I need your help

winona

I am sending off a box to my niece this afternoon because she wants to start off on a healthy hair journey ("Wants it to be thick like ti use to be":grin:)

In this box I am enclosing detailed instructions and products. Everything I mentioned is in this box please crtique this and tell me where I need to simplify. Thank you soooo much for your help. BTW the formatting is crazy. off

To My Littlest Baby,

Hi

Hand Wave

I first want to tell you how proud I am of you for wanting to take better care of your hair☺

Enclosed in this box you will find all the tools to get you started

Detangling
8oz Tinglig Oil Treatment
8oz Cowboy Magic Detangler

Cleansing
12.5 Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo (To be used monthly before protein treatment: gets rid of hard to remove bulidup)
32oz Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo (To be used weekly)

Conditioning
(To be used monthly after Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo)
4oz Dudley DRC 28
32oz Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
(To be used weekly after Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo)
2X Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment
16oz Generic Value Product (GVP) Conditioning Balm
2XShower Comb

Moisturizing
Can be used daily depending on if your hair feels dry
8oz Elasta QP H two spray Moisturizer
16oz Nu-Gro Hair Gro Spray w/ Moisturizer

Sealing
Can be used daily after you moisturize
8oz Hot Six Oil
4oz Raw Shea Butter (Papaya Milk)

Protective Styling
1X Banana Clip
1X Goody Ouchless Bands
1X Goody Ouchless Ponytail Holders

Miscellaneous
30 processing caps
2X Satin Pillowcases
1X Satin Scarf
1X Satin Bonnet
1X Spray Bottle (I like to put water in it)
1X empty 8oz bottle( the shampoo might be too heavy to use straight out the bottle)

**Before you get started ensure that you will have at least 1-2hrs to dedicate☺ You will only have to do this once per week☺

Detangling
To help you detangle your hair
8oz Tinglig Oil Treatment
8oz Cowboy Magic Detangler

1. On the day you wash gently section your hair into 4 with your fingers.
**I like to braid or twist the sections and apply a clip if they don’t stay
2. Apply a very small amount of oil or detangler to the palm of your hand and rub together.
3. Apply it to 1 section at a time from the tip to the roots.
4. While applying gently try to remove tangles.

**If you need more oil or detangler repeat steps 2-4.
**You can allow this treatment to stay on your head with shower cap for 10-15mins under warm towel or dryer for added benefits.

Cleansing (Your hair is still in the 4 sections DO NOT make 1 big section it will be a disaster)
To aid in cleansing your hair
12.5 Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo (To be used monthly before protein treatment: gets rid of hard to remove bulidup)
32oz Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo (To be used weekly)

1. Get in shower and let the water rinse through your sections until they are completely wet.
2. Apply Shampoo to your scalp and massage with pad of your fingertips NOT your nails.
3. Squish the shampoo(from your scalp) over the length of each section.

**Repeat this no more than 2 times

Conditioning (Your hair is still in 4 sections DO NOT make 1 big section it will be a disaster)
To aid in conditioning your hair
(To be used monthly after Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo)
4oz Dudley DRC 28
32oz Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
(To be used weekly after Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo)
2X Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment
16oz Generic Value Product (GVP) Conditioning Balm

2X Shower Comb
1X Spray Bottle

Once a Month
1. Add 1tbspn DRC 28 or Duo Tex to 4 tablespoons of Silk Elements t or Generic Value Product (GVP). Mix it all together.
2. Apply to your hair (retwisting or braiding each section as you go) and put on shower cap
3. Sit under a heat source (hooded dryer, heat cap, hot towel) for at least 30min
4. Gently detangle your hair starting from the tips going towards your head (retwisting or braiding each section as you go)
5. If you find it hard spray your hair with water and try again.
6. Rinse with COOL water
Once a Week
1. Apply Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment or Generic Value Product (GVP) Conditioning Balm to hair like a relaxer (section by section) (retwisting or braiding each section as you go)
2. Apply a shower cap
3. Sit under a heat source (hooded dryer, heat cap, hot towel) for at least 30min
4. Gently detangle your hair starting from the tips going towards your head (retwisting or braiding each section as you go)
5. If you find it hard spray your hair with water and try again.
6. Completely Rinse with COOL water

**After you have controlled the breakage you can do your protein treatments with Duo Tex or DRC -28 every 6-8 weeks

Moisturizing (Your hair is still in the 4 sections DO NOT make 1 big section i will be a disaster
To aid in moisturizing
8oz Elasta QP H two spray Moisturizer
16oz Nu-Gro Hair Gro Spray w/ Moisturizer

1. Towel dry your hair by squeezing then apply moisturizer section by section. (retwisting or braiding each section as you go)

Sealing (Your hair is still in the 4 sections DO NOT make 1 big section it will be a disaster)
To aid in sealing the moisture in your hair
Hot Six Oil
Raw Shea Butter (papaya milk fragrance)

1. Apply Hot Six oil to each miosturized section (retwisting or braiding each section as you go)

**I normally use only 3-4 drops of oil or dime size of butter per section because I don’t want to end up with an oil spill☺

Protective Style (Your hair is still in the 4 sections DO NOT make 1 big section it will be a disaster)
To aid in protective styling
1 Banana Clip
Goody Ouchless Bands
Goody Ouchless Ponytail Holders

There are many ways to protect your hair from damage throughout the week.
1. Air dry your hair in braids and put it in a bun when almost completely dry
2. Put your hair in twists while wet
3. Air dry and put your hair in cornrows

** When I airdry I normally split each section into 2 so it will dry quicker (So basically you start off with 4 sections and you end up with 8)
** The purpose of protective styling your hair throughout the week is to minimize damage from moving it around too much

BedTime Care (Use at least 1 of these every night)
2 Satin Pillowcases
1 Satin Scarf
1 Satin Bonnet

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME ANYTIME

I LOVE YOU

AUNTIE NONIE

Some helpful websites are
Longhaircareforum.com **Search the words transitioning
Curlyandyoung.blogspot.com (teen hair blog)
Curlynikki.com

winona

I forgot to give you ladies a little background.

My niece is transitioning AKA "not perming my hair anymore"
She has VERY bad breakage according to my mom who can be a bit dramatic sometimes
Her natural hair is very dense and her relaxed hair is overprocessed and damaged.
She does not have a routine just uses whatever is bought for her. (she is 15)

faithVA

I don't have a critique for you. Just wanted to say what a wonderful aunt. She's very lucky.

miss_cheveious

I was about to say the same thing. You are soo amazingly sweet, I would have loved something like this at the beginning of my journey. Maybe mention not to be too heavy handed with the daily moisturizing products.

NikkiQ

So sweet!!!! Instructions and products are awesome. Maybe let her know which products are the protein treatments and to not go overboard with those.

winona

Thanks ladies. I am going to make those adjustments. I want to be detailed as possible because I know once she gets on these forums she might be a bit overwhelmed

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
This is really nice

I would suggest using a more cleansing shampoo before the elasta qp shampoo. That is a conditioning shampoo and overtime will leave buildup

I would suggest you having her call you when she is ready. It can be a daunting task to embark on a new hair journey.

QBOE2001

It sounds good but maybe you should direct her to a few folks on you tube so she can actually see a few tutorials in case she's confused or a little overwhelmed. Wish you were my aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winona

This is really nice

I would suggest using a more cleansing shampoo before the elasta qp shampoo. That is a conditioning shampoo and overtime will leave buildup

I would suggest you having her call you when she is ready. It can be a daunting task to embark on a new hair journey.
Myjourney2009
Got it

I also got some elasta qp for relaxed hair but I wasnt sure if it won't be too overwhelming to go from shampoo to 3. That is why I suggested she use clarifying poo once a month. Definitely something to think about. Thanks

winona

It sounds good but maybe you should direct her to a few folks on you tube so she can actually see a few tutorials in case she's confused or a little overwhelmed. Wish you were my aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your suggestion I will send her links via email and in my letter

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
That is very sweet of you. (I wish I had an aunt like this!) I am sure she will appreciate the goody box.

frizzy

What a wonderful Auntie you are!

To cut to the chase I initially was concerned about the heavy protein, but you addressed that later in the post.

I didn't see a creamy leave-in that could be used for daily styling. My first suggestion would be Mane N Tail conditioner which can be used as a leave in. It doesn't have any 'cones, so it won't build up on her hair. It is a favorite of mine especially when the new growth comes in. I've seen a lot of good reviews for Silken Child, but I haven't used it myself, yet.

I'm gonna cut and paste your post and use it as a template. Good job!

winona

THANK YOU LADIES. I incorporated everyone's suggestions:) I gave her links to youtube, stressed the importance of not overdoing the protein conditioning or daily moisturizing:) I couldnt find 1 youtube that had all the steps exactly the way I described it so me and hubby made a video with each step separated in case she just needs help on one or the other:) It also has a tips section where I go over buildup and explain each product that is in her goody box:) YOU LADIES ROCK:) It will go in the mail first thing Monday.

PS I added a journal for her to keep track of how her hair feels and a old digital camera(she doesnt have one) so she can take pictures once every 2 months at least:)

sweetlaughter

winona, you said she is 15. Personally while I think your instructions are great, they are going to be too much too soon for her. I have been natural for two years and that list was overwhelming for me.

And besides being 15 she is transitioning from no set way of doing her hair to a regimen AND from relaxed to natural. It can be very overwhelming so I think you should simplify it to one product for each category.

cherxy777

So cute! And like everyone has said, great job with the list (video references on youtube, etc would be really nice too)and i wish i had an aunt like you :D

Saga

The Generous Queen
I think you have the directions broken down and simplified enough so that she can understand. If anything, you could just explain to her why it's important to have protein/moisture balance and what PSing can do as far as length retention goes, cause if she doesn't understand why then she might not be so consistent. If she's confused just ask her exactly what she doesn't get and explain it with more details. Otherwise, your instructions seem awesome! I wish i had an aunt who knew about healthy hair D: And it's cool that u bought products for her before hand instead of simply giving her advice and letting her have to fend for herself.