The worst hairstylist ever!!!!!

Deuces

My birthday was Sept 28th, and I wanted to have my ends cut because they were a bit thin. I was between SL and BSB at the time, and I knew it needed to be cut back to SL.

I was recovering from going to the stylist over a year ago. She had relaxed my new growth and then put relaxer on the rest of my hair! This caused my hair to be very brittle and thin, when my bday came around this year, only the ends remained to remind me of that bad relaxer that I got in Aug 2010.

So, fast forward to Sept 2011. My bf and I went to Irving, TX to celebrate, and I scheduled to get a conditioner and a hair cut from a woman named Melva who's salon is called Something Special Styling Salon.

First, she refused to give me a conditioner because she said it does not work without a shampoo first........I did not feel like arguing with her because I wanted to enjoy my bday weekend, so I decided to get the haircut without the conditioning treatment.

Well...

SHE CUT ALL OF MY HAIR OFF!!! I could not even say that I was ear length at the time because she gave me a very, very short bob with hair shorter than most people's big chops in the back.

Needless to say, I WAS ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED after all the work I'd put in to grow my hair as long as it was. I was about 10 wks post-relaxer, most of my hair was gone, and I did not know what to do for about a month, but I formulated a plan on getting my hair back.

1) Get a relaxer (completed on Oct 17, 2011)
2) I am going 10 months without any relaxers
3) I am only allowed to heat my hair (w/ the exception of DCing) three times before these 10 months are up
4) I am going to follow my regimen as precisely as possible.

I hope that you guys at LHCF can support me these next 10 months, and I hope I can see the growth that I want! Wish me luck!!

Pics attached:
1) My hair (wet) a few days after the cut
2) My hair when I had reached SL several months ago
3) Length check on Oct 23, 2011

*****There are more pics on my profile.*****

Attachments

• Sept 30, 2011 b.JPG
    Sept 30, 2011 b.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 390
  • Before cut (air dried).JPG
    Before cut (air dried).JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Oct 23, 2011 b.JPG
    Oct 23, 2011 b.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 368

brittle_hair

WTF?!!! That was not a trim!! Was there a communication breakdown between you and the hairdresser?

You woulda been better off getting your bf to trim it!

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I feel like giving that idiot a kick in her ARSE!!!! I am so pissed for you right now! She a crackhead....muss be. I am so sorry this happened to you OP *HUGS* You got a plan in place....just continue to stick with it. All the best!

miss_cheveious

I'm so confused as to why she did this. It wasn't even subtle or cut blunt!! So sorry OP, so glad you have the confidence and knowledge to overcome this.

MsDee14

I am so mad for you right now!
You should really call that salon, talk to the owner and get all of your money back.
I really don't understand how she could cut that much off without your permission. This is completely unacceptable. BUT on the brighter side, you have a great game plan in place and I'm sure your hair will grow back stronger and healthier then ever.

Natty_Virgo

Omg I would be in jail. I hope it grows back quickly. If u need anything else done this way as far as a relaxer there is someone named Lisa at Strand by Strand shop in Mansfield who is amazing.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

SkySurfer

WTFFFFF?
What in the world possessed this womannn?

Bright side, (as was said before): you get a chance to enjoy the ease of shorter hair and also to really baby your hair, so that when it is longer it will be lovely and healthy :)
Good luck on your next 10 months!

Janet'

I'm sorry this happened to you, but don't fret too bad, your hair will grow back!!! By the way, :welcome4: to the forum!!

bellebebe

This is why it's hard for me to trust other people with my hair. That's why I'm learning how to do ish my self. Tis all.

Tamster

I'm gonna be honest. No more stylists for you. Seriously. Not one but two catastrophes?

You gotta either 1) speak up 2) find a higher quality stylist that others have vouched for 3) DIY.

keepithealthy

OP I'm sorry this happened to you. With the help of this forum and healthy hair practices you will have a healthy head of hair in no time. I would recommend being a DIY'er.

niqu92

ommmgg what in shizznapps?!

did you research the stylist/salon before you went???before i go to a salon thats what i always do and ive never had a problem
but either way ommmmgg!thts sooo messed up!!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't understand how she got away with cutting your hair this short. Did she blindfold you or something? I don't get how you didn't see her or feel her cutting it this short. :perplexed

silenttullip

this is why my guy will continue trimming my hair or I'll do it...
I'm sorry it happened op but you seem strong and confident so you'll be fine

MsLi@512

exhibit A of why I D.I.Y. Keep going OP and really look into taking matters into your own hands. Trust and believe me when I tell you I have had too many of these horror stories than I care to even count prior to my hhj. Now I refuse to go to a stylist. Others can ruin in minutes what took you months or years to grow and accomplish.

melissa-bee

I'm sorry this happened to you.
You seem calm, collective and have a good plan so I hope your hair comes back better than before.

reeko43

Oh my gosh I so know how that feels. I am glad that this has not discouraged you and that you are determined to get your length back. Hang in there and stay away from stylists for awhile. If you decide to go back for a trim, have the stylist turn you facing the mirror and have her show you exactly what she is about to cut. If you don't feel comfortable, just leave. REsearch your stylists thoroughly

TonicaG

TonicaG
OMG! Do you have plans in place to sue that *****?!!! I would've been on the news - for that very reason I do my hair my darn self, it's very hard to trust stylists they are either unskilled or jealous!!!! I'm mad for you, there woulda been some furniture moving up in that place BEFORE I left that day! You didn't pay her did you?

BUT... on the bright side you can nurture your hair back healthy, stronger and longer.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
this is why i always have my clients facing the mirror when i cut and only trim in baby steps.
that is ridiculous how she could hack off the back of your hair like that..smh

cocosweet

There was obviously a serious communication glitch here. Usually a client tells the stylist what kind of cut and how much they want cut off. You can't just surrender yourself to the process when you're in the stylist's chair. Even after you tell them what you want, you still have to check in.

You can learn to trim your ends yourself; search the boards and you tube. :yep:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

How in the world did this happen??? I do not understand. Did you not see where it started getting shorter than what you desired? What did you say when she finished?

vestaluv1

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Although it was a set back, your hair will grow back to SL, APL and beyond and you can learn from that experience. I've never been to a stylist for a cut but I've had trims from stylists in the past.
Only ONE of them was a DECENT trim and the others left a lot to be desired so I've trimmed my own hair for the last couple of years.
DIY is sometimes the way to go unless you can find someone you can really trust with your hair.

Nonetheless, you've made excellent progress since that incident :yep:.

Good luck in the rest of your hair journey!!!

InchHighPrivateEye

Your hair is growing back nicely.

I would have spent the whole month of October in jail.

On the plus side, now you can start over with totally healthy hair. A stylist cut my hair way to short in the top in about 2007. I was really upset about it, but I got the back cut short too and my hair has been completely healthy with great ends ever since, so you do have that to look forward to :)

Last edited:

candy626

This sucks and I feel for you. I went to a salon years ago in HS and they cut me from bsb to shoulder length without asking. Ever since then I have learned to speak up
and become very cautious about who I let cut my hair.

It's so important to find a stylist you trust and maybe have a couple experiences with them to see how they listen to your needs BEFORE they cut your hair. Particularly if you want to keep your length.

So sorry this happened.

Guitarhero

Honest opinion? I can see why she cut off so much - the ends look damaged. Most hairdressers will use shampoo to remove dirt from hair, opening up the cuticles, then condition it to lay them down again and add oils back to the strands. If I were you, I'd not get any more home relaxers. Go to a professional to avoid damage. Select a stylist that is recommended from various people who have present healthy hair.

candy626

I was recovering from going to the stylist over a year ago. She had relaxed my new growth and then put relaxer on the rest of my hair! This caused my hair to be very brittle and thin, when my bday came around this year, only the ends remained to remind me of that bad relaxer that I got in Aug 2010.

Ive heard similar stories many times on this board. I wish somebody would try to put relaxer over my whole length. As soon as I saw them do that I would make them wash it out. Id rather my stylist be pissed and me walk out with unfinished hair, then end up losing all my hair to damage.

kupenda

Don't be sad OP. look at it as a chance to start fresh. This go around, you will already know what your hair likes and how to handle it. You are pretty much guaranteed a head of healthier hair.

But I do hope you refused to pay. I would not have paid someone for something I didn't ask for. And if she had a problem with that then she could remedy it by offering me free DCs for the duration of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

naturalmanenyc

I really think I would have been arrested. Looking at those photos has me ready to slap Melva's. I hope you did NOT pay her!

My old stylist has told me how this happens, some people get "lost" in the cut and keep going over the same section over and over while the hair is getting shorter and shorter. She always did my trims with me facing the mirror (her idea not mine).

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am not going to incite you to get further upset. I am sorry hon. You can move on past this and past that heiffer's haircut. *HUGS*