what cause some of your setbacks?

-Going to scissor happy stylist.
-Getting protein happy. trying to grow my hair fast and not being patient
-Wearing my hair down when it should've been in a protective style
-Not moisturizing as much as I should

shynessqueen said:
[/b]Originally Posted by SerenityBreeze
I feel that everytime I blow dry my hair it is a major setback. Esp when trying to grow out layers, the longest layers are so thin that blowing drying my hair just snaps the ends off. (Esp with that comb attachment - forget it!)

My horrifying setback was the first time I tried to stretch past 8 weeks and decided to just not comb my hair for two weeks (okay, it was horrible I did not wash for that time frame) and THEN go to a salon for a wash and set.

All of my dead hairs that would have normally shed were all deposited and intertwined in my hair. When the stylist washed my hair, I had so many knots. I walked out of the chair with knotty, tangly, wet hair and had to cut fistfulls out of my hair.. whew..

Anyway long story short blowdrying and not combing out shedding hair. It will come back to haunt you. (I think someone else posted a thread on this)

If somebody did posted this I'm sorry for reposting it. I didn't do a search. The question just pop in my head and i just post this thread.

If somebody did posted this I'm sorry for reposting it. I didn't do a search. The question just pop in my head and i just post this thread.

No, I think she meant that somebody posted a thread on not combing out shedded hair, not what has caused setbacks.:)

shynessqueen said:
[/B]

Oh no! sorry, I did not mean another thread about setbacks, I ment another thread about combing out dead hairs before washing. Sorry for the confusion and thansk for the clarification shunta!!

I'm a natural and my most recent setback is wearing braids and not taking the time to properly care for my hair while in braids! Ugh! Not sure how long it's going to take me to recover. I basically have a hole in the back of my head. I have nice long hair on one side of the hole and nice long hair on the other. Ugh, I have a hole.

My biggest setback has been my hair growing uneven. I kept cutting it to even it up. I've decided not to do this anymore.

SerenityBreeze said:
Oh no! sorry, I did not mean another thread about setbacks, I ment another thread about combing out dead hairs before washing. Sorry for the confusion and thansk for the clarification shunta!!

Oh OK, I think Locks started that thread.

I think my setback is wanting to cut my hair.
After i take out my braids I always want to cut my hair.

my major setbacks is cutting my hair.............i've recently been going through hair problems due to lack of protein and relaxer strecthing and manipulation, causing thinness, breakage and shedding to remedy these issues i have re-introduced protein to hair, taking vitamins and will wear protective styles such as weaves or braids for the whole of this year. i will give my hair a 10 months break from relaxing which should help strengthen and thicken my hair strands and hopefully gain length.

self relaxing, not enough moisture.
continually BCs:rolleyes:
forcing my hair to be in a "ponytail":ohwell:

Now I am working on being more gentle with my hair. It is long enough to be in a ponytail, no force needed. I moisturize daily and daily cwing, which my hair loves.:D

I haven't had any setbacks since I started my journey almost 4 years now but what I do know is that I must not:
use a blowdryer
get a beautician to give me touchup -- have been doing it myself since 2005 w/no problems
get my hair dyed
get a touchup every 6/8 weeks

I know that I must:
stretch my relaxers 12/18 weeks
use heated appliances sparingly
shampoo, condition and moisturize my hair
occasionally dust my ends.

Right now I'm at a point where I can see where all the trouble spots are. I'm doing my best to try to get my hair healthy and at one length all over then I'll cut/trim so that everything will be one lenght...

Self-relaxing... before I came to the board
Trying to achieve an even haircut,I think my hair just grow's uneven:ohwell: but I can't stop cutting it,another reason for me to always wear it up,if I don't see it I'am not tempted to *fix* it

Snuckles said:
I'm a natural and my most recent setback is wearing braids and not taking the time to properly care for my hair while in braids! Ugh! Not sure how long it's going to take me to recover. I basically have a hole in the back of my head. I have nice long hair on one side of the hole and nice long hair on the other. Ugh, I have a hole.

hey snuckles...i have the exact same problem....hopefully it wouldnt take too long to recover....how long is ur hair? mine is about four inches and it does get annoying bcos i cant wear twists or an afro without it looking weird in the back

Hi Scarcity,

My hair in the back is between 9 - 10 inches stretched. The hair right at my nape which would be my 1st row of twist from the back is between 5 - 6 inches due to braid damage and then there's that $#@$# hole.
I mostly wear twist & twistouts so yes the hole bothers me as well but it is getting better. When I first noticed the problem I'd twist my hair then put the twist in a french roll or pinned them up so no one would notice. I've been conditioning like crazy, I've kicked my blowdryer to the curb and I started using that boundless tress. While the hole is still there it's recovering nicely. I just need to be patience.

What are you doing to recover?

My biggest setback was back when I very first joined the board, I used to have bra strap to midback length hair for most of my life. I thought that since my hair was long and strong I could color it and it not be a big deal, I hadn't read up enough on the board to really know what I was doing plus I had just had my first relaxer, so you know trouble was just a- brewing...

Basically I ended up bleaching and dying my own hair, it was pretty damaged but probably still salvageable. Then I went to a new hairdresser, she saw my damaged hair, and you could guess what she did to my locks. I admit it needed probably an inch or two off, and maybe more trims at later dates, but she straight up chopped my hair off to a little above my shoulders claiming that it was still long and that it'd grow back in a year.
Some people look adoreable with mid length hair, but my heads kinda casaba melon-ish and my face is kinda square so it didn't look to hot.

Honestly, after all this time on the board, I can totally hook up someone elses hair if they listen to me but it's just been in recent months I've been sticking to what works instead of jumping on new products and bandwagonms too much. Last month I got my straight ends trimmed so luckilly the rest of my hair will be more manaegble since it's more on the side of texlaxed.

My advice to give to people to avoid setbacks is to try not to do to many things to it at first and if you're a newbie to soak up information for awhile, incorporating one thing into your regimen at a time so you know what's not working when something bad happens. For getting over setbacks, I'd say to first and foremost get a journal and come up with a list of things that work and don't work including products and techniques for your hair. And steadilly pace yourself for benefits, first health then length. Sorry for the essay, just trying to help those who've been in similar situations as me.

1. The tangles from shed hair. Cleaning it out is a trip. I have some breakage as a result.

2. Wanting to wear my hair down when I am after 6 weeks post. My hair is more fragile at this time and I see some breakage if I don't keep it in a protective style.

Tangles and matting in the nape (middle part) from shed hair just being all caught up in there. This happened after I had the baby. I got them out but have a little breakage back there. *sigh*

I have had setbacks due to:

1. Not thoroughly rinsing my relaxer

2. Trying to stretch my relaxer - just not for my hair

3. Not moisturizing enough

All of these issues have been resolved as a result of this board. The information I have gotten on products and just 'listening' to my hair has been invaluable. That's not to say I don't have other issues :)) ) but I'm trying.

All of these issues have been resolved as a result of this board. The information I have gotten on products and just 'listening' to my hair has been invaluable. That's not to say I don't have other issues :)) ) but I'm trying.

Before the boards, I had two major setbacks that still make me cringe:

First, I went away for one summer and had no clue what to do with my hair w/o a beautician. I washed and rollerset weekly and blowdried like I knew what I was doing, using infusium as a leave. I had big time breakage in the crown. Mind you, now I know how to do these things, i.e. heat protectant, and only blowing the roots.

Second, I had my hair colored with a "semi-permanent" color (who knows what it was) and relaxed two weeks later (I had no clue what I was doing). Needless to say my hair got progressively thinner and I had massive breakage. I had to do major stretching to whip my hair into shape.

Hmm...well since I started my hair journey
The thing that has set me back the most has to be shs
Please stay away from me with your scissors, better yet - KEEP AWAY!

The other thing has been breakage from color, NEVER again will I use permanent color - my hair was breaking as fast as it was growing so I really wasn't retaining length. I've fixed that now and for the first time my hair is reaching it's potential.

Going to texlaxing from being 100% natural was the best move I've made for my hair so far. I'm not even sure if I am texlaxed all the way, I hope 5 minute of relaxer sitting on my head counts. BECAUSE IT WORKED!

Now wearing my hair straight is much easier, I use less heat than ever before in my life and chemicals only once a year! I've learned, thanks to LHCF and the sense God gave me. (smiles)

-heat from the handheld blowdryer with comb attachment:mad: major setbacks.. I won't use that again.. I only use my dome dryer.

-skipping deep conditioning treatments.. my hair thrives on deep cond. treatments and I must do it twice a week or my hair rebels:lol:

I'd have to say that a major setback was my lurking so long (almost 2 years) before I started being active on the forum. I guess I just had doubts and I knew that all the beautiful ladies progress pictures of SL, APL, BSL...were real, but I kinda still believed I couldn't have those results because I had short hair for so so long and had tried to grow it before with no sucess. But when I kept lurking with serious hair-growing intentions, stealing tips & taking advice that was directed to someone else, I saw a little bit of grow(about two inches). It's funny because I discovered about 100 reasons why I couldn't grow my hair. I thought I just had a dysfunctional or permanently damaged scalp!

Last edited:
Microbraids. My hair cant handle them at all. I am still missing hair in my temples... Also glued in weaves... Again BALD TEMPLES and tons of front breakage...

hi Snuckles
My 1st line of defense is to TRY to give the braids a rest....this will be extremely hard for me but we'll see......
I will start cowashin everyday and applying my concotion (of sulfur, MN, doo gro, mizani night treatment, oils) to the spot everyday...im thinking maybe twice a day....oh i also started on use lenzi's request last week....i apply it every other day
I will order Boundless tresses.......
my biggest concern is how im gonna wear my hair everyday...i used braids as clutches for so long......
i bought a wig but could only stand the comb in it for 3hrs b4 i started getting a tension headache.......so now, ive been going with scarves...but i make sure the knot is not at my weak spot but to the side:lol:
i would like to try the twists and upsweep of twists like u do...but im afraid my hair is not long enough....what am i to do?
My only other choice may be to do kinky twists with extensions in about 2 weeks and cowashing everyday...basically treating it as if my hair were out of braids....what do u think?
u have any suggestions?

Snuckles said:
Hi Scarcity,

My hair in the back is between 9 - 10 inches stretched. The hair right at my nape which would be my 1st row of twist from the back is between 5 - 6 inches due to braid damage and then there's that $#@$# hole.
I mostly wear twist & twistouts so yes the hole bothers me as well but it is getting better. When I first noticed the problem I'd twist my hair then put the twist in a french roll or pinned them up so no one would notice. I've been conditioning like crazy, I've kicked my blowdryer to the curb and I started using that boundless tress. While the hole is still there it's recovering nicely. I just need to be patience.

What are you doing to recover?

My set back was not moisturizing and sealing my ends which led to breakage..and using hot curlers all the time....I know better now and am on the path to recovery:)

Back