The Pope Has Died

Eiano

Yeah, I heard he died about 10 minutes ago. He was a good man.

I hope he rests in eternal peace :(

Lorraine

I am so saddened by this news. My church is holding special services all evening. This is a very sad day.

gotshuz

I am truly sadden ...went to mass last night .....a very good man that enbodied the qualities of what "christlike" meant has passed.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm not Catholic, but I'm wondering what did the Pope do??? Why was he so special??? *Just wondering out of mere ignorance, not attacking. ;)

pebbles

Poohbear said:
I'm not Catholic, but I'm wondering what did the Pope do??? Why was he so special??? *Just wondering out of mere ignorance, not attacking. ;)
The Pope is the leader of the Catholic Church, and is considered God's emissary here on earth for the Catholic faith. He sets the direction the church will follow, and all final decisions are his. This particular Pope was a world traveler and met with more heads of state and visited more countries than any other Pope preceding him. He was more sympathetic to the human condition than any of the other Popes. In general, he was considered a great humanitarian. :)

Country gal

Yes, exactly. The Vatican sets forth the Catholic Doctrine. He is the leader of the Catholic Church.

pebbles said:
The Pope is the leader of the Catholic Church, and is considered God's emissary here on earth for the Catholic faith. He sets the direction the church will follow, and all final decisions are his. This particular Pope was a world traveler and met with more heads of state and visited more countries than any other Pope preceding him. He was more sympathetic to the human condition than any of the other Popes. In general, he was considered a great humanitarian. :)

Laginappe

blaxalrose said:
I can't believe in Communist Cuba, Castro has declared a period of mourning it really shows the reach of the Pope's stature.

I hadn't heard that. Amazing. Thanks for sharing and for the article.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
blaxalrose said:
I can't believe in Communist Cuba, Castro has declared a period of mourning it really shows the reach of the Pope's stature.
[/font]

whoaaa. That really is something considering he helped end communism in Europe.

Sweet C

blaxalrose said:

Wow, now u know that is awesome. It seems as if everyone has a lot to say to highly regard this pope. President Bush's remarks were quite in awe of him (and with no fumbles).

notsomebody

I thought you guys might be interested in something I recieved in my email today. I am a member of knowledge news and they send me stuff every week. This is about the Pope- before he was Pope. He was a truly great man.

Today's Knowledge
Before He Was John Paul, He Was Karol

On May 18, 1920, Karol and Emilia Wojtyla welcomed the arrival of their second son and named him Karol Jozef. The family lived in Wadowice, a small town just south of Krakow where Catholics and Jews lived side by side. When Karol was 8, he lost his mother. Three years later, his older brother also died.

Portrait of the Pope as a Young Man

Karol grew up to excel in academics and athletics. When the Nazis invaded Poland in 1939, he was studying literature and philosophy in Krakow and exploring a passion for theater. After the Germans shut down his university, he saw his professors rounded up--some deported, others executed--and Poland's Jews sent off to death camps. Auschwitz was less than 50 miles away.

Karol took a job as a stonecutter, but then personal tragedy struck again: his father died in 1941. Karol Sr.'s last wish was that his son become a priest, and Karol soon began training at an underground seminary in Krakow--secretly, since the Nazis had outlawed religious study. From 1944 until the end of World War II, he had to lie low to escape the notice of the Germans, who had begun rounding up Polish men.

From these experiences, Karol became convinced that moral purity is best attained through suffering. Later in life, when addressing arguments that priestly celibacy should be relaxed, or that other dimensions of Catholic life should be made less difficult, Wojtyla would return to the idea that some things in life are supposed to be hard.

On-the-Job Training

Once Karol entered the Catholic church, his rise through the hierarchy was steady. He was ordained in 1946 and continued to study, earning doctorates in theology and philosophy. He became a bishop in 1958, archbishop in 1963, cardinal in 1967.

A priest in the Polish church faced plenty of obstacles. When the Germans were thrown out of Poland at the end of World War II, the Communists took over, and the new regime was every bit as authoritarian as the old--and even more hostile to religion. A rising star, Karol grew proficient in the difficult balancing act of resisting the government's periodic crackdowns on religion without inviting even harsher reprisals.

The great turning point in his career came at the Second Vatican Council (1962-65). The young church leader from Krakow, relatively unknown outside his native land, attracted attention by arguing forcefully that the church should explicitly condemn anti-Semitism and officially reject the view that Jews are responsible for Jesus's death.

All Roads Lead to Rome

When Pope John Paul I died in 1978 after only 34 days in office, Cardinal Wojtyla traveled to Rome to help elect a successor. On the eighth ballot, his peers elected him to lead their church. He was the first non-Italian pope in more than 400 years and the first Slavic pope ever. At age 58, he was also the youngest pope in generations.

In 1981, he was shot twice by a Turk named Mehmet Ali Agca. He recovered within months, and resumed his arduous schedule. He even went to his assailant's prison and forgave the man who tried to murder him.

Throughout his papacy, John Paul was a traveling man. In the past quarter of a century, he made more than 100 trips outside Italy. Plenty of people traveled to him, too. The Vatican estimates that 17 million pilgrims traveled to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome to see John Paul over the years. Many will return in the coming days to say goodbye.

Mark Diller
Updated April 2, 2005

Want to learn more?
Visit St. Peter's, the pope's home church
http://stpetersbasilica.org/images.htm