This Might Help Somebody...

syncerelyhis

My BFF asked me to write her a regi guide and I realized it might help someone else....

Disclaimer*****When I originally started writing this for my best friend I realized that there is SO much information relevant to hair, the way it grows, and retaining maximum length, I could write for years. I had to do some serious condensing. So please understand that this is not a comprehensive guide, but rather a very good map to get you headed in the right direction. I have bolded the things you will need to buy and provided suggestions on the brand to buy.

1. Start out with a good professional trim. Later, lightly dusting your hair as necessary is sufficient.

2. Take pictures to track your progress. They are very encouraging when you feel like your hair is not growing. There were many times when I thought my hair was not growing, but the pictures told a very different story. Pick a time frame that you will update your progress. At least wait every three months. A watched pot never boils.

3. Shampoo your hair AT LEAST every two weeks. Every week is better. Set aside one day of the week when you will dedicate time to your hair. You deserve it! Do not pile your hair on top of your head and scrunch. Try to wash in the shower so that the water can run down, but if you can’t that’s okay too. Apply shampoo to your scalp and scrub. Scalp only! The water will run the shampoo throughout the rest of your hair for cleansing. Do not shampoo more than once. Use a gentle, sulfate free moisturizing shampoo. (ex. Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo)

4. Never shampoo your hair without using a moisturizing deep conditioner. Part your hair into four equal sections and apply conditioner to each section. Pay special attention to put conditioner on the ends of the hair (the last few inches). Detangle each section completely with a wide tooth comb. Do not try to rake the comb through your hair. Take your time and start at the bottom while holding the rest of your hair taught in your hands. When that portion is detangled, move up and detangle until that section is done. Pin/braid the section out of your way. Apply a plastic deep conditioning cap and leave it on for 30 minutes if you will sit under a dryer or one hour if you will not sit under a dryer. Picking a good deep conditioner requires research and trial and error. I have some suggestions until you are able to properly assess what is/is not a good deep conditioner. (ex. Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner)

5. A clarifying shampoo should be used in place of your normal shampoo at least once per month. It provides a deeper cleaning and removes product buildup. If you use products that contain silicones (any ingredient that ends in –cone) be sure your clarifying shampoo contains a sulfate. (ex. Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo, Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two)

6. Decide how often you will use a protein treatment. Relaxed ladies need more frequent and stronger protein than natural ladies. Every head of hair is different, and assessing the need for a protein treatment will come with trial and error. For starters, once per month for naturals and twice per month for relaxed ladies is a good benchmark. Study protein/moisture balance to be sure you are treating your hair properly. This is VERY important. The treatment can be applied prior to shampooing/conditioning (called a prepoo) or directly after shampooing before conditioning. Always follow a protein treatment with a deep moisturizing conditioner. (ex. Aphogee 2 Minute Protein Treatment, Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise)

7. Moisturize your hair every night with a water based moisturizer. Pay special attention to the ends of your hair. After you do the ends, do your hairline, front and back. A quarter size should be more than enough for your whole head. Nobody likes a greasy head. When picking your moisturizer water should be the first ingredient. If there is mineral oil or petroleum in the first five ingredients, PUT IT DOWN. (ex. Bronner Bros Oil Moisturizer, Silken Child Moisturizing Crème, Soft Sheen Carson Green Tea Moisturizer, Hawaiian Silky 14n1)

***If your hair sucks up moisture and you notice your hair is still very dry after a few weeks of moisturizing daily you can try sealing. Sealing is using oil to provide a layer that prevents moisture from leaving the strand. After moisturizing, use a dime size amount of oil, rub it in the palm of your hands and distribute to your ends and hairline. (ex. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil)

***If you like to wear your hair in curly or other damp styles co-washing can be don e in the place of moisturizing. Co-Washing allows you the ability to rewet/restyle, moisturize, or cleanse sweat. You do this by using a cheapie conditioner (ex. V05, White Rain, Suave, Herbal Essences) after rinsing your hair, usually in the shower. Apply the conditioner generously to all of your hair and ends and pin it up out of your way. Allow it to sit while you take care of your business in the shower. Before you get out, rinse the conditioner out. Many curly heads are fond of putting a little bit of cheapie conditioner in the hair as a leave in after co-washing to activate and hold curls.

8. Try to LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE. This means minimizing the usage of heat. If you must use heat use a heat protectant EVERY TIME. (ex. Fantasia IC Heat Protectant, Beyond the Zone Heat Serum, FHI Hot Sauce, Chi Silk Infusion) Don’t retouch your hair with flat irons/curlers daily. Once per week is pushing it, every two weeks is better. This also means embracing protective styles or low maintenance styles (buns, braids, sew-ins, wigs, ponytails, braidouts, twistouts, wash-n-gos) Protective styling is the best for hiding your hair, especially the ends, from the elements (wind, humidity, cold, heat) and retaining maximum length. There are MANY ways we can wear our hair that do not require heat, don’t feel restricted. Research, be adventurous, and buy some pretty hair accessories.

9. Use a boar’s hair brush.

10. Use hair tools that do not snag or pull the hair. (ex. Goody Ouchless Bands)

11. Take a regular multivitamin (ex. Women’s Daily Multivitamin) and a hair vitamin (GNC Ultranourish Hair).

12. Sleep with a silk scarf EVERY night.

13. Remember to be patient.

14. Join one of the forums (see below) and find a challenge to join for support. They are great resources. You can also see other great women just like you and me with awesome lengths.

15. Do your own research. There is so much to learn about hair. Don’t believe everything you hear or read. Don’t jump on every miracle bandwagon somebody claims to have found. All of the women I know with waistlength and longer hair got there with patience and these basic hair care practices. I have provide below the resources for you to do research as well as the most important things you should try to understand (THESE ARE SO IMPORTANT!!).
MOISTURE/PROTEIN BALANCE
SULFATES/SILICONES
POROSITY
THE WAY HAIR GROWS
HAIR TYPES
TRIMMING
HOW TO PICK A DEEP CONDITIONER
UNDERSTANDING INGREDIENTS ON THE LABEL
HOT OIL TREATMENTS
PROTECTIVE STYLES
SCALP MASSAGES
EXERCISE AND HAIR GROWTH

The Forums (great for support) Go Ahead and Join!
forum.blackhairmedia.com (read the 101 thread in the Growth Section)
longhaircareforum.com

Other Great Resources
Long-heatly-hair-advisor.com
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html
keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com
tightlycurly.com
growafrohairlong.com

To Post your Updates
www.fotki.com

16. Last but not least. Don’t tell everybody in your life what you are trying to do! When I began my journey, the ONLY person who knew was my boyfriend. People love to tear down what they don’t understand. Just let the work speak for itself. If they don’t ask don’t tell. These methods are not easily incorporated if you want to get your hair done at the salon. Unless your stylist will allow you to come in with your hair already washed/conditioned/dried, they probably will be offended if you try to tell them what to do.

I also have this on my fotki http://journals.fotki.com/syncerelyhis/building-your-first-hair-/

Last edited:

Num1chocolate

This is some very helpful and valuable information. If this does not help anyone else. I can say it will help me. I did get a chance to peep at your Fotki ( I hope that's spelled right), You hair is sooo beautiful, full and shiny. I hope others take advantage of this post. It's a lot of info but well worth reading.

robot.

This is all good advice, but I wouldn't suggest shampooing so often, especially when you don't use heavy products that cause buildup. This is just my experience, but shampooing once a month is fine, for relaxed and natural ladies.

But shampooing is something each woman should gauge for herself, based on her daily product usage.

vnaps

Number one is So important....i wish i had done this ages ago now i am hesitant to cut my hair because i want to see growth.

GET A GOOD TRIM EARLY SO YOU WONT FEEL AS IF YOU ARE GOING BACK IF LENGTH IS IMPORTANT TO YOU

mstar

Luxury bacon
Number one is So important....i wish i had done this ages ago now i am hesitant to cut my hair because i want to see growth.

GET A GOOD TRIM EARLY SO YOU WONT FEEL AS IF YOU ARE GOING BACK IF LENGTH IS IMPORTANT TO YOU
ITA. #1 would've saved me a lot of time, energy, and heartache.

ladychoong

Great advice and no.1 was the first thing i did before i hid my hair under my wig for low maintenance. Barely have any splits and the ssk's, i just need exercise and my 3 vitamins

ebonyksa

7. Moisturize your hair every night with a water based moisturizer. Pay special attention to the ends of your hair. After you do the ends, do your hairline, front and back.

This is so important!!!!!!!!!

julzinha

I especially like #16 my family particularly my older sister gives me hell about the way I take care of my hair. I am doing everything right from the shampoos I use (giovanni) to the deep conditions, reconstructors, and moisturizers and protective styles. And she always tells me I'm stupid for doing all that I do to my hair and for having all the organic products I have, but my hair is not only growing but retaining length. And she has a tons of breakage and wears expensive weaves all the time. She only started deep conditioning because her stylist told her to even though i told her that she needs to deep condition like a year in advance. She tells me I am crazy for being natural. I just keep saying to my self just get to BSL, get to BSL, GET TO BSL and my hair will be as long and in a better condition than her weave. Then she can't say anything to me because all of my so called craziness is the reason I am BSL with my own hair, not paying for touch ups or weaves and breaking her mindset that black women can't grow hair longer than SL. She has even said that if your hair is meant to break is will break, like for black women and breakage it is some kind of prophecy. That is the reason I have not told her about my goals because she would laugh and call them unattainable.

God's Anointed

Great info...i have def stopped telling everyone about where i want my hair to be. The only ppl who i talk to are my sisters (because we are all on a HHJ challenge) and some of my friens who have joined hair boards. Everyone else will just have to wait til i reap the benefits of my hair

miss_cheveious

Great post. I'm currently trying to build my own regimen so thank you so much for this info.
I thought my hawaiian silky 14in1 wasn't contributing to the cause.lool.
I will be keepin my hair journey to myself, although I did introduce my best friend to this site n she was extremely grateful. Noone else tho, my OH already thinks I'm obsessed n didn't believe black women cud grow their that long so I showed him some pics of you lovely long haired ladies n he seems more on par now :D

Last edited:

amerAKAn_dream

Thank you for this! Your hair is amazing...even my boyfriend (who was looking over my shoulder) commented on how pretty it is lol

Question...do you DC after a clarifying shampoo as well?

syncerelyhis

This is all good advice, but I wouldn't suggest shampooing so often, especially when you don't use heavy products that cause buildup. This is just my experience, but shampooing once a month is fine, for relaxed and natural ladies.

But shampooing is something each woman should gauge for herself, based on her daily product usage.

To each its own...but it seems like majority of the ladies here would agree with me.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=105583&page=25