The W-Shape Support Thread

As you can see from my siggy, I have a bad case. My hair is ok now, even though I haven't updated with a picture.

I grew my hair to BSL and in January I cut it to right above APL and that took care of my "W" problem. I was glad with the results becuase even though I had to cut off 3 inches of my hair, it was still relatively long and my problem was gone. My worries now is how to keep the "W" from coming back. The whole "perm your nape last" was not working for me. I've decided to perm this area every other perm, so in essence my nape area is stretching for like 18 weeks. This stretching can also backfire, but I'm making sure to handle with care. I've been taking growth aids ( Biotin & GNC Ultranourishair ) and using topical growth aids ( Nexxus Biotin Creme, Surge Hair oil & Dr.Miracles Nape and Temple balm). Let's see what happens

Mizani_Mrs

Daaaang, that product contains DNA. :blush:

I am a member of the Wu tang club. I firmly believe it has to do with relaxer breakage. Because when my relaxer was applied at from the kitchen then upwards...the wu tang would be worse... It's like wherever the relaxer is applied first...this area will likely be the weakest/shortest part of your hair. So the way i deal with it is I oil my hair before relaxing, and I make sure my stylist follow the 10minute relaxer rule. Also my relaxer is applied from the top down. and I deep condition. Nowadays, the sides are still longer but not that much as they once were, so now i only have to do mini trims to keep it even.

aprils13

My sister has this problem also. She hasnt had a perm in about 5 years, she wears dreadlocks now. The problem area is constantly itching. Is anyone elses?

LongiLox

As you can see from my siggy, I have a bad case. My hair is ok now, even though I haven't updated with a picture.

I grew my hair to BSL and in January I cut it to right above APL and that took care of my "W" problem. I was glad with the results becuase even though I had to cut off 3 inches of my hair, it was still relatively long and my problem was gone. My worries now is how to keep the "W" from coming back. The whole "perm your nape last" was not working for me. I've decided to perm this area every other perm, so in essence my nape area is stretching for like 18 weeks. This stretching can also backfire, but I'm making sure to handle with care. I've been taking growth aids ( Biotin & GNC Ultranourishair ) and using topical growth aids ( Nexxus Biotin Creme, Surge Hair oil & Dr.Miracles Nape and Temple balm). Let's see what happens

How's the Nexxus Biotin Creme? Is it worth trying?

HairBarbie

Could this be the answer we've been looking for? I'm willing to give it a shot.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=34609&page=4

A metabolic scalp treatment fortified with Biotin to stimulate hair growth.
Penetrates the scalp to strengthen hair with concentrated ingredients including Biotin, B-Complex Vitamins, Amino Acids and Proteins.
Biotin helps stimulate hair growth, improves the quality of fine, weak hair and neutralizes metabolic by-products that inhibit hair growth.
Increases circulation to the scalp.
Promotes the growth of healthy hair with DHT inhibitors and circulation boosters.

Key component in the Hair Revitalization Program.

Directions for use
Use daily, morning, and evening.
Apply Biotin Creme to scalp, specifically focusing on areas where hair is thinning.
Massage in thoroughly.
Leave in, allowing absorption of vitalizing ingredients.
Apply daily or before bedtime as an overnight treatment for optimal results.
Noticeable results in 45 days with regular use.

Active ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, PEG-8 Stearate, Stearalkonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Biotin, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Germ Extract, Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Extract, Swertia Japonica Extract, Wild Mint (Mentha Arvensis) Oil, Phytic Acid, Benzyl Nicotinate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Cyclodextrin, Menthol, Zinc PCA, PEG-14M, Inositol, L-Cystine, Cysteine, Choline, DNA, RNA, Niacin, Methionine, Pyridoxine HCL, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben.

Thank you, I hope it's not expensive. I really need to do something about my nape.

Quest4healthyhair: I have the same concerns as you, I feel like ok I cut it now, but what do I do when the problem keeps arising?

HairBarbie

My sister has this problem also. She hasnt had a perm in about 5 years, she wears dreadlocks now. The problem area is constantly itching. Is anyone elses?
Mine doesn't itch, it just feels really weak. Maybe she has some kind of scalp problem that's causing the itching.

I see quite a few number of black women with this w shape, I wonder what's causing it. Relaxer may be the culprit, I'm going to pay more attention to that.

LongiLox

Mine doesn't itch, it just feels really weak. Maybe she has some kind of scalp problem that's causing the itching.

I see quite a few number of black women with this w shape, I wonder what's causing it. Relaxer may be the culprit, I'm going to pay more attention to that.

For me, I believe relaxers and cornrows pre-LHCF days is what caused the problem. The growth seems stunted in that area.

Brooklyn72

I have the same issue as well! My middle is a very different finer texture than the rest of my hair and it grows upward. I use to have a real short cut like less than 1/2 inch all over and my stylist noticed it when he was cutting my hair. He said this was the reason why my middle looked shorter. So it doesn't matter for me if I trim. No matter what, I will always have it and have just learned to hide it well.

Rei

I have the same issue as well! My middle is a very different finer texture than the rest of my hair and it grows upward. I use to have a real short cut like less than 1/2 inch all over and my stylist noticed it when he was cutting my hair. He said this was the reason why my middle looked shorter. So it doesn't matter for me if I trim. No matter what, I will always have it and have just learned to hide it well.

mine is a finer texture too! which confuses me because I thought that looser textures were supposed to be stronger. But i've been down with the Wu for a long time now :perplexed I just BC'd a couple of months ago so I'm hoping that this fixes the problem

Miss*Tress

Relaxer may be the culprit, I'm going to pay more attention to that.
I'm natural and have a slight case of this too.

First my nape was much shorter than the rest of the surrounding hair, but I was able to get it caught up by conditioning and moisturizing it more heavily.

Now I have a patch high in the middle of the back of my head that is visibly 1-3 inches shorter than the rest. It's a coarser, drier texture and seems more difficult to restore than my nape. I've suspected the following causes but am not certain:
- not rinsing the area well enough; I hold my head upside down over the tub and wash with a hand-held shower nozzle
- a new bonnet dryer that blasts too much heat on that area

Still working on it.

Nya33

Protective styling and heaps of moisture and mega tek. I think the more gentle i was with that area the more it has improved. In my fotki you can really see how "empty" the middle was.

I'm in a weave now so i made sure the nape braid was not too tight as well to avoid breakage.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Gee, I need this thread. I keep cutting my hair to compensate for the w that has plagued me most of my life. I cut and it comes back. I'm transitioning now and i still have 2 inches to go, but i'm trying to hold off and see if it grows out...i'm praying it does. I tire of cutting really nice healthy hair to hide that gap.

Your guess is as good as mine, but I couldn't leave my hair like that. That was a personal choice. Now I'm all one length. If I take excellent care of my hair and it still happens then I'll know that it's out of my control. I'm anemic. Someone mentioned to me that sometimes anemia can cause this. We'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you, I hope it's not expensive. I really need to do something about my nape.

Quest4healthyhair: I have the same concerns as you, I feel like ok I cut it now, but what do I do when the problem keeps arising?

scarcity21

Your guess is as good as mine, but I couldn't leave my hair like that. That was a personal choice. Now I'm all one length. If I take excellent care of my hair and it still happens then I'll know that it's out of my control. I'm anemic. Someone mentioned to me that sometimes anemia can cause this. We'll just have to wait and see.
im anemic too...wow...we'll see..as of now , i refuse to cut /even out bcos i did August 2007 and im back 2 square one...i even had my dermatologist take a look at it on 3/9/09 and she said the scalp back there looks healthy, no alopecia and its just the way my hair grows...i dunno what to believe anymore...im trying to give it one year, really good care, no extension braids and see what happens...i also started being compliant by taking my iron tabs twice a day, started a week ago

Last edited:

Seven7

I am defiantly in this group. :wallbash: I am temped to cut it even, but I am afraid that it will just grow in the same because it has always been this way. I'm going to see what it look like at my next relaxer and if it is still stupid I am going to even it out and pray for the best.

peppers01

I too have the W shape. I know exactly where mine came from. I was taking flax oil faithfully for about 2 years and my hair was doing great. I stopped taking it for a couple of months and was constantly wearing tight ponytails for my QW. I noticed when I washed that there an extra amount of hair breaking there. To remedy the problem, I've stopped wearing ponytails, started back taking my flax, and keep my hair wrapped in a stocking cap with my QW wig; without manipulating it until I wash. That area that is broken really bad (center of where ponytail was) I keep braided in a single braid, so that I don't do anything to it. I was reading about Nexxus biotin creme, and I'm really interested in trying it out ( as if I need anything else). My hair has grown out a lot from the way it was, thanks to advice on this board. The first pic is from Dec 2008, second one March 2008.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Peppers01, your hair has done very well. I may be calling you to hook me up for the summer...straight-hair naturals and houston are not a good match..lol~ ( i miss you, chica)

I'm tempted to chop, but i wanna see the fruits of my labor with my cocktail...i'm getting very good growth. i'm gonna hang until i'm almost "fully" bsl and hopefully my hair would have caught up by then. i keep cutting and it doesn't seem to do much.

also, that area isn't 'that' noticeable, but when my hair begins to revert, you can see it. I'll take Lavendar's advice and the advice of a few other ladies who told me to stop cutting and just let my hair impress me. So that's what i'll do....

Lyoness

I have trouble with the W shape too.. I tend to style my hair in a pony.. at night I used to divide my hair into two buns on either side of my head by wrapping my hair around itself..I have a feeling that may have been the cause.. I'm not doing that any longer so I'll see how that turns out..

LushLox

I'm a fully paid up member, but I know exactly why. It's because of the pony tails that I used to always wear, and when I cut those out I reached for the butterfly clips, which only aided to weaken my already thin hair. So I have to cut these out of my hair styling options completely.

qwnbee1

This thread is for all those that have the infamous W shaped hair, where the middle part of the hair is noticably shorter than the sides. If you have this condition, what are you doing to get rid of it?

Also those that turned their hair from a W-Shape to a U/V-Shape/Blunt can you give the rest of us some pointers?

Right now, I am massaging the middle part with vatika oil every few days, I am also adding more moisture to that part. I can't figure out why my hair wouldn't grow out this shape.

i thought these ladies were cutting their hair this way...you mean it grows like that?! oh, well...this newbie still has a lot to learn...:perplexed

LongiLox

I too have the W shape. I know exactly where mine came from. I was taking flax oil faithfully for about 2 years and my hair was doing great. I stopped taking it for a couple of months and was constantly wearing tight ponytails for my QW. I noticed when I washed that there an extra amount of hair breaking there. To remedy the problem, I've stopped wearing ponytails, started back taking my flax, and keep my hair wrapped in a stocking cap with my QW wig; without manipulating it until I wash. That area that is broken really bad (center of where ponytail was) I keep braided in a single braid, so that I don't do anything to it. I was reading about Nexxus biotin creme, and I'm really interested in trying it out ( as if I need anything else). My hair has grown out a lot from the way it was, thanks to advice on this board. The first pic is from Dec 2008, second one March 2008.

That's awesome. It's really not that noticeable. With me you can a deep W; like the middle is SL and the right and left are past APL.

LongiLox

I have trouble with the W shape too.. I tend to style my hair in a pony.. at night I used to divide my hair into two buns on either side of my head by wrapping my hair around itself..I have a feeling that may have been the cause.. I'm not doing that any longer so I'll see how that turns out..

I'm a fully paid up member, but I know exactly why. It's because of the pony tails that I used to always wear, and when I cut those out I reached for the butterfly clips, which only aided to weaken my already thin hair. So I have to cut these out of my hair styling options completely.

I think you both maybe on to something. Pre-lhcf I also wore ponytails; that was my common hair style. But now I do low buns (by twisting the hair in a circle) and it's still in same area. Perhaps I also need to incorporate another protective style?

LushLox

I think you both maybe on to something. Pre-lhcf I also wore ponytails; that was my common hair style. But now I do low buns (by twisting the hair in a circle) and it's still in same area. Perhaps I also need to incorporate another protective style?

When I'm bunning, I have to wear it very loose, using just a few hair pins. (see below). It's not always the most prettiest look, but it's either that or continue to lose my hair in that section. :nono: