what cause some of your setbacks?

shynessqueen

I see a lot of members growing long and strong hair. Then one day i see the dreaded thread, I had a set back have to start over.

What cause some of your setback?
Did you learn your lesson or you are willing to try again?

the reason why i ask is because After i stop doing C & G I'm going to start styling my hair but i don't want no setbacks.

Umm, GREAT CLIPS...yeah I'm putting them on blast (or better yet the stylist there).

Have I learned my lesson, yep sure did. I will cut it my d*&# self. That's right. In the words of LondonDiva, I can mess up my hair for free !!!!:lol:

My biggest set back has always been prolonging trims. My ends get pointy and tangles when its time for that trim as a results those tangles causes stringy split ends from the breakage :(

My kinky twists. I hated them and they totally destroyed my hairline. I will definitely not get the kinky twists again, but I might put my own braids in in the future.

Miosy said:
My biggest set back has always been prolonging trims. My ends get pointy and tangles when its time for that trim as a results those tangles causes stringy split ends from the breakage :(

That's my setback too.

The biggest setback was due to tangling and matting...I had to cut out a huge chunk of hair at the beginning of my journey...but it taught me to detangle like MAD at every wash, especially when Im stretching my relaxers.

Miosy said:

blue_flower said:
That's my setback too.

I'm glad yall said this:) ...I've been debating on whether I should trim off an inch or two next time I get a relaxer (in 3 wks). I've been hanging on to these damaged ends and haven't really had any progress because of it.:ohwell:

If this seems like a strange question, then I apologize in advance. Are setbacks something that only hapens to relaxed heads, or do naturals have setbacks also?

My worst setback was overprocessing my hair.

Yes, naturals get set backs too, but most of those have to do with heat damage.

what causes my setbacks were not balancing moisture and protein, not keeping up with moisturizing, waiting too long to get my hair done. The biggest cause was when i was pressing my hair regularly and the hot comb was too hot and now the left side of my hair is severely thin and broken off.

I treat my hair goals the same way as I treat my other goals. there are setbacks to all goals. If youre in school and you get a bad grade on a test, you just try harder next time. As far as my hair I have learned my lesson: don't use heat and never think your hair is invincible. hair has to be consistently cared for.

Last edited:
nothing..I was just trim happy. At first I thought I had breakage issues as ell but I still have hilighted hair from July 05 and the ends have yet to break off and are actually quite strong.

My biggest setbacks always stem from my crazy stylist..."trimming" too much hair or burning up my scalp and hair during touch-ups....oh yeah, he likes to blow dry hair with a paddle brush, and I always felt like he was ripping my strands apart. :ohwell:

[SIZE=+1] My set back was Dark n Lovely Textures & Tones. That was my first time using it....and I'll "Never" use it again.

I grew my hair to an inch past bra strap. The die fried my hair. A week after dying......the left side of my nape fell out. Also all along the hairline in the front. I had to cut off 9 inches of hair. No worries...my hair grows pretty fast.

But I will never dye my hair again. Except for henna.

I'm going to finally post a picture of my hair....soon.
[/SIZE]

I have had a couple of serious setbacks.

The first one was having a stylist that I didn't really know apply color to my hair. I had to cut off 3 inches twice last summer because of this. I am not "afraid" of color persay but the next time I get it, either I will do it or I will have a stylist do it that I have thoroughly investigated.

Overprocessing had been an issue in the past but I also think that my lack of knowledge about proper protein treatments didn't help either.

I got over my heat obession so that isn't an issue anymore but if you would have told me two years ago that you could style hair without heat I would have looked at you like you were speaking German or something.

Not trimming consistently has also causes problems for me, but now I know when it is time to just get them trimmed and I just lightly dust them. I stay away from SHS!!!

my major setback was getting a weave put in, having it be too tight for 2 weeks, and not having the man redo it...when i took it out, i had a big chunk of hair just fall out in the back of my head and a noticeable bald spot on the side....it'll probably take me the rest of this year at LEAST to recover from that...so when braids/weaves/twists are too tight, ladies PLEASE speak up!

Puddles said:
[SIZE=+1] My set back was Dark n Lovely Textures & Tones. That was my first time using it....and I'll "Never" use it again.

I grew my hair to an inch past bra strap. The die fried my hair. A week after dying......the left side of my nape fell out. Also all along the hairline in the front. I had to cut off 9 inches of hair. No worries...my hair grows pretty fast.

[/SIZE]

This is how I feel. I have never used dyes but now that I know about henna/indigo (thanks to this forum) that is the only thing I will use if I want to color my hair.

locabouthair said:
This is how I feel. I have never used dyes but now that I know about henna/indigo (thanks to this forum) that is the only thing I will use if I want to color my hair.

[SIZE=+1]Me too.
I was scared...but I don't like the color of my natural hair. It's a dirty brown. I got all of my hair cut off in Nov. and in Jan I decided to try henna. I felt if it falls out....at least it's already short I'll just start from scratch again. :lol: I love the henna and nothing fell out.

But I can't wait for my hair to grow back.....my head is too big for short hair. :lol:
[/SIZE]

My first problem - I am taking ownership here - was not knowing how to use a combination of protein of moisture correctly. Thanks to the ladies here, I now know and will use that knowledge. I will move beyond should length.

The reason I searched and ended up here was directly related to having someone else relax my hair with a cheaper product and not ensuring that they properly neutralized. I don't really think it was the product so much as it was the process. A day later, my hair began breaking and did not stop until, a month later, i had gone from shoulder length to about four to six inches in various places. It was horrible. And I still had to cut more to stop it from breaking before I discovered C&G.

I still have to take responsibility for this as well. I knew that she was not doing my hair - the after relax washing and conditining - the way I did it, but I did not speak up. Since then, I have learned from the ladies here that it is MY hair and I must SPEAK UP when the stylist is not doing what I think should be done. It is my responsibility to ask, not sit quietly like the stylist is the hair god I must not offend.

Now I know a combination of moisture and protein and if/when I get my hair relaxed by someone other than myself, I can dictate WHICH products they use and HOW they use those products.

Thanks LHCF ladies!

My setbacks include:
over processing when I was relaxed

trying to find the right balance of moisture and protein for my hair when I first started texturizing

Currently i'm battling those tangles and those knotty things at the end of the strand.

my setback was getting micro braids put in my head after working night shift. well , i was half sleep and hubby's cousin was doing them. she decided to cut my hair becasue it was poking out. i heard a snip and became fully awoke. i was pissed to say the least. so no one will being doing my head. i am trying to learn how to braid my own head. the part she snipped is growing back nicely though.

Puddles said:

[/SIZE]

Wow I am sorry to hear this. I just used this dye a few weeks ago and loved it. But I do know and understand your pain with dye. I would not dye for a long time. I did last August with Hi Rez and it was okay but I experienced some breakage (Not really major but any breakage is major to me) I waited until recently to color again and saw another lady's color on here that was similiar to mine (as a matter of fact she had a shout out a couple of days ago for her hair color and growth) I asked her what she used and she told me Texture and Tones. What I liked about it was that my hair was very soft afterwards and not dry and crinkly which again let you know what was a culprit with breakage for me (dryness and obtain the right level of moisture) I tried it and have gotten alot or compliments. The main thing I have learned with color is proper moisture and protein. I have come to favor Duo Tex and when I need something a little more I will do Aphogee Treatment (but that is not often). Again, I am sorry about your experience and I definitely, definitely know how you feel. All of my set back have been due to color in times past. This time I am very well pleased.

Last edited:
I'm natural and I am still trying to recover from heat damage cause last summer. I went from apl to various lengths. I'm seriously thinking of relaxing my hair, hell it can't hurt.

I feel that everytime I blow dry my hair it is a major setback. Esp when trying to grow out layers, the longest layers are so thin that blowing drying my hair just snaps the ends off. (Esp with that comb attachment - forget it!)

My horrifying setback was the first time I tried to stretch past 8 weeks and decided to just not comb my hair for two weeks (okay, it was horrible I did not wash for that time frame) and THEN go to a salon for a wash and set.

All of my dead hairs that would have normally shed were all deposited and intertwined in my hair. When the stylist washed my hair, I had so many knots. I walked out of the chair with knotty, tangly, wet hair and had to cut fistfulls out of my hair.. whew..

Anyway long story short blowdrying and not combing out shedding hair. It will come back to haunt you. (I think someone else posted a thread on this)

I've had three causes for setbacks. My latest was waiting too long to trim. I lost about 2 inches of straggly ends and I have noone to blame but me!

A few years ago I did a horrible job of detangling which lead me to a stylist who scalped me!

My setbacks have been:

#1 The Blowdryer - Well I cannot say the dryer itself did it. It was my misuse of it.

#2 Hard Water - At least having it and not knowing it, meanwhile not knowing what was going on with my hair (and skin)

#3 Weave left in too long - I won't even get into that one. That was almost 2 years ago and I am still trying to recouperate. :(

There have been minor setbacks like stretching too long, needing protein, etc. Those may have given me a little breakage before I fixed it, but nothing major. Those 3 things listed above have been BAD for my hair. :(

I have learned my lesson. I am actually afraid of weaves now. I hardly ever use the blowdryer and when I do it is just to help my airdrying out a little. I have solved the hardwater problem (thanks to chelating shampoos!)

SerenityBreeze said:
I feel that everytime I blow dry my hair it is a major setback. Esp when trying to grow out layers, the longest layers are so thin that blowing drying my hair just snaps the ends off. (Esp with that comb attachment - forget it!)

My horrifying setback was the first time I tried to stretch past 8 weeks and decided to just not comb my hair for two weeks (okay, it was horrible I did not wash for that time frame) and THEN go to a salon for a wash and set.

All of my dead hairs that would have normally shed were all deposited and intertwined in my hair. When the stylist washed my hair, I had so many knots. I walked out of the chair with knotty, tangly, wet hair and had to cut fistfulls out of my hair.. whew..

Anyway long story short blowdrying and not combing out shedding hair. It will come back to haunt you. (I think someone else posted a thread on this)

If somebody did posted this I'm sorry for reposting it. I didn't do a search. The question just pop in my head and i just post this thread.

Back