Things that cause setbacks- list them here

Ganjababy

Happy New Year Ladies.

Can you list things that has led to setbacks in your hair journey. It could be anything that led to breakage, dry hair, the overall condition of your hair etc. We can learn from each other. Of course, something that may cause a setback for me may not affect someone else in the same way. However some of us will find answers to some of the problems we may be having with our hair.

1. I have noticed that if I wait longer than 7 days to wash my hair I experience more shedding than usual. I get more shedding with the white bulbs at the end and it really gets excessive by 10 days after I wash my hair. I know that a lot of people do not experience this but for me it is a major problem so I never go without washing my hair less than once per week and actually wash 3 times per week now with conditioners.

2. Excessive trimmings leads to setback in length retention (yeah, I know, so obvious). Pre LHCF (and up until this summer) I was so scissor happy!

3. For me as a newly natural moisture is important. 2 days without proper moistursing products leads to tough, tough, TOUGH hair. If I do not use the correct moisturising products I have a totally different head of hair, even co-workers have noticed this.

4. Too much protein makes my natural hair break excessively. In fact, I do not think I need hardcore protein as a natural. I do use ORS pak as I do find it moisturising but I would never use something like aphogee as a natural.

5. When I was relaxed I used to lose a lot of hair roller setting weekly, then I found out that I was applying my hair too tightly onto the hair rollers causing it to stretch and then snap back and break when it dried. So when I combed my dry hair I would have broken hair all over the floor.

6. When my hair reaches shoulder length I find that unless I wear protective styles (up and off my shoulder) I will never pass shoulder length. I tried this earlier in the year and passed shoulder length! I was almost armpit length. I then promptly cut off the relaxed ends though so now I am 100% natural neck length (stretched).

7. Using the wrong products have messed up my hair. Too many times to go into!

8. Overusing flat irons made my hair so thin and see through. I know some people have been able to use flat irons regularly without any adverse effects, for me this is not the case. Once weekly use leads to thin see through hair for me, even with heat protectant.

9. Regular use of sulfate shampoos turns my fine hair into a wiry tough mess- more so since becoming natural.

10. Sleeping on cotton pillowcases without a satin or silk scarf or bonnet = :hair: wiry tough dry hair

11. Improper detangling techniques leads to thinner hair and no retention for me.

12. Jumping on every bandwagon can lead to setbacks

Thats all I can think of now. Please list things that have caused you setbacks. TIA:yep:

Last edited:

MoniintheMiddle

Cool Thread! Let's see, below are things that have caused breakage for me:

1-Overprocessing hair or not properly caring for underprocessed hair.

2-Too much manipulation of the hair.

3-Not being able to determine if I needed more moisture or more protein (preLHCF)

4-Too much heat---improper use of heat

5-Too much tension on my edges

6-Not getting rid of split ends immediately allowing them to continue to split

7-Not speaking up when a stylist is mishandling my hair

newsgrl

I'd like to add on what has been my downfall this year- trying to go natural, yet blowdrying and flat ironing my hair every week! I have lost quite a bit of hair this year. I've decided that whenever I decide to go natural, I should go "straight natural" and only straighten it for special occasions! But 2009 is a brand new year and I plan to get back on course with healthy relaxed (for now) hair!

The Princess

For me:

Using excessive heat
Not using the proper moisturizer
Excessive combing
Relaxing my hair to often
DC'ing only when i get it professional done (DC'ing weekly as improve my hair big time)

Thats is it for me, before my pre LHCF days. Even then my hair would grow, but only to SL and above and break off. I didn't know how to grow my hair on my own and didn't even thing I could go past SL. Now I know the secret (LHCF) and APL here I come.

loulou82

1. Not properly detangling the hair especially when undoing braids, twists, and weaves

2. Excessive use of heat

3. Not giving the hair's ends the proper moisture, protein, protection they require

4. Over styling/ over manipulation

5. Over processing, improper processing, or multiple double processes

Nya33

Great thread!

Excessive heat either flat ironing and blow drying used to do everyday ended up with brillo pad hair!
When in braids infrequent washing and lack of moisture on braid length.
Not using the right products for my hair type.
Too much shampoo not enough conditioner.
Using glue tracks big mistake for me back in the day!
Brusing my hair, not detangling.
Im still learning!

girlyprincess23

2008 has been my year of setbacks and these are the things I have learned throughout the year that lead to setbacks:

stretching past my hair's breaking point of 12-14 weeks (thinning)
letting people braid my hair too tight (edge loss)
trying to take out weave/ braids while hair was wet (bald spots)
not caring for ends while in kinkys (about 5 inches of split ends)
not insisting that the braiders braid past my hair before dipping it in hot water (ravaged ends)
not trimming regularly (ravaged ends that only made more ravaged ends)

msdevo

For me my main setback is wearing a wig cap. It seems to break my hairline off a lil. So now in 09 I have vowed to shy away from wearing the wigs for a while to get my hair back.

Lucky's Mom

Happy New Year!!!!
What a great Thread!

I will add to what you said..... in red...

1. I have noticed that if I wait longer than 7 days to wash my hair I experience more shedding than usual. I get more shedding with the white bulbs at the end and it really gets excessive by 10 days after I wash my hair. I know that a lot of people do not experience this but for me it is a major problem so I never go without washing my hair less than once per week and actually wash 3 times per week now with conditioners.
I wash once a week.... Shedding - just happened for me with my last flat iron... I am scurred now... won't be Doing the RUNWAY thang till June....

2. Excessive trimmings leads to setback in length retention (yeah, I know, so obvious). Pre LHCF (and up until this summer) I was so scissor happy!
I am not scissor happy... Just a split end :bat: Ninja!!!! I am never cutting my hair again.

3. For me as a newly natural moisture is important. 2 days without proper moistursing products leads to tough, tough, TOUGH hair. If I do not use the correct moisturising products I have a totally different head of hair, even co-workers have noticed this.
YES. OH So True..... Baggies, Steam treatments and long term conditioning changed my hair( with the RIGHT condish)

4. Too much protein makes my natural hair break excessively. In fact, I do not think I need hardcore protein as a natural. I do use ORS pak as I do find it moisturising but I would never use something like aphogee as a natural.

I only use Eggs or Yogurt for Protein... and I don't like Yogurt on my hair anymore.. So that is gone for 2009.

5. When I was relaxed I used to lose a lot of hair roller setting weekly, then I found out that I was applying my hair too tightly onto the hair rollers causing it to stretch and then snap back and break when it dried. So when I combed my dry hair I would have broken hair all over the floor.

:rolleyes: The relaxer days are long behind me....

6. When my hair reaches shoulder length I find that unless I wear protective styles (up and off my shoulder) I will never pass shoulder length. I tried this earlier in the year and passed shoulder length! I was almost armpit length. I then promptly cut off the relaxed ends though so now I am 100% natural neck length (stretched).

No comment But I understand/ can relate.

7. Using the wrong products have messed up my hair. Too many times to go into!

GIRL - YES.:lachen:

8. Overusing flat irons made my hair so thin and see through. I know some people have been able to use flat irons regularly without any adverse effects, for me this is not the case. Once weekly use leads to thin see through hair for me, even with heat protectant.

I think the over use of heat in the last years of my relaxers was :hair:DEATH to my hair... and I don't know about once a week on natural hair...I am tooo scurred to do that.... maybe every other week like Pink Skates...... or once a month...

9. Regular use of sulfate shampoos turns my fine hair into a wiry tough mess- more so since becoming natural.

I believe that Sulfate Shamppos are Best to Clean the following....Dishes, Tubs, and Shop Floors. Not hair.
I have not used them in YEARS. It Chewed my hair.

10. Sleeping on cotton pillowcases without a satin or silk scarf or bonnet = wiry tough dry hair
I have been wrapping my hair for at least 20 years.... Now - it is wrappedin Fine Silk.:yep:

11. Improper detangling techniques leads to thinner hair and no retention for me.

YES.... It does...I use Conditioning treatments to help with tangles....The Right Condish will MELT TANGLES!!!

12. Jumping on every bandwagon can lead to setbacks

I rememeber the MOLASSES treatment - Oh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I had a Wirey horrible mess on my hands... Bad memories.I had no idea what I was doing.... Now I do....:yep:

13....Small Braids on Long hair.... Will KILL your progress!!!!! It killed the thickness and all the growth I had....
ONE bad hair appointment can set you back 6 months.... That will never happen again....I did not ask for Small Braids.... But them HOES.....:bat: did it anyways......

14. Intermittent vitamin usage..... Can lead to problems....So Start your vitamins TODAY!!!!! and don't stop................

15. Not drinking enough water.... I have setbacks ( breaks, snaps, and the Like) when I don't become what my dh calls " a water freak"..............

Also - Using Comb too much...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

Bunning will damage my ends if I let them get tucked under the scrunchy. Using the hairagami has helped a lot with this.

Weaves are a no go for me. They itch so much no matter what I do, and I just can't stand it.

Going more than 3 days without co-washing is the path to ruin for my mane.

Artemis

1. Self-relaxing (inconsistencies in straightness along the length caused breakage)

2. Not trimming - I found out that when you are growing out damage, you must trim a little more often (and a little more hair each time) than if you are just maintaining and/or growing out length (in which less frequent trims/dusting occurs--less hair is cut each time, too). I put the cart before the horse for over a year :wallbash:

3. Comparing my hair to other members on the board (low hair-esteem is dangerous) and doing what everyone else is doing :nono:

4. Not using common sense (like applying more moisture to already soggy mushy strands :wallbash:) (see above re: #3)

5. Not sleeping with hair covered/or with appropriate pillowcase.

6. Impatience (again see above re: #3)

Last edited:

SimpleKomplexity

I have fien hair

Combing too much or too roughly

Not wearing updos enough

Forgetting to moisturize and seal EVERY night

Getting a relaxer every 5 weeks

Forgetting to drink water, take vitamins, etc

Anashja

• Excessive heat
  • Scissor-happy stylists
  • Not dusting regularly

OT- I have watched that trailer 3x and I'm like...I dont remember this in the book ...but it looks so ridiculous... Im so excited... **sigh** ...July!

Platinum

Removing braids and sew-ins then, relaxing on the same day.:spank:
Allowing stylists to convince me that I need a relaxer immediately before installing a sew-in.

WriterGirl

Great thread!

Scissor-happy stylists--I'll concur on that one. I always thought "trimming" made your hair grow...uh, not really.

SLS shampoos--I always wondered why my hair felt stripped. My hair doesn't like them.

Keeping ends protected at night--if I don't cover my hair (scarf and satin pillowcase--it's a crunchy mess.

Moisture/Protein balance. Too much protein is just as bad. I'm glad that I finally tried the ORS pak. My hair loves it.

Nutrition. I noticed when I drank my 80 oz, took my Omega 3-6-9 and multivitamin, my hair always thrived.

Stress. I started taking yoga and it has helped me relax. Also exercising 3 times a week keeps the endorphins up in my system.

ShaniKeys

1. not DCing on a regular basis
  2. using direct heat (flat iron) every week --> you'll have hay for hair
  3. using harsh shampoos that contain sulfates
  4. product build-up/flaky scalp/dandruff

prospurr4

For me, it has been:

- poor diet/insufficient water intake/lack of exercise
- chemical overprocessing
- abuse of direct heat
- inadequate moisture
- breakage from clothing and cotton pillowcases
- rough handling/detangling
- excessive combing and brushing
- damaging hair accessories
- protein overload

Shay72

Natural, 4A
SLS poos
Too much heat
Wearing hair down everyday
Pulling the relaxer through hair every relaxer
Not wearing anything on hair at night

angellazette

I've suffered some major setbacks in the last 5 or 6 months.

Bunning - I started bunning a few months ago and the left side in the back has broken down to one inch. I didn't realize how bad it was until this past week.

Not enough protein/Elasticity - my hair is just coming out in clumps when wet but horribly dry when...dry. I don't think I have enough OR the right kind of protein in my regimen. Using Aveda DR or Joico Kpak wasn't enough and until I recently left Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor in my hair for like 2 days, it was really bad.

Detangling - relates to #2. Stretchy when wet so it's breaking easily...dry as sahara AFTER I detangle and braid up so I feel like I'm ripping my hair out. I really need to get more of shescentit.com products because that really helped with the moisture problem.

So now I'm back to wearing twists until I decide what will become of my hair in 2009...:pullhair:

msa

Things I have noticed from setback threads...

1. Staying in the chair even though the stylist is not listening to your directions or begins doing things you don't like such as: trimming without asking or too much, not using a heat protectant, ripping through your hair with a comb, burning your hair, braiding too tight, leaving the relaxer on too long, etc.

2. Trying out new products without first researching the ingredients to see if they will agree with your hair or if you've used them in the past with negative results.

3. Not following directions or doing enough research when doing a new (sometimes complicated) treatment like henna or relaxing.

suburbanbushbabe

Protein overload; I became protein sensitive
Not moisturizing ends enough or protecting them
Glycerine in the colder weather doesn't work for me

newflowers

lack of consistency - learning new and better ways to take care of our hair; getting rid of the old myths about black hair care; learning which products work and which don't; the processes of washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, roller setting, air drying, and others all take time - it's so easy to slip into a "I'll do it tomorrow" mindset or have "life" happen and the first thing neglected is the self, plain old-fashioned laziness, end of the day tiredness - all of these and more can lead to being inconsistent and not doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done. And lack of consistency can easily and quickly ruin all of the hard work.

lack of patience - I don't know about you ladies, but I want what I want, and I want what I want right now - and that includes healthier and longer hair. Yet growing hair is a biological process that takes time. And sometimes I don't want to give hair growing the time it needs. I thought about this when reading Flowerhair's post in which she said she's been growing her hair since 1995. Time, I know what to do - I just need time (and to keep doing the right things). I've been working on growing my hair for two years, yet I get impatient which, when I think about it, is rather silly on my part.

getting carried away - I think we want so desperately for our hair to grow longer, we try everything new thing that comes along. And I like trying because in doing so, I've learned new things and found new products that do work, but it is SO EASY to go off the deep end. And of course, there is the fun and excitement of learning about new products and buying them and using them and then another new one and antoher new one and another new one until the cupboards are filled with stuff we're never going to use. I recently moved and had to pack my closet that had so much stuff I've bought, used once or twice, and put in the cupboard. Yet the same few products that I use all of the time are being used and replaced - yet I still buy more. Well not right now because my DH is end my life if I buy more stuff after the Phyto friends and family sale - and after all that money I mean dead, stabbed, murdered.:killlurk:

He obviously does not realize how much money I SAVED by buying on sale everything at one time. :angel:

Domestic hair issues aside, for me, and from what I read, lack of consistency, lack of patience, and getting carried away are major causes for setbacks.

Renewed1

Using jetset rollers (tore up my hair)
protein overload on my hair
NOT deep conditioning weekly
NOT exercising and drinking plenty of water
hardly taking my hair vitamins
leaving my hair out in this dry climate
not dusting my ends

rainbowknots

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it'll help out a lot of newbies (like me). It's great getting information on things that we should do to get healthy hair, but it's also good for us to know things that we should avoid.

~VicTorIAn~

Dry combing is the main culprit for me. I used to think it was normal to have balls of hair comb out every time I roughed up my hair with a comb- NOPE.

Protein mishaps. Straightened naturals should have a proper moisture protein balance but a hard protein done incorrectly can be a major setback.

Skipping moisturizing and sealing. Dry, brittle ends have to be the number one cause of breakage for naturals.

Getting your hair braided- If you have unprofessional braiders that rake the comb through every little piece, you'll wonder after taking out your braids why you don't notice significant growth.

Trims. When you ask for a trim and you leave with a cut and layers...enough said.