The View Talking About Good Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutMoi

Anybody watching?

I am so glad that Whoopi corrected Barbara and let her know that black women do not relax their hair to look like white people. She told her black women relax to make their hair more manageable.

Barbara also said she thought Sherri wore a wig to look more like white peoples hair. Really??? Anyway... Sherri told her that a lot of the stylist did not know how to handle black hair and would put baby powder in her hair to absorb the oil. She let her know she wears wigs to protect her hair.

mscocoface

Sounds interesting. I have to slightly disagree with Whoopi though there are some women who do relax their hair to look like other folk.

I would say the majority of women of color do it because they feel their hair will be more manageable but there are some with color issues and their spouses that have color issues who do it for that reason.

MochaEyeCandy

I'm over Barbra acting brand new. Talking about "why would you still put a chemical on you that burns" Excuse you Blondie? Cause having your colour stripped is a painless, carcinogen free walk in the park? SHUT UP!!!

Last edited:

AllAboutMoi

Coco I agree that some women do relax their hair to look like other folks but I dont think it is the majority. Some women do a lot of things to look like other folks like contacts, tans, butt implants, etc.

I personally dont know anyone that has relaxed to look like white peoples hair. I just cant relate to that.

AllAboutMoi

I'm over Barbra acting brand new. Talking about "why would you still put a chemical on you that burns" Excuse you Blondie? Cause having your colour stripped is a painless walk in the park? SHUT UP!!!

Right, like Joy said the same reason we wear shoes that hurt our feet. Same reason people get Botox.

Interesting. Though most black women straighten their hair, black women do not wear typical white women hair styles.

Now I do see where SOME black women rock the super long silky weaves to appear more 'exotic'. On a particular hairboard, there are women who seem to gush over being asked if they are mixed because of their weave/lacefront. Being exotic is in though, with black AND white women.

I'm over Barbra acting brand new. Talking about "why would you still put a chemical on you that burns" Excuse you Blondie? Cause having your colour stripped is a painless, carcinogen free walk in the park? SHUT UP!!!

I remember watching ANTM when that one girl, Michelle, had to go platinum blonde and she was shaking with tears running down her face because of the pain.

Daughter

UK Blak
Sounds interesting. I have to slightly disagree with Whoopi though there are some women who do relax their hair to look like other folk.

I would say the majority of women of color do it because they feel their hair will be more manageable but there are some with color issues and their spouses that have color issues who do it for that reason.

I would say that some people don't so much want their hair to look like white people's but to look anything OTHER than type 4 black hair.

For me, it was partly this and total ignorance of how to look after and style my own natural hair.

mscocoface

Coco I agree that some women do relax their hair to look like other folks but I dont think it is the majority. Some women do a lot of things to look like other folks like contacts, tans, butt implants, etc.

I personally dont know anyone that has relaxed to look like white peoples hair. I just cant relate to that.

Reread my post I said the majority of women DO NOT relax their hair for the reason Barbara explains. The MAJORITY do it for manageability.

Desarae

I DONT CARE HOW MUCH RELAXER YOU PUT IN YOUR HAIR, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LOOK WHITE IF YOU ARE BLACK.

That's crazy, we're basically damned if we do and damned if we don't, that's why I just do me and to hell what anyone else thinks.

Some white folx out there are probably laughing at us for relaxing our hair, trying to be like them.

Hopefully no one under the age of 50 is still relaxing thier hair to "look white"

This is a mess.

Jade Feria

Watching it now...funny because I don't watch TV and I just happened to turn it on and it was on. Then I figured there would be a thread about it.

comike

I was thinking to myself, I didn't realize Barbara Walters was that ignorant to say "I thought black women were trying to be more like white women"? How long have black people been in this country? Clearly, white folks don't have a clue about our culture. I don't know of any black women that straighten their hair for the sake of trying to be white. Should black people also ask the question if white women are trying to be black by getting tans, lip injections, butt implants?

QBOE2001

Barbara Walters has a weird fascination with black women. That's all I have to say on that.

:look: Not surprising that she has a fascination with black women, after all in her memoir she confessed to having a long term secret relationship with a prominent BLACK MARRIED POLITICIAN in her thirties I believe. She probably just wants to scope out the competition LOL:grin:

AllAboutMoi

Right now I am thinking that this movie is perpetuating the myth that black hair is "bad". I hope after seeing it I find that I am wrong.

ccd

What I don't like is that he is solely talking about black women....He is not informing, he is exploiting...:nono:

(Exactly Babs.....What is he going to tell his daughter? after this?)

What does his wife think of this? I don't feel like he has honored Black women in any way shape or form......

ccd

Right now I am thinking that this movie is perpetuating the myth that black hair is "bad". I hope after seeing it I find that I am wrong.

Well with the highlights on this show....where he was trying to sell the "black hair" people said ..ooooo no body wants that, not even black women......

the only place that would want that is Fed Ex to PACK BOXES!!! :blush: And to have men say they can't touch a black women's scalp..... He makes it sound like every Black women is wearing a weave first of all....

IDK...I don't feel moved to watch the show..... My hispanic friend saw him on Oprah and thought it was Hilarious...:ohwell: Again I don't think this honors black women in any way

CoilyFields

DISCLAIMER: People have a right to wear their hair curly, staight, braided, weaved, wigged, twisted, relaxed or natural. Straight hair does not equal self-hate (for most of us).

But you have to give the history its due. Black people DID originally apply relaxers and press their hair to look like the white european standard of beauty that they were surrounded by. Maybe nowadays most of us dont think about it like that but that "swang" that we love so much is not native to our (majority) hair culture...but it is to whites. Assimilation happens in all cultures and should be appreciated...ours is just highly charged because differences in blacks were seen as deficiencies. But we do have to admit that when the majority of us slap on a wig or weave for a protective style we still opt for european/indian hair (i.e. not 4a/b). No biggie but lets be honest.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Well I believe Barbara knows the deal, i think she's just trying to contribute to the convo...she's not that ignorant.

But really, why wouldn't the average white person think that straightening our hair would be "trying to be white"? We are straightening hair for "manageability"....where did the idea come from that straight hair is more manageable? Not from kinky-curly ppls. In indigenous cultures that still exist hair is managed according to it's properties.....it's braided or locked or left fluffy or cut short or whatever. Having a kinky texture and relaxing or straightening it for manageability is to emulate other cultures.

When you talk to white ppl they naturally assume we are trying to be like them but if we were talking to Asian or Indian ppl they'd assume that we were trying to be like them.

My point is that the idea of "manageability" IMHO is not from the traditional curly/afro-curly perspective.

With that being said i am going to flat iron my hair later so I have no beef with it...lol. I'm just saying how I see it.

Jetblackhair

I don't understand why it's always an issue of black people trying to look like white people. There are so many other races with straight hair, Asian, Indian, American Indian, Latina, etc.

It seems quite arrogant Barbara to think that when we relax we are trying to look like whites.
:rolleyes:

Well I believe Barbara knows the deal, i think she's just trying to contribute to the convo...she's not that ignorant.

But really, why wouldn't the average white person think that straightening our hair would be "trying to be white"? We are straightening hair for "manageability"....where did the idea come from that straight hair is more manageable? Not from kinky-curly ppls. In indigenous cultures that still exist hair is managed according to it's properties.....it's braided or locked or left fluffy or cut short or whatever. Having a kinky texture and relaxing or straightening it for manageability is to emulate other cultures.

When you talk to white ppl they naturally assume we are trying to be like them but if we were talking to Asian or Indian ppl they'd assume that we were trying to be like them.

My point is that the idea of "manageability" IMHO is not from the traditional curly/afro-curly perspective.

With that being said i am going to flat iron my hair later so I have no beef with it...lol. I'm just saying how I see it.

You do make a good point. Everyone assumes that Asians bleach their skin to look white, but fair skin has always been prized in many Asian cultures, even before colonization. I think it's natural for people to hold misconceptions regarding the beauty practices in other cultures. Black women think white women tan and get lip injections to look black, white women think black women straighten their hair and wear weaves to look white, Latinas of multiracial descent probably think everyone is trying to look like them. :lol: At the end of the day, most white people don't think twice about what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.