The Most Burdened With Student Loans Are Women

gimbap

I don't know too many people without student loans. I do wish I had more guidance at 17/18 when it came to financial aid/finances in general. My mom apologizes for this all the time, but she didn't know any better either. At this point all I can do is make my payments and make sure my future kids don't have loans

Daernyris

Yep I know people say that tuition costs shouldn't defer you from pursuing your dreams but Im really at a loss as to what to what I want to do. I really want to go to CRNA school but Im looking at $130,000-$175,000 in grad school debt after its all said and done:(. Its not the tuition costs thats the problem its the 3 years of not working full time that really puts you in the hole. even the bare minimum of living on $25k will result in taking out a $75k loan just for COL. Ive even thought about a side hustle but the program is so demanding that its hard to even factor in time for that.

I really do not want to go through this BS AGAIN lol:bangdesk:. At this point my best option is to save up and go to school when Im 40. There are hospitals that do pay loans back but i also dont want to be stuck somewhere for years because of an obligation i owe them. Decisions, decisions.
:rolleyes:
This is where I am currently, I want to be a pharmacist. I don't; however, want to incur $100,000+ in student debt. I also know that if I don't do it I will regret not making moves in that direction. I'm 42 and the rigors of working at a 1,000 bed hospital is killing my body. I like working two days a week having 5 off, unless I sign up for extra which is rare, I like my salary. But the repeated wear and tear on my body :nono: ain't bueno. I'm just going to have to figure it out and also work it out to get myself in the best spot going forward into my golden years.

Last edited:

FelaShrine

The good news is kids wont be a factor so i dont have to worry about that aspect...and my car is paid for. I even considered moving back to Buffalo and staying with my mom for free but i did the math and id actually be out $50,000 more because UB's Tuition is higher:eek:

State schools and city colleges in NY are supposed to be free this coming Sept. You might wanna consider it

Last edited:

FelaShrine

This is where I am currently, I want to be a pharmacist. I don't; however, want to incur $100,000+ in student debt. I also know that if I don't do it I will regret not making moves in that direction. I'm 42 and the rigors of working at a 1,000 bed hospital is killing my body. I like working two days a week having 5 off, unless I sign up for extra which is rare, I like my salary. But the repeated wear and teat on my body :nono: ain't bueno. I'm just going to have to figure it out and also work it out to get myself in the best spot going forward into my golden years.

Have you thought of NP?

PJaye

Yep I know people say that tuition costs shouldn't defer you from pursuing your dreams but Im really at a loss as to what to what I want to do. I really want to go to CRNA school but Im looking at $130,000-$175,000 in grad school debt after its all said and done:(. Its not the tuition costs thats the problem its the 3 years of not working full time that really puts you in the hole. even the bare minimum of living on $25k will result in taking out a $75k loan just for COL. Ive even thought about a side hustle but the program is so demanding that its hard to even factor in time for that.

I really do not want to go through this BS AGAIN lol:bangdesk:. At this point my best option is to save up and go to school when Im 40. There are hospitals that do pay loans back but i also dont want to be stuck somewhere for years because of an obligation i owe them. Decisions, decisions.
:rolleyes:

Question: Are older people welcomed into nursing programs? I ask because I was thinking of pursuing nursing as a third career now that my sons are grown and settled. I'm old, very old, and assumed that I would finish a program only to need a nurse of my own. Given your experience and expertise, do you think nursing would be a viable option of this ol' hag?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
We are already an extremely disenfranchised group we need to pick more wisely. We are taking a debt load that is suffocating us.
I 100% agree. Luckily I had a 100% tuition scholarship for my graduate degree. With my undergrad, I wasn't so lucky. I didn't understand much about taking out student loans etc. I did go to my city university system at first which was very inexpensive, but for personal reasons, I had to leave. By the time I wen back to school, I had a family, so I went online and the first online program I went to was for profit and not that inexpensive. I wised up afterward, but not before I racked up a lot of debt. I also was living off loans (which was a bad idea that no one counseled me on). Now I counsel younger college aged people on what to do and what not to do. Luckily my job can support my student loans without sacrificing my quality of life. Also due to my job, I will have a large sum of my loan forgiven after a few years, which is part of why I chose it. :look: If I had graduate loans though, I'd be jacked up.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
@larry3344 and @BillsBackerz67, you ladies are dropping knowledge all up and through this thread! I hope that LHCF members who are in college heed what you're saying. I love the arts and respect those who have the talent and persistence to pursue it as a profession, but I also believe that if that's the road you decide to go down, please consider the short and long term consequences of acquiring student loan debt for what is frequently a low-paying career. The only reason I am able to reconcile myself to the realities of my debt is that my income will rise with time and I have opportunities that can repay them for me.

Exactly why I didn't mind getting my degree(s).

BillsBackerz67

Question: Are older people welcomed into nursing programs? I ask because I was thinking of pursuing nursing as a third career now that my sons are grown and settled. I'm old, very old, and assumed that I would finish a program only to need a nurse of my own. Given your experience and expertise, do you think nursing would be a viable option of this ol' hag?
yes there are always older students in nursing programs! Since you are older i would look into specialities that wont take a toll on your body. Icu, subacute rehab, and stepdown patients are HEAVY. For that reason after after i turn 40 you will not catch me at the bedside full time or even part time unless im literally out of options.

bubbles12345

yes there are always older students in nursing programs! Since you are older i would look into specialities that wont take a toll on your body. Icu, subacute rehab, and stepdown patients are HEAVY. For that reason after after i turn 40 you will not catch me at the bedside full time or even part time unless im literally out of options.

This is slightly oT, but what exactly is it about nursing that takes a toll on your body overtime?

FelaShrine

:rolleyes: Making yourself sound like Methuselah like we didnt see your arse when you were Hair of the month. Go away :lol:

PJaye

Thank you for your input and advice, I will definitely keep them in mind. I really appreciate you. :kiss:

:rolleyes: Making yourself sound like Methuselah like we didnt see your arse when you were Hair of the month. Go away :lol:

You just had to spoil things for me with your elephant memory.:lol: You're just like my eldest sister: "If you're an old hag, then what am I?" Spoil sports, the both of youse.

LostInAdream

This is where I am currently, I want to be a pharmacist. I don't; however, want to incur $100,000+ in student debt. I also know that if I don't do it I will regret not making moves in that direction. I'm 42 and the rigors of working at a 1,000 bed hospital is killing my body. I like working two days a week having 5 off, unless I sign up for extra which is rare, I like my salary. But the repeated wear and tear on my body :nono: ain't bueno. I'm just going to have to figure it out and also work it out to get myself in the best spot going forward into my golden years.
Look into Walgreens. I know you're older so maybe a manager position or corporate job. They pay for employees to go to pharmacy school. It's a program you have to apply for and or by recommendation.

I was recommended by my store manager when I graduated high school. I was a photo tech/ costmetic/ pharmacy tech.

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

Hold up....while we're dissing certain degrees. Let's dig a little deeper. A lot of students have the burden of helping back home....not home helping them, hence, taking out extra loans. And we all know BW are expected to shoulder such burdens moreso than BM, even as young adults.

tigereyes83

I graduated undergrad with about 23k in loans and my job paid 100% for my MBA which is why I choose to work there over higher paying jobs when I first graduated. Took me about 2 1/2 years to pay off undergrad but I hustled my butt off. I worked side gigs every weekend and weekdays to get that loan down. Every extra penny was thrown at that loan. I compared myself to my cousin who has/had 60 k in debt. We went to the same school but she made choices to need more money.. Live on campus, meal plan etc.. When we both graduated she didn't want to do no side hustles but enjoy her off time which I get but she is now super stressed about the loans and it has hindered her in starting a family.

We need to make better choices. If I would have known what I know now I would have went to community college first, know the difference between certain loan, repaid interest in school but I did not know better. Hopefully we can guide the next generation better if we are not burden and stressed out by our own loans.

BEAUTYU2U

^ I think that's another huge factor. BW are more likely to be first generation college students than other groups. My parents couldn't understand my challenges or how to help. My older cousins mostly went on athletic scholarships. I figured it out as I went along. I did community college and came out with less than average debt.

larry3344

Yeah. The need to get the "real college experience", going off to college freshman year and staying in the dorm, football games, etc
Unfortunately that is not experience that poor black families can afford. And perhaps needs to be gained some other way through more cost effective means.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
we are expected to help moreso than black males? girl please. you understated! the help really isnt expected from black men at all from what i see!

many of us go in debt muling for everybody :confused::mad:

Hold up....while we're dissing certain degrees. Let's dig a little deeper. A lot of students have the burden of helping back home....not home helping them, hence, taking out extra loans. And we all know BW are expected to shoulder such burdens moreso than BM, even as young adults.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
yea no.. everybody cant afford that full experience and just need to accept it. or accept 20 years of debt. if dorm life is really the goal then the poor student needs to apply for and receive 12343 scholarships for that experience.

and anyway, if the black kid is going to a PWI, idk how much of a great experience having them live 24/7 in a maybe only 1 bp for every 30 wp situation is gonna be.

Unfortunately that is not experience that poor black families can afford. And perhaps needs to be gained some other way through more cost effective means.

BEAUTYU2U

yea no.. everybody cant afford that full experience and just need to accept it. or accept 20 years of debt. if dorm life is really the goal then the poor student needs to apply for and receive 12343 scholarships for that experience.

and anyway, if the black kid is going to a PWI, idk how much of a great experience having them live 24/7 in a maybe only 1 bp for every 30 wp situation is gonna be.

Even at PWI, we segregate ourselves. There's always a "black" dorm or floor. I barely even interacted with WP at mine. It was awesome.

Daernyris

we are expected to help moreso than black males? girl please. you understated! the help really isnt expected from black men at all from what i see!

many of us go in debt muling for everybody :confused::mad:
Which is one of the many/main reasons why I find myself in the predicament I'm in now. I was in my mid thirties before I truly understood that I better start MULING and CAPING for self.

I think its ingrained in us early that it's selfish to think about yourself first.
Which is why so many of us are running on empty the vast majority of time. I gave to and did for family, friends, men and was always arse out when it came for self.

The eight years I have left in my forties won't catch me slipping like I was in my twenties to mid thirties :nono:.

I've spent the past eight years building for self and don't feel bad not even a little bit.

Last edited:

dancinstallion

Yeah. The need to get the "real college experience", going off to college freshman year and staying in the dorm, football games, etc

My niece just went to college and lives down the street from the university but she didnt want to go there because she says it is ghetto. she and her mother wanted her to have the college experience so they let her go to a university an hour away to live on campus.

I told them about accumulating debt so early just to stay on campus. I also told them that in their state the first two years of college is free if she went to a community college, or free if she went to the university down the street and picked a certain major(she can always change majors). they said No and made every excuse for her to go to the other school. They dont even know how much she had to borrow to pay for everything. :nono:
My niece said she doesnt care how much it costs even if it is 30k a year she just wants to live on campus. :nono: and she wants to be an md.

Royalq

im not clicking on the link but coli? those are the most ignorant, uneducated black men ever who follow every single word from Tommy Sotomayor.
I used to frequent that site. Coli ain't ish. A bunch of ugly short nerdy bums who are terrified of approaching women yet want the baddest IG girls. More than 3/4 are a bunch of virgins giving advice on how to be HOH (hard on hoes) and how to treat every woman like a whore. Lamest site of black men ever.