The problem with Stylists....

Chevelure618

The one stylist I wanted for my salon, Swang, Inc. quit last night before he even started. You all will not be surprised why. He said that he "disagrees" with some of my hair growth philosophies. Guess what they are? 1) stretching relaxers- thinks that women who want short hair should be able to have them much sooner. I don't totally disagree aside from the possible scalp issues, but he said I should not say in my brochure that relaxer stretching is 'better'.
2) saying i can't really know what I'm talking about when he has been a stylist for 25 years, comparing it to a patient telling a dentist how to do teeth.'
3) the fact that offering these healthy hair services will keep Type 1 haired clients away. My decision on this is to also advertise it being a 'Multi-Ethnic' salon. I would absolutely not want to turn away women who work/live in the neighborhood and I never intended to.

Even so, he said I'd "have to find someone else". I said "OK, bye". and meant it. I have 2-3 other stylists interested and just put another ad in the paper.

My point is: Just as it is hard to educate women about healthy hair practices, so it is just as hard or harder to retrain stylists, many of whom have created the very damage and repetitive practices we've encountered until we learned how to grow our hair healthy.

I've got my work cut out for me.

P.S, Its fun as heck anyway.

M

Run your business the way YOU see fit and you'll be fine!

When people are set in THEIR ways, it's damn near impossible to change their way of thinking. Good luck with your business!

These are some sad, common beliefs among stylists. I had a stylist who believed the same thing which lead me to the belief that one year of relaxers was too long!

^^ true..

it may be a bit difficult to re-train stylist in regard to our healthy hair methods...to them it may seem unconventional to us its normal LHCF HH routines...

i guess it will all be in the way you aprroach the re-training process...making the stylist feel like their techniques are valued yet--incorporating your HHJ techniques in there too (( kinda like with a hubby you make them feel like their running the show but you really are lol)...and i will say not having a license is no big deal to me--your a business woman and i respect it--- but stylists will come at you like you have 6 heads telling them how you feel haircare should be...

only the strong survive like darwin said so..im sure you will be just fine

I applaud you for wanting to practice healthy hair care techniques in your salon.

It's too many stylists that are more concerned about their pockets rather than their clients' hair. They want to give their clients a touch-up too soon b/c of money; they want to cut when there are no splits or damage b/c of money; they will lie and say you need to come every week for treatments to grow your hair b/c of money. The list can go on and on...

However, I wish you the best and much success!

Well, I guess he can afford to be unemployed based on not wanting to try something different.

There are some people on this site who relax WAY SOONER than I ever did when I was relaxing. I had touch ups every 12 weeks. I was never one of those people who relaxed every 6 - 8 weeks.

What is up with this? Who comes into an interview and tries to insult their boss?
2) saying i can't really know what I'm talking about when he has been a stylist for 25 years, comparing it to a patient telling a dentist how to do teeth.'

Well I wish you were in my area b/c I would love a stylist who understood the practices here. What stylists fail to realize is that they would actually probably gain more clients if people saw the positive results in the condition of their hair. If I could go into a salon and not get crazy looks w/ my 20 wk post hair b/c I ask for a wash and style instead of a relaxer or when it's time to detangle it *chuckling* I might actually go more regularly. Instead I'm a diyer. So I say keep up the good work and on our behalf please train 'em right. Matter of fact open up your own school and train them in mass numbers :drunk:

First congratulations on opening your own salon! :yep: And your business is your responsibility and you should run it as you please. Any one who is not practicing healthy hair practices or belittling you is someone you don’t want as an employee anyways! :nono: My advice though is that you may have to hire stylist that are fresh out of school and give them extra training because I don’t see it being easy to retrain someone who has already been a stylist for many years. Also i just can't believe this stylist said that you cant really know what your talking about comparing it to a patient telling a dentist how to do teeth- thats just straight up disrespectful! :nono: I also didnt understand his rationale for saying "offering these healthy hair services will keep Type 1 haired clients away". What???? Anyway good luck with your stylist search! :yep:

Last edited:
wow. Good luck with your salon. I don't go to salons - only because I refuse to fight with stylists and their archaic ideas. No need to waste my time.

OP, run your business girl. sorry you have to find a replacement. What is it with some of these stylist? So narrow minded. Dare not think outside of the box. Will not even consider that there might be another way to treat hair. 25 yrs of experience, my aunt fannie. More like 25 years of frying and damaging our hair.

so where is your Salon? do you have website

Well, I guess he can afford to be unemployed based on not wanting to try something different.

There are some people on this site who relax WAY SOONER than I ever did when I was relaxing. I had touch ups every 12 weeks. I was never one of those people who relaxed every 6 - 8 weeks.

What is up with this? Who comes into an interview and tries to insult their boss?

P.S. I AM a dentist so he was doubly insulting, and you are right. I've heard from other stylists in the area that he can be hard to get along with. On and off type personality....very good stylist...has the gift of gab, but I can see he would want to take over and not respect me as the boss.

OP, run your business girl. sorry you have to find a replacement. What is it with some of these stylist? So narrow minded. Dare not think outside of the box. Will not even consider that there might be another way to treat hair. 25 yrs of experience, my aunt fannie. More like 25 years of frying and damaging our hair.

so where is your Salon? do you have website

So true. When you can walk down a busy street and just see the broken damaged hair on almost every black woman, these stylists can't be doing everything right.

It is in White Plains, NY

Swang, Inc.
257 Mamaroneck Ave.
White Plains, NY
877-55-SWANG
Swang, Inc. - Home

wow. Good luck with your salon. I don't go to salons - only because I refuse to fight with stylists and their archaic ideas. No need to waste my time.

I don't blame you. But just to let you all know that on my price list is the fee for a "CUT" and then the fee for a "DUST". I plan to cut small squares of graph paper and attach it to the brochures to indicate how much that is. One graph paper square is a quarter inch and half of that is an 1/8th inch. I am ADAMANT about this and want to be there personally for these dustings to make sure. That is one thing I am brainwashing my stylists about. Dust is DUST.

I'm sorry but hair health and hair styling are two different things. No one has to spend 25 years mixing colors and doing a wet sets to know how to take care of hair. And I'm sorry, but the client/stylist relationship is no where NEAR the same as a patient/doctor relationship. I really wish they would let that one go. I don't know too many people who can perform open heart surgery in their own home. :ohwell:, but plenty who can grow and manage their own hair at home. When's the last time you saw a stylist write a prescription? :lol: Heck, the FDA doesn't even give a hoot about regulating hair products-- shows how important that is on the grand scale of things. NEXT.

I'm sorry but hair health and hair styling are two different things. No one has to spend 25 years mixing colors and doing a wet sets to know how to take care of hair. And I'm sorry, but the client/stylist relationship is no where NEAR the same as a patient/doctor relationship. I really wish they would let that one go. I don't know too many people who can perform open heart surgery in their own home. :ohwell:, but plenty who can grow and manage their own hair at home. When's the last time you saw a stylist write a prescription? :lol: Heck, the FDA doesn't even give a hoot about regulating hair products-- shows how important that is on the grand scale of things. NEXT.

Sistaslick I absolutely agree with this! Another difference I work very closely with doctors and for the most part they care about thier patients and want whats best for them! I dont always get that same vibe from some stylist. :nono:

Last edited:
Thank you for the open invitation to PM you. The reason I asked was because if you are booth renting I was unsure how you could in force your principles on stylists who want to do touch up's every 6 weeks.

Sending success your way.

Have you thought about advertising on LHCF or on healthy haircare blogs? That way you'd find someone who's already familiar with the haircare principles you stand for.

Oh where is The TruthIsHair lady on Youtube located? She was or is in cosmetology school. Good luck in getting the right HS for your salon!

Last edited:

Preach on sista. So true. I had a braider tell me there was no way my hair was as long as it is. Wow. how insulting. Again - this is why a dear friend does cornrows for me - and NO on touches my hair but me...

I don't blame you. But just to let you all know that on my price list is the fee for a "CUT" and then the fee for a "DUST". I plan to cut small squares of graph paper and attach it to the brochures to indicate how much that is. One graph paper square is a quarter inch and half of that is an 1/8th inch. I am ADAMANT about this and want to be there personally for these dustings to make sure. That is one thing I am brainwashing my stylists about. Dust is DUST.

Seeing a price list with a seperate price for "dusting" would win my business instantly - very few stylists have even heard the term dusting...you should do this too OP:)

Glad to hear you stuck with your guns. BUH-BYE! You just saved yourself from dealing with an employee who wouldn't follow your rules. Best wishes on your salons success!

25 years experience just means that he hasn't been paying attention. The lady who does my mom's hair has been doing hair about 40 years and has been saying that you should stretch relaxers for at least the last 20.

Wow, he insulted you after coming to you for a job? Some people are a mess! I'm glad you told him bye! Too bad your salon isn't in my neck of the woods! Good luck on your salon!

Back