Thinking about getting layers

G

Once it grows some more, I really want to get layers. I asked my "former" stylist to layer the front of my hair, and I ended up with just a bad haircut. I saw this lady with natural long hair that was layered, and it looked so great. I had them before when I was younger, but altogether my hair was really short, and it made no difference. What do you guys think? /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

G

I actually got my hair cut in layers over the weekend, so I'm a little partial to layers right now b/c they make my hair look so great!!! I've gotten so many compliments that it's not even funny! /images/graemlins/look.gif

sweetcocoa

I like layers when I first get them cut in...but then I find them hard to maintain(splits are harder to trim). I find my hair is much thick when I try to stick to one length. I currently have one layer left to get rid of and I won't be getting layers again. The times in my life when I had really thick and long hair were the times I didn't have layers...this is my personal experience(and opinion)on layers.

SexyGyrlNY

I have layera and they are nice for awhile but growing them out seems like it's taking forever! (right now I want my hair to be all one length) But overall I would give layers a thumbs up.

Lindy

My stylist always trims my hair in layers... because my hair is fine, he says layers will make it look fuller.

Caramela, are you going to post pictures of your new haircut?? I'd love to see it!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiadodie

If you decide to get layers...don't get too much. It'll be hard to grow out (talking from experience. Just get some layers at the ends. That'll make your hair look fuller.

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I find my hair is much thick when I try to stick to one length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% Sweetcocoa.

When I wear a ponytail, my tail is all different lengths and makes my hair look like it was "eaten up".

hairfanatic

Hi Karonica,

Getting layers can make your hair look great but they are very difficult to grow out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I remember when I was relaxed and had them. Each time I went back for a trim, the lady couldn't help but layer my hair again because if she didn't my hair would have looked split and bad. Growing them out can really make your hair look aweful! /images/graemlins/frown.gif If you do get layers, try to get one or two layers and not five and seven that I see people get...cause then, you will look like a chickenhead when you want to grow them out.

Kiadodie

Karonica,
One more thing..I just got a haircut that I don't like, especially because of the length BUT I just realized hairdoes grow so why worry??? You know? Try the layers and if you don't like it, you'll be ok. That's what I have to tell myself. Trial and error..that's what it's all about /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

A

AmilLion

I'm still growing out layers, years later /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BlkMane

Crysdon said:
I find my hair is much thick when I try to stick to one length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% Sweetcocoa.

When I wear a ponytail, my tail is all different lengths and makes my hair look like it was "eaten up".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Sweetcocoa and Crysdon. I give layers a thumbs down /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I got layers about six months ago and really regretted it later. I have the same
ponytail problem that Crysdon has. My ponytails used to look so full and healthy
and now with the layers it looks thin (and I have dense hair).

Plus, it is INCREDIBLY hard to trim your ends with layers. I think the person who
cut my hair gave me too many. I'm scared to even get a professional
trim now, because I know I will lose a lot of length because of them. I just try my best
to constantly dust the ends of my many, many, many layers.

pebbles

Unfortunately, I've experienced the same thing as you, Crysdon and Sweetcocoa. I have layers and it's very hard to trim my hair. Growing them out is even more of a pain. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Robin41

AmilLion said:
I'm still growing out layers, years later /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. And I'm talking from the 80's. True story.

adrienne0914

If you decide to get layers...don't get too much. It'll be hard to grow out (talking from experience. Just get some layers at the ends. That'll make your hair look fuller.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. if you get too many layers, it's just too hard to maintain. and like blkmane said, if you go for a trim, you'll lose alot of length while they're trying to maintain the cut.

i have what appears to be two layers on my head. if someone tried to give me a blunt cut now, i'd be up to like 4" above bra strap. /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

i would definitely save the layers for after i reach my goal... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Allandra

I remember having layers years ago (when I was in high school). I doubt that I'll ever get them again. I like having all of my hair one length.

MissM

Girl, don't do it!!!! As you can see most of us don't like layers. I can't tell you how difficult they are growing out. I got so frustrated with mine almost had mine cut one length a month ago because I want my hair all one length! And I'm growing out layers that I never asked for, the were just cut for me during a trim!!! Unless my hair is curled or freshly wrapped with some good bend to it the back looks crazy! Please don't do it. You'll like it when you first get it cut but it will be a nightmare later on. Trust us on this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif