Thick haired self relaxers - please help

R2D2

Hi all,

I'm a natural with thick, mid back length 3C/4B hair and I love my hair. However, I have to wear a medical device on my head that requires a magnet, it's not working out despite trying stronger magnets and braiding my hair. So I am doing some research to see if I can have a head of relatively healthy relaxed hair. Reducing the volume of my hair will hopefully help me get better use out of my medical device which I need to hear.

From what I have read on LHCF, it seems that self relaxing is the way to go for more control on hair health and to avoid overprocessing. Plus I would hate to be tied to a salon too. I am planning on getting a hair dresser to do the virgin relax and a cut as it would be a major job and then start self relaxing when I feel ready.

Are there any self relaxers there who have thick hair as well? How do you do it? Is it frustrating to deal with 10 weeks (or so) of growth? I have used henna and indigo so I'm used to slopping mud on but I imagine having to be careful not to overlap with relaxers will be tricky, especially at the back of my head. What happens if you overlap a little bit or are inexact the first time around?

I'm planning on starting with ORS no lye relaxer since it seems to have such good feedback and perhaps will transition to the lye formula once I get the hang of it, as I understand it's better for the hair, although more risky for the scalp.

R2D2

Bumping this for a response. I would really appreciate one. If this is not the right board due to most people being natural (which I understand) then perhaps someone could send me a PM recommending a website where I might have more luck?

Thanks for any help. This is my first time posting although I have lurked for a long time.

bebezazueta

Hello,

I'm a self relaxer and i stretch from 12-16 weeks. I'm 4a and I can manage my new growth pretty well. I'm a henna head to and it helped me so much in my journey.

Do I overlap by accident sometimes? Yes
What happens to my hair when I do this? So far nothing. I do a mild protein before neutralizing and shampoo 3 times leaving the last lather in for 10 minutes. Then I do roux porosity control to bring ph down further and seal cuticles and then I do an overnite dc in which I add a capful of colorful neutral protein filler (liquid protein from sallys) to ORS replenishing pak and con dish that comes with my relaxer (silken child no lye regular)

I don't do correctives. I just get it on thenext relaxer and really baby my new growth.

HTH! Also check the relaxer threads by sunnieb. Can u post your link to the relaxer guide please.

Thanks

Solitude

Sorry, problems with phone app - keeps rebooting and erasing my response.

Will respond by tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Hi,

My daughter wears bilateral cochlears for hearing. She is severly (profoundly) deaf and she got her 1st implant 5 years ago & her second one 3 years ago. Anyway she has been relaxed and I am now transitioning her but what I do to keep her coils on her head is make two small single braids (not too small) on bothe sides of her head and place the braids through the slits on the coils and then place a rubber band the hold the braids together and that works fine even with her new growth coming in now that I;m transitioning her back to natural. I used to cut the portion of her hair but then I realized I didnt have to cut her beautiful hair to make this work. HTH and just wanted to share in case you do not want to relax and want to stay natural. Even if you do relax it still may not hold just bc of the placement if the part under the skin and the braid thing would work. I'm not sure how you are braiding your hair but try the individuals for the area the coil will stick to and lmk if it helped. God Bless!

Sorry forgot to say that it is 2 braids on each side so total of 4 small individual braids.

Last edited:

ATLcutey20

3 things have helped me to have thick relaxed hair:

1) I stopped going to the hair salon. They always relaxed my whole head, burned my scalp/ears, and left the relaxer on too long.

2) I apply either vaseoline or coconut hair to my relaxed hair before relaxing. Even if I get a lil relaxer on it, I don't worry. The oil protects my hair from being overprocessed.

3) I started doing the mid-protein step. After rinsing out the relaxer, I apply Aphogee 2min Reconstructor for 5mins, and then rinse. Then, I use the neturalizing shampoo. This keeps my hair strong.

Now I never get limp, lifeless hair. HTH!

Last edited:

R2D2

Thank you everyone! There are a lot of fantastic recommendations and ideas. I would feel happier about being relaxed if I could be in control of the process and probably would not relax if I can't do it myself. Any more feedback would be most welcome :)

Hairpleezegrow - it's lovely to hear of another experience with cochlear implants - I'm bilateral too. :) I currently self braid and tie the braids back so that they hold the coil in the right position underneath the braid, otherwise the coil would fall off. I also always have to wash and freshly braid at least once a week (optimally twice a week) to make sure the coil can connect to the internal implant. If there is a lot of build up this will interfere with it.

sunnieb

:woohoo: another relaxed head came out of lurking!

I can't post links from my phone, but I have an album in my fotki showing how I self relax.

Sent from my Comet

Solitude

Okay, I think the ladies here have already made some good suggestions!

If you decide to relax, you should consider stretching for 12-16 weeks. If you can't go that long, try to make sure you have at least an inch of new growth to avoid overlapping.

I don't do the mid-step protein treatment, but many people do to retain the strength and thickness of their hair. You can also "texlax" to retain some of your natural curl pattern.

I kind of believe that people with hair just have thick hair naturally, but incorporating products with ceramics and/or panthenol can help your hair appear visibly thicker. A good protein / moisture balance will also help you avoid relaxer breakage.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. If you decide not to relax, there is a wonderfully supportive community of naturals as well!

Oh, I've also been a no-lye relaxer for years, but I do think that lye is better for your hair.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

R2D2

SunnieB - thank you so much for posting your album, you have beautiful hair and being walked through the process is so helpful! It's really clever how you twisted the previously relaxed part of the hair leaving the new growth exposed :yep:

Solitude - my hair is fast growing (which is a pain when you have greys!) so it's good to hear that is is an advantage in terms of avoiding overlapping. Thank you very much for that point.

Last edited:

sunnieb

SunnieB - thank you so much for posting your album, you have beautiful hair and being walked through the process is so helpful! It's really clever how you twisted the previously relaxed part of the hair leaving the new growth exposed :yep:

Solitude - my hair is fast growing (which is a pain when you have greys!) so it's good to hear that is is an advantage in terms of avoiding overlapping. Thank you very much for that point.

Thanks! If you need anymore help, just post! :)

Sent from my Comet