Tips for doing Corrective Relaxers

OneInAMillion

I've decided that I want a corrective relaxer done. Here's the thing: I have underprocessed hair that's about 5-6 inches down the shaft. So the be very clear, I have about 2 inches of new growth, then straight hair, then underprocessed hair.

There's too many textures going on for me to deal with anymore. Is it safe to relax that middle portion of my hair only? I know this probably sounds very stupid, and should have been taken care of, but my hair did not present this much of a challenge before. I just want to relax that part of my hair. Will this work?

Thanks in advance ladies :) .

DelightfulFlame

Hmm...what look are you going for? straight or curly?

If curly, then here's what I'd suggest...definitely relax in sections. I'd normally do 2, but since you have so much going on, then I'd do 4.

Put a middle road protein conditioner on the hair and let it dry. As you part to apply relaxer, put vaseline on straight part...and then put relaxer on the rest. wash out...neutralize...let dry and slap vaseline on it...and then do the next section.

If going for straight hair...ditch the protein conditioner and do the rest.

OneInAMillion

Thanks Delightful!

I'm definitely going for curly. The parts that I want to leave alone are curly, but I'm trying to get rid of the underprocessed frizz.

So are you saying to apply the mild protein to my dry hair, start relaxing the top, and then apply vaseline to tha parts that I don't want relaxed? I'll definitely have to try that.

I think I may do a strand test or something, to see how this works.

OneInAMillion

I'll definitely let you know how it works out. I just checked out your album, and you did a great job! That's just where I want to be...it looks so soft!