Thin in the back on one side.

peachykeen

I have been noticing women with ends that are thinning on just one side of the hair in the back. What causes it to just thin one side. I use to get this before I stopped relaxing.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I have been noticing women with ends that are thinning on just one side of the hair in the back. What causes it to just thin one side. I use to get this before I stopped relaxing.

I had thinning on the back and on one side before LHCF and realized it was from cuddling with my head resting on my BF's shoulder/arm. Uggh! His deodorant, sweat and everything was probably getting in my hair. :nono:

peachykeen

For real? That is hilarious:lachen:! It must come from rubbing up against something on a constant basis. You hair looks great though now. Its full and healthy all the way across.

taz007

I am trying to figure that out myself. Either my hair grows faster on the right side or it is breaking on the left. I should have it figured out by my next touch up.

This has always been the case for me even when I was natural for 9 years.

peachykeen

Yeah, Im nervous about this. My hair has typically done this too. Your hair seems to be coming along nicely now though. So what have you done to remedy it? Do you trim your ends? Or just let it grow?

taz007

Yes, I have been trimming my hair a lot! I think since my August pic in my siggy, I have cut at least 4 inches :ohwell:

Solitude

My hair did this before I started my HHJ - not a noticeable thinness, but it seemed to be uneven. Every now and then a stylist would point out that my hair was thicker on one side. I thought it was wrapping, but I continue to wrap my hair and it doesn't grow (appear) uneven anymore. I think it's from sleeping on the same side of one's head all the time.

Could be a lot of factors, though.

virtuenow

It's probably the side of the head the relaxer is placed on first; or the last spot the relaxer is rinsed from. The chemicals (caustic) in relaxer tend to eat through hair- but not alot of people acknowledge this.

taz007

It's probably the side of the head the relaxer is placed on first; or the last spot the relaxer is rinsed from. The chemicals (caustic) in relaxer tend to eat through hair- but not alot of people acknowledge this.
Not the case for me. I always begin relaxing on my right side and my left side is the problem.

I think you are right, Solitude. I do sleep on my left side.

peachykeen

Oh snaps you all got it! The thin side is the one thats taking the abuse more than the other. For some it may be chemicals, but for me I think its the friction.