They Have Hair Problems Too! Spin-Off to: Comments I Get on YouTube

Stormy

I was researching different threads and boards on how long it takes to get from SL to APL, then APL to BSL. Then, I was searching for one of our threads about if you've never had long hair before. I know I've read it, but maybe I didn't type in the right key words. Anyway, I ran across this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51934

trendsetta25 and others I know that you know WW have hair problems too, and although I know it's still rare to see a BW in real life with WL hair, I still think those naysayers on Youtube have no idea what they're talking about (or maybe they think we don't know). I found this thread interesting.

VERY interesting. I think most black women assume that yt women grow hair like a Barbie doll with a crank in her back/arm (wherever it was, remember?? Lol).

This would explain why the ones with long hair are always flipping it, tousling it, swinging it etc.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

VERY interesting. I think most black women assume that yt women grow hair like a Barbie doll with a crank in her back/arm (wherever it was, remember?? Lol).

This would explain why the ones with long hair are always flipping it, tousling it, swinging it etc.

I agree.:yep: I think yt women's hair appeared longer than it was. Once I started my journey, watching YouTube videos and visiting the forum, I noticed their once classic length to me was really only apl or bsl. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing!!

Honestly though, I am not concerned with their hair problems.:nono:

People on the internet are ruthless because they are behind a computer screen. It’s easy for a coward to grow a pair of steel balls and post BS when repercussions are non-existent for their actions.

At the end of the day, when you put out videos, you just have to be prepared and expect some level foolishness. It’s almost like you must have thick skin when you put out yourself out on Youtube and other social media.

I agree.:yep: I think yt women's hair appeared longer than it was. Once I started my journey, watching YouTube videos and visiting the forum, I noticed their once classic length to me was really only apl or bsl. :rolleyes:

Right! Now at MBL I'm more conscious of their LACK of length. Walking through Walmart like "My hair's longer than hers... Hers too..." Lol!
That's prolly why my hair is falling out now. *blushing*

Lord forgive me!!!!!!

This is not news to anyone that has spent anytime around non-black women. I never knew people thought white people had magical hair that never split, broke off, or shed until I came to this forum. A lot of them have very fine hair and deal with splits. I have an Indian friend that lurks here for tips on air drying and roller setting (Hi R :wave:) because she had to cut off 5 inches of damaged ends from too much heat.

But, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what their hair issues are or are not. This hair journey should be fun and about the individual.

Its definitely no secret but, I think the OP was just trying to shed light on the fact that not all WW have *effortlessly* long hair; something I've heard many black women assume.

IMHO, this post displayed irony that was almost comical... Not that hair troubles are funny for ANY woman but, for anyone unaware or who may have been discouraged by stereotypes or racist YouTube commentary, that link nearly levels the playing field.

If long hair makes a black woman a unicorn, hard-to-grow hair must make a ww feel like...

A black woman.

ETR: soapbox chatter

Last edited:
This is not news to anyone that has spent anytime around non-black women. I never knew people thought white people had magical hair that never split, broke off, or shed until I came to this forum. A lot of them have very fine hair and deal with splits. I have an Indian friend that lurks here for tips on air drying and roller setting (Hi R :wave:) because she had to cut off 5 inches of damaged ends from too much heat.

But, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what their hair issues are or are not. This hair journey should be fun and about the individual.

All of that, especially the bolded.

White women also think black women can not grow long hair :nono: I had a co worker make a statement about black women not being able to grow long hair :rolleyes: and that it's based on genetics.

I think before some started a HHJ, their natural hair was not a priority. Your stylist was cutting it off and telling you it's not going to grow any longer. Most of or all of your family and friends also had short hair. That one cousin with 2 ish type hair, who's real daddy is suspect, didn't count :look:

No matter who thought what and why they thought that way is irrelevant. OP's link to the yt women forum will be helpful to a lot of people.

Thanks OP!

Honestly, I didn't think that the women on this forum didn't visit other forums by other ethic groups. Guess I was wrong... I get useful hair tips from everywhere and honestly, most of the hair tips going around are very similar. I think people are missing out if they narrow their view to only what "black" people do for their hair. It's about texture, not the color of your skin... and Caucasian people's hair vary just as much as ours, especially since a lot of them use A LOT of harsh chemical treatments on their hair just as frequently or moreso than we do. Ask Caucasian women what their real hair color is and half of them probably couldn't tell you :lol:

Honestly, I didn't think that the women on this forum didn't visit other forums by other ethic groups. Guess I was wrong... I get useful hair tips from everywhere and honestly, most of the hair tips going around are very similar. I think people are missing out if they narrow their view to only what "black" people do for their hair. It's about texture, not the color of your skin... and Caucasian people's hair vary just as much as ours, especially since a lot of them use A LOT of harsh chemical treatments on their hair just as frequently or moreso than we do. Ask Caucasian women what their real hair color is and half of them probably couldn't tell you :lol:

Me either.....I've been on lhc longer than I've been on hair

Even YouTube is filled with all types of women complaining about their hair and sharing solutions.

This is not news to anyone that has spent anytime around non-black women.

True, that's why I said @trendsetta and others I know that you know WW have hair problems too. There are a lot who still don't know this though, like most black men.

I never knew people thought white people had magical hair that never split, broke off, or shed until I came to this forum. A lot of them have very fine hair and deal with splits.

I knew about the splits and breakage from shampoo and conditioning commercials geared toward them. I also remember from high school a lot of WW frying their hair with curly perms, bleach, etc...

I thought the different reasons they stated for not having long hair until now were quite interesting. Especially the ones who complained that their stylist told them they couldn't grow it long. Now that WAS surprising!

Some of them are lurkers in here.

From what I discovered some, some of them are women who never grew their hair past their shoulders.

Also some of us are lurkers on that forum as well. :yep: You find good infos on both sides.

I was researching different threads and boards on how long it takes to get from SL to APL, then APL to BSL. Then, I was searching for one of our threads about if you've never had long hair before. I know I've read it, but maybe I didn't type in the right key words. Anyway, I ran across this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51934

@trendsetta25 and others I know that you know WW have hair problems too, and although I know it's still rare to see a BW in real life with WL hair, I still think those naysayers on Youtube have no idea what they're talking about (or maybe they think we don't know). I found this thread interesting.

Its definitely no secret but, I think the OP was just trying to shed light on the fact that not all WW have *effortlessly* long hair; something I've heard many black women assume.

IMHO, this post displayed irony that was almost comical... Not that hair troubles are funny for ANY woman but, for anyone unaware or who may have been discouraged by stereotypes or racist YouTube commentary, that link nearly levels the playing field.

If long hair makes a black woman a unicorn, hard-to-grow hair must make a ww feel like...

A black woman.

ETR: soapbox chatter

Exactly! That's what I was doing just shedding light. So true the irony. :yep:

I thought the different reasons they stated for not having long hair until now were quite interesting. Especially the ones who complained that their stylist told them they couldn't grow it long. Now that WAS surprising!

I am sure the info will help people OP. Happy to know white stylists are also sabotaging their customers. :lol:

White women also think black women can not grow long hair :nono: I had a co worker make a statement about black women not being able to grow long hair :rolleyes: and that it's based on genetics.

I think before some started a HHJ, their natural hair was not a priority. Your stylist was cutting it off and telling you it's not going to grow any longer. Most of or all of your family and friends also had short hair. That one cousin with 2 ish type hair, who's real daddy is suspect, didn't count :look:

No matter who thought what and why they thought that way is irrelevant. OP's link to the yt women forum will be helpful to a lot of people.

Thanks OP!

No thank YOU! You are so right! The other thing I was trying to do is show trendsetter that those WW who were tripping need to take a seat. I commented in her thread that I would post this. And if any others who don't know, they don't have to feel bad.

Another interesting problem they mentioned was thinning as it grew longer. I've been hearing about this a lot lately. I was at the spa in the locker room one day and a member commented on my tuck-n-roll. She said I whipped my hair up so fast and effortless and she could never do that. I thought her hair was pretty at APL and I commented on how I'm trying to get to her length! LOL! She said she may cut hers back to SL because the longer it gets the thinner it gets and she can't do anything with it. I was surprised at how she was just gushing over MY hair. LOL!

I'll bet some of you ladies with long hair get that too, the compliments from WW, but that was my first so I won't lie, it kind of made me feel good.

I have friends (again WW) who all cut their hair to SL for that same reason.

:yep: to all of this. A lot of my favorite products and a few techniques are things I learned from other cultures.

I'm sure other women on this forum visit other forums as well. I never really thought about it. I myself visit other ethnic forums based on what I'm interested in. The thread and link was just to point out interesting facts for those who don't know due to the comments that were made by WW about black women growing long hair. That's why it's a spin-0ff.

Back when I lurked this forum, most searches led me to either here or LHC. I learned a good amount of information from there, as well as here and Indian websites. I don't really care about skin color, just about technique.

I visit LHC because my searches sometimes lead me to it, but it is not very active anymore.

2 out of the 12yt women in my class this morning had BSL hair. Everyone else had that stringy shoulder to almost apl. The 2women who had bsl wear their hair in a bun to class a lot.

Back