing tree braids, I don't plan to relax during take rest stage, and the down time will be shorter. Tree braids won't cause tension on my scalp from the weight of the braids because they are cornrowed down on the scalp. I especially agree about waiting some time before relaxing after my final take down. I would allow time for deep conditoning, etc with the help of a professional !

AtlantaJJ

Qetesh said:
This has me thinking of going in braids again, the weather is seriously drying out my hair, and I feel the only way my hair will hold on to moisture is in braids. The problem is I don’t want to pay to get them done because until I can master keeping my hair in them. I might seriously braid my hair in pencil size braids over the weekend trying my best to get them as tight and nicely parted as possible and attempt to keep them in for 2 weeks. If it starts looking shabby I will jus tuck them under a wig. When I take them out it will be just that time for me to press my hair out for Christmas to check my progress and feel my length again.

This seriously has me thinking of doin this but I ½ way want to have it done professionally since last time I attempted it I wasn’t too proud of the results. :ohwell:

Can someone tell me the link to the video on doing braids yourself?
http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/SecretChristmasSale.html
This lady teaches braiding techniques but I think its how to braid other people...she also charges for her instructional DVDs

HoneyDew

NIK said:
How do you protect your edges from breaking while doing the braiding C&G method?

You should check out the tips on the site, but moisture and conditioning are key factors, but that is the case even if not using this method. She just talks about how to do it while in braids, i.e. making sure you moisturize the length of the braid, etc.

NIK

HoneyDew said:
You should check out the tips on the site, but moisture and conditioning are key factors, but that is the case even if not using this method. She just talks about how to do it while in braids, i.e. making sure you moisturize the length of the braid, etc.

Thank you.

cece22

I am on the Crown & Glory Challenge however, I don't like my braids big and do them smaller than what she recommends. But this causes my hair to break cause my natural strands are fine all along the nape and hairline. So I won't be braiding until I see my nape and hairline progressing and when i'm ready for bigger uglier braids. The last time I had the braider do them larger on the hairline and in front. I ended up redoing them they didn't look right. As long as my hair is not touching my clothing I am still doing the Crown and Glory Challenge.

Qetesh

songbyrd517 said:
It is on the Grow Afro Hair Long website. It is down right now :(
This is the first time I went to this site and it is very enlightening.
I never knew that they suggest not to keep cornroll extensions in the hair for longer than 2 weeks because of matting.

I may seriously try the box braids again only smaller, last time I attempted it I had about 23 braids in my hair, this time I want to double that, make them as tight to the roots as possible and curl my ends.

Thanks for the info J

AtlantaJJ

Qetesh said:
This is the first time I went to this site and it is very enlightening.
I never knew that they suggest not to keep cornroll extensions in the hair for longer than 2 weeks because of matting.

I may seriously try the box braids again only smaller, last time I attempted it I had about 23 braids in my hair, this time I want to double that, make them as tight to the roots as possible and curl my ends.

Thanks for the info J
That's style I'm getting, that is a typo she means every 2 months..and she is right about 6 - 8 weeks you should get that taken out.

AtlantaJJ

Her afro detangle solution sounds divine check out the:

INGREDIENTS: avocado/mango/shea butter, vitamin E, avocado oil, almond oil, wheat germ oil, lecithin, green tea, germaben II, mild fragrance.

I might have to get me some of that, I can use to help take my tree braids down, and as a leave in before I get braided back up... it sounds ultra moisturizing!

Has any one tired any of her products?

AtlantaJJ

A quote from her site states:

<<Remove the alkaline base from the hair before applying if you have an allergic reaction to kanekalon or human hair.
Removing The Alkaline Base: In a sink full of warm or hot tap water, add 1 cup of white vinegar. Allow the hair to soak in this solution for 15 minutes. Rinse, dry, and apply. >>
I have never soaked hair before I had my hair braided, some mentioned being allergic to weaves and braids, perhaps that's why, I have to find that thread.>>

:think: :think: :think:

Mahalialee4

EnonyPrincess: Could you explain more in detail how you were able to do this with your hair down? Cause that means you would not have to take any breaks in between right, like you do when it is braide up? Thanks for a reply. bonjour