Has anyone tried the Crown & Glory Method with success??

ttlayli

Thinking about giving my hair break for awhile. Still not sure though.
If you have tried the crown & glory method, did it work?? Did you retain a lot of new growth??

newflowers

When I first decided I needed to do something about my hair after a really bad relaxer, the C&G site is the first one I found that actually made sense. From November 06 until August 07 I was in braids - two layers of corn rows, rebraided every two to three weeks. At the end of this period, my hair had gone from 2-4 inches of jagged, breaking mess to six inches of healthy, strong hair. During that time, I came here and learned so much excellent information, I have been able to keep all of the hair I grow (not including two self-elected trims to even up the ends).

ttlayli

When I first decided I needed to do something about my hair after a really bad relaxer, the C&G site is the first one I found that actually made sense. From November 06 until August 07 I was in braids - two layers of corn rows, rebraided every two to three weeks. At the end of this period, my hair had gone from 2-4 inches of jagged, breaking mess to six inches of healthy, strong hair. During that time, I came here and learned so much excellent information, I have been able to keep all of the hair I grow (not including two self-elected trims to even up the ends).

Wow! That's really good! :yep:

Did you do EVERYTHING that she says to do (spraying the braids, waiting two months to rebraid, etc)??

Caramel Jewel

I have success with it.... in a few weeks I'm going to do three weeks in two out and three weeks in...the only reason why I'm not braiding more often is because i'm worried about my hair line....they do it so tight

ttlayli

I have success with it.... in a few weeks I'm going to do three weeks in two out and three weeks in...the only reason why I'm not braiding more often is because i'm worried about my hair line....they do it so tight

Yeah I'm def making sure my hairline is not braided tight at all!! My hair is too fine!!!!

I wanted to keep my braids in for two months, wait two weeks, then do it all over again, but on her site she explains that you have to wait two months....I don't want to wait that long. :look:

Caramel Jewel

Yeah I'm def making sure my hairline is not braided tight at all!! My hair is too fine!!!!

I wanted to keep my braids in for two months, wait two weeks, then do it all over again, but on her site she explains that you have to wait two months....I don't want to wait that long. :look:

which site

btw I'm getting corn rows...(about eleven big ones)...they frizz up in about three weeks abyway

Austro-Afrikana

I have been doing the braids regimen for just over 6months now. If you do the braids properly and do not tie the braids back until they are loose you will not lose hair. This has been the most growth i have gotten and retained. I put them in for 6weeks and keep them out for 6 and do a clarify and reconstructor before i put them in and as soon as i take them out.
Over the past 6-7 months i have had 5inches growth and most of that growth has been in braid extensions. Robin is my saviour lol

ttlayli

I have been doing the braids regimen for just over 6months now. If you do the braids properly and do not tie the braids back until they are loose you will not lose hair. This has been the most growth i have gotten and retained. I put them in for 6weeks and keep them out for 6 and do a clarify and reconstructor before i put them in and as soon as i take them out.
Over the past 6-7 months i have had 5inches growth and most of that growth has been in braid extensions. Robin is my saviour lol

Wow that's great progress!!! :yep:

Why can't you tie your braids back though....forgive me, I'm slow!! :lachen: Why is that step so important??

fancypants007

which site

btw I'm getting corn rows...(about eleven big ones)...they frizz up in about three weeks abyway

Have you tried one of those satin wrap scarfs with the conditioners in it? I read somewhere that said if you tie down your braids with a scarf it would keep them from frizzing. I have cornrow braids and this saturday will be 4 weeks and I have been using the satin scarf and I have no frizz. I have alot of new growth so they are loose, but no frizz. Try it and see if it works for you.

newflowers

Wow! That's really good! :yep:

Did you do EVERYTHING that she says to do (spraying the braids, waiting two months to rebraid, etc)??

I was pretty faithful to the method except for the timing. I had two layers of corn rows which I had rebraided every two to three weeks with a week or less off during which time I washed and deep conditioned my hair a few times before back in the braids. I washed/rinsed in braided, but the joy of washing my hair was always worth the tedious time to take down the braids so often. I was really careful to make sure the braids were not too tight, and, more to the point, I wanted my hair braided, so I only took off a week or less.

Both of my hair braiders have graduated and gone to college - if i can find another one soon, I'll do this again.

fancypants007

I think Robin says to wait two months so your hair can breathe inbetween getting your hair braided, but I think she also tells you on her site if you can't wait 2 months, it would be OK. I'm going to keep my hair in braids for a year to achieve hair length. I did this before years ago when I cut off my hair in a short stye and then I wanted my long hair back. I kept my hair in cornrow braids getting it braided again every 2 months and in 11 months, my hair was touching my shoulders. People could not believe my hair grew that much. I'm trying this method again and hoping for the same success. I heard cornrow braids make your hair grow the fastest, but it could be up for debate. I'm going to alternate getting my hair braided by a professional, and then I'm going to do it myself. Right now I have cornrows which I don't know how to do, but when I take them out, I will wait 2 weeks, and then I will braid my own hair with individual braids and leave in for 6 weeks, and then start all over again with the professional putting cornrows in my hair. I think you will find that this method of protective styles will make your hair thicker, it will protect your ends from splits and it will give your hair rest. Just my 2 cents worth!

Angelicus

I have also done this method with braided hair and my own relaxed hair. When I am in braids, I have a few things on hand:

1. a spray bottle with diluted Infusium23 leave-in (I use the generic brand from Sally's)
2. S-Curl No-Drip Spray
3. a light oil
4. Activator gel (if you want something more natural, you can use aloe gel)

Twice a day, I was spraying with Infusium and Scurl. Sometimes I would rub my braids with a little oil or activator gel (to keep the cuticles down). I learned these tricks from the website and also Ajamericandiva. If you want, I can send you some of my before and after pics (it's in my old fotki which is closed).

It works. Good luck.

sunshinelady

Glad you posted this. There is someone who posted their Fotki with pictures of when they did Crown & Glory wrong and then how well their hair grew when they followed Robin's regimen.

Can anyone help me find it? I want to put it in the challenge thread.

Thanks!