the way you sleep really affects your hair

jd_bdfly

So the last time I went to get a touchup and a trim, when my stylist went to do the trim, she asked me if I tended to sleep on my right side. I was like yeah, how'd you know? Well she said the left side had a lot more growth than the right side, and she pointed out that most of the length she had to trim to even my hair up came off the left. I guess sleeping on one side all the time means that side of my hair grows slower. Since the touchup, which was a little over a month ago, I've definitely noticed that I have a lot more new growth on the left. Other than consciously making sure to alternate which side to sleep on or scalp massages (which I've been doing), any suggestions on how to get the right side to "speed up" to be on pace with the left? Anyone else notice this problem?

YuNg

i notice when i wash my hair and go to sleep. I wake up with my hair really thin and and really short on the sides and on the back. I sleep on my back but i guess my head falls to the sides.

soulchild

I've noticed this as well.

jd_bdfly

i always knew that how you sleep plays a role in your ability to keep the hair you have on your head. hence the advice to wear scarves at night, etc. however, it is a real newsflash to me that the way i sleep also affects how fast my hair grows in the first place.

MoezThunder

You'll also find that whatever side you sleep on will be your thinnest side. a stylist friend of mine pointed that out to me as well.

MoezThunder

Well lets not forget that tricky forehead position we do just after a fresh roller set! Hey gotta be creative. Grow hair, Grow

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
Well lets not forget that tricky forehead position we do just after a fresh roller set! Hey gotta be creative. Grow hair, Grow

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL my stylist calls it 'sleepin pretty'

Isis

I've noticed this too. I guess I need to train myself to sleep on both sides. I would think the side we sleep on the most has more blood rushing to it, therefore more nutrients and growth. But I guess not...

NAY007

i noticed that too because i wear my hair in two braids a lot. and my left braid is always longer than my right one...i don't like it but that's how it always is. and when i go to sleep i lay on my stomach with my head turned either way. but i always wake up laying on my back...it's weird...

kasey

[ QUOTE ]
I would think the side we sleep on the most has more blood rushing to it, therefore more nutrients and growth. But I guess not...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing up this topic. But, I used to think like Isis. I seem to get more growth and better texture on my right and back sections of hair. I alternate during the night, but mostly sleep on my right side and back.

I read somewhere that baldness starts at the top of the head because that section doesn't get the stimulation that the back and sides get during sleep. And for me, the top and front sections don't seem to grow as fast as the back and sides.

babyblue

thats weird cause its the total opposite for me. i like to sleep on my right side and thats the side thats softer and grows longer. The left side which i never sleep on tends to grow slower. Ive been trying to alternate which sides i sleep on to try to counteract this but when i get up in the morning i always manage to wind up back on my right side lol.

quarsar

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
thats weird cause its the total opposite for me. i like to sleep on my right side and thats the side thats softer and grows longer. The left side which i never sleep on tends to grow slower. Ive been trying to alternate which sides i sleep on to try to counteract this but when i get up in the morning i always manage to wind up back on my right side lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that also, but like you the side that I do sleep on is longer and softer. I have tried alternating but end up on my right side as usual

soslychic

I sleep on both all during the night, but if anything I sleep on my left side more and that's side is thicker....huh....

bimbabe

I sleep on my right and only the hairline seems to be affected-where my scarf sometimes rubs against the hair.

Karonica

I have to agree with that one because I used to always sleep on my left, and that was the skimpiest side of my hair. Now, I try to switch up more often.