Thyroid Disorders

Evazhair

I have hypothyroidism, but I have never had to take prescription medicine. I use iodized sea salt. I have had a goiter, but I was able to get down. Thanks to whoever mentioned kelp. I am going to try to incorporate this into my diet, because I need to minimize the sodium. Two winters ago, I noticed that my skin was drier than normal and my usual lotions/creams didn't last long. This past winter, my hair went into shock from the cold weather along with my skin. I had to buy a humdifier which gave some relief. That was when humecto seemed to stop working for me. This summer, it has worked better. This leads to major PJism for me trying to find moisturizing deep conditioners and using additives to conditioners. I am so thankful for LCHF. I am scared of the coming winter, but thanks to LCHF I think I will be better able to handle the dryness I anticipate.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I have hypo and hashimoto's and my hair is definitely suffering. Super dry, brittle and fragile. I dc (overnight) every other day and my hair is still super dry, it IS getting better though. I really want to get a steamer, I really think it would help. I hear so many talking of "overmoisturized" hair and honestly I would love to get to that point. THAT's how dry my hair is, I WANT it to be overmoisturized

My hair thinned out tremendously, my hairline is disappearing and my skin (especially my lips) is very dry. It took me over a year to find the right type of products for me and now that I have, my hair loss has decreased a lot. It's also thanks to the vitamins I'm taking. No meds for me, I'm sticking to the natural route :yep:

I'm currently taking:
Gotu Kola
Alfalfa
Horsetail
Chlorella
Biotin
B-Complex
Evening Primrose Oil
Raw Thyroid
Collagen
Gelatin
Selenium
Maca
Colostrum

It just so happens that a lot of the supplements that work for hypo also help with hair growth :grin: The gelatin helped greatly with my flimsy, brittle nails. They were literally like paper, I couldn't use them for anything because they would easily bend and break. Dh used to make fun of me, saying my nails would flap in the breeze :giggle: Well, now they have a little give and I can actually open soda cans now! :yay:

My newgrowth is coming in thick, so that's a wonderful thing. My hair has a little shine now, too. Whereas before, it was just so dull, dry and crispy looking. Now it actually LOOKS soft. I've found what works for me, so it's very exciting!

Good luck to you all, ladies. Thyroid disease is the devil, so I really hope we all beat this!

2Cute!

I have had thyroid issues for the last 5 or 6 years, I believe. It is now under control with Synthroid.

My hair is dry and brittle, but I manage to keep it under control with moisturizers and deep conditioning. I do have shedding, but it doesn't look/feel thin.

I take a prenatal, b-complex and Omega 3,6,9 daily. These seem to be helping quite a bit.

msquared

I have a hyperactive thyroid (Graves' Disease) and I am taking 250 mg of PTU. I notice that my hair is dry. Interestingly, it seems to affect my skin more than my hair. Every now and then, I get acne breakouts and that is my signal to get my thyroid levels checked because when I do its always hyperactive.

Last edited:

flower

I have hypo and hashimoto's and my hair is definitely suffering. Super dry, brittle and fragile. I dc (overnight) every other day and my hair is still super dry, it IS getting better though. I really want to get a steamer, I really think it would help. I hear so many talking of "overmoisturized" hair and honestly I would love to get to that point. THAT's how dry my hair is, I WANT it to be overmoisturized

My hair thinned out tremendously, my hairline is disappearing and my skin (especially my lips) is very dry. It took me over a year to find the right type of products for me and now that I have, my hair loss has decreased a lot. It's also thanks to the vitamins I'm taking. No meds for me, I'm sticking to the natural route :yep:

I'm currently taking:
Gotu Kola
Alfalfa
Horsetail
Chlorella
Biotin
B-Complex
Evening Primrose Oil
Raw Thyroid
Collagen
Gelatin
Selenium
Maca
Colostrum

It just so happens that a lot of the supplements that work for hypo also help with hair growth :grin: The gelatin helped greatly with my flimsy, brittle nails. They were literally like paper, I couldn't use them for anything because they would easily bend and break. Dh used to make fun of me, saying my nails would flap in the breeze :giggle: Well, now they have a little give and I can actually open soda cans now! :yay:

My newgrowth is coming in thick, so that's a wonderful thing. My hair has a little shine now, too. Whereas before, it was just so dull, dry and crispy looking. Now it actually LOOKS soft. I've found what works for me, so it's very exciting!

Good luck to you all, ladies. Thyroid disease is the devil, so I really hope we all beat this!

Did you work with a naturopath to help you with the different vitamins? If not, How did you go about finding the different vitamins to use? Did you use any medication while experimenting with the different vitamins?

Thank you.

flower

I have had thyroid issues for the last 5 or 6 years, I believe. It is now under control with Synthroid.

My hair is dry and brittle, but I manage to keep it under control with moisturizers and deep conditioning. I do have shedding, but it doesn't look/feel thin.

I take a prenatal, b-complex and Omega 3,6,9 daily. These seem to be helping quite a bit.

Look into Armour Thyroid as an alternative medication.

nc cutie

Has anyone with a thyroid problem had a goiter removed. I was told that I need one removed. The doctor will also remove my thyroid. Has anyone ever had a goiter go down without surgery?

Irresistible

Has anyone with a thyroid problem had a goiter removed. I was told that I need one removed. The doctor will also remove my thyroid. Has anyone ever had a goiter go down without surgery?
I had one years ago, not limiting my salt intake w/Iodine helped me,over time it went away, its gone and never came back

but I wouldnt recommend you do that unless salt intake is ok for you

also why would they remove your whole thyroid if its only a Goiter?

nc cutie

I dont know--that's what the doctor suggested. But I will try to increase my salt intake. To tell you the truth I had almost cut salt out of my diet--to lose weight and to not have high blood pressure--which is fine.

longhairlover

I was hoping someone would make a thread about thyroid disease, I have hyperthyroid disease, and it's really been stress. All these years I just thought I couldn't tolerate the heat when it was the thyroid that caused me to feel faint in the summer and to sweat like crazy in the heat.
I am always tired, my thyroid must've gotten out of control this year because I started to have a racing heart and could barely move around because it would feel like my heart was going to jump out of my chest!

So I went to a cardiologist who finally diagnosed me properly after how many years of probably having this sneaky disease!

i'm doing a little better now, it's just taking a toll on my hair well the right side for some reason, or maybe I search and destroyed too much lol!

it's a very distressing and aggravating thing to deal with both hypo or hyper thyroid issues. i've been on meds since the summer, no other dr would test me for thyroid issues, they would just say my glands feel swollen maybe because of a sore throat b.s.!!!!

only positive about the hyper thyroid was losing weight, i've always been skinny but gained weight out of nowhere (because of the thyroid) but I guess since things were getting worse I lost alot of weight, since i'm on meds though it's like the weight is trying to come back in the stomach area,

I really think there is something with the stomach and thyroid disease because I can keep everything else trim but that area :(

nice to see i'm not the only one going through this,

oh and I think the meds are affecting my hair as well as the thyroid, side effects can be hair loss, breakage :(

even when being treated for thyroid disease the meds have stank side effects too can't win with it.

longhairlover

I had the same issues. my sleep pattern is still crazy even though i'm on meds, I feel like such a weirdo being up all times of night then going back to regular sleeping patterns just back and forth.

I have gotten on a decent exercise regime too, not as good as it should be but i'm trying, at first I was losing weight but then I gained weight which is what I was told can happen, that not only hypo sufferers gain weight hyper sufferers can gain and lose as well.

also from research i've found that I should stay away from collard greens, cabbage, seaweed which sucks, because I wanted to incorporate more cabbage and collards into my diet:wallbash:

I was diagnoised with hyperthyroidism in 1991. My thyroid was very overactive, I couldn't sleep, if I did go to sleep it was only for a few hrs. I was full of energy and yes it does take a toll on your hair. At the time of my diagnosis I had a perm my hair was shedding like crazy, I had to put my braid extension in my hair to keep it from coming out. My hair did thin out over the years because I wanted to continue to relax, the last time I had a relaxer in my hair was in 1999 my hair broke off so bad. I've been natural every since. Having a thyroid disorder does effect the way a relaxer take to your hair and hair growth. A person that is diagnosis as being hyper usually ends up being hypo once they start taking medication. I take .88 synthroid and will have to take it the rest of my life. I've learned that to keep my metabolism up exercise is the key, To control the weight gain. Your thyroid effect the metabolism which in turn effects hair growth. the best way to keep your hair growing and the weight down is to exercise. My hair has thicken up considerably due to the information I rec'd from this board before joining.

nc cutie

longhairlover,

I known about this problem about two years. I was taking kelp which seemed to help. I never took meds from the doctor. When I stopped the kelp, I began chlorella. For some reason I never got kelp again. Chlorella ,B-12 and D-3 have helped with weight loss but I want the goiter to dissapear. It is good to know someone else knows how you feel. I have also been hospitilized because of fibroid issues. It was not until the third time in the hospital that a doctor told me that I had issues because of my thyroid! Who would have thought it.

Last edited:

Lita

Yes,the omaga 3,6,9 helps along with a b-complex,multi,liq cal,grape seed & black seed
I take 150 mcg of levoyxl 1x a day. (have my levels check every 6 months).
GOOD LUCK TO ALL...

Happy Hair Growing!