To comb or not to comb....

ZLUVSNEWZEE

So I was reading essence magazine yesterday and read an ariticle about transitioning. One of the tips to help transitioners was that hair should be combed daily to avoid tanglling. I have been going days without combing believing that the less I comb the better for my hair growth journey. Experts...which is accurate? Should I be combing daily or should I not be combing?

lana

I'm not an expert...but I did transition.
I remember very clearly posting on here that I went a week without combing my hair, just washing and bunning it without properly detangling and ended up with one long dred lock. So that's when I decided my hair needed a comb (lol) and I bought a denman brush.

I'm texlaxed now...I finger comb throughout the week and roll my hair. I only comb it to detangle it in small sections after washing/conditioning and applying a little serum on wet hair. Melts like butta through da comb. (I'm a 4a/b (mostly 4b) Mizani Lye Texlaxed BSL girl)

I hope this helps. The answer is: trial and error - do what works best for your head of hair.

ChristmasCarol

I'm no expert, but I only comb my hair when I co-wash every other day, or so. And only in the shower with lots of conditioner. Anytime I think my hair might be tangled, I jump in the shower. Earlier in my transition I co-washed every day. :yep: So, in a sense, I did comb every day.

IMO, combing dry transitioning hair would ultimately lead to severe breakage.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Another one who only combed my hair on wash day. Combing daily would have caused breakage at the line of demarkation

manter26

I don't think daily combing is a good idea for anyone. What styles are people wearing where they have access to loose hair everyday. I think detangling on wash day (once a week) is sufficient for hair in any state (transitioning or natural).

Even if I were bunning, I put it in a bun once and just wrap it in a scarf at night. There's no restyling needed throughout the week. I transitioned only 5 months though using rollersets and braidouts. Stretched hair meant no tangles...

ChasingBliss

I only comb when I wash and dc on the weekends....I stay in buns so co washing after every sulfuy treatment three times per week is really not an issue for me to comb.

I've incorporated twisting but some how it does not fit in too well with my regimen. I'm still trying to work it out because the first time I twisted I absolutely loved the results. I think I am making it more complicated than it has to be.

Oh and I do feel I retain more length when not detangling all the time. My hair seems to respond well when it's time to detangle especially when using aloe vera juice.

AHeadOfCoils

Put the comb down and use your fingers every time you style. You can manually pull out shed hairs and prevent tangles.

ChristmasCarol

I don't think daily combing is a good idea for anyone. What styles are people wearing where they have access to loose hair everyday. I think detangling on wash day (once a week) is sufficient for hair in any state (transitioning or natural).

Even if I were bunning, I put it in a bun once and just wrap it in a scarf at night. There's no restyling needed throughout the week. I transitioned only 5 months though using rollersets and braidouts. Stretched hair meant no tangles...

I wore my hair loose for the first year of my transition. Even now, at nearly 3 years post relaxer, I wear a different hairstyle nearly every day.

Everyone's hair is different and so transitioning is not a "one size fits all" proposition.

Last edited:

augiemoment

I wouldnt comb everyday but as a fellow transitioner who is one year post my advice is to make sure you try to detangle lightly your relaxed ends with a wide tooth comb before you wash. and use lots of conditioner on your hair

manter26

I wore my hair loose for the first year of my transition. Even now, at nearly 3 years post relaxer, I wear a different hairstyle nearly every day.

Everyone's hair is different and so transitioning is not a "one size fits all" proposition.

I meant loose like wash and go...which I can't imagine looks good on transitioning hair... :look: And I was moreso referring to the article. If they are suggesting daily combing, I want to know what styles they are suggesting along with it.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

I'm not an expert...but I did transition.
I remember very clearly posting on here that I went a week without combing my hair, just washing and bunning it without properly detangling and ended up with one long dred lock. So that's when I decided my hair needed a comb (lol) and I bought a denman brush.

I'm texlaxed now...I finger comb throughout the week and roll my hair. I only comb it to detangle it in small sections after washing/conditioning and applying a little serum on wet hair. Melts like butta through da comb. (I'm a 4a/b (mostly 4b) Mizani Lye Texlaxed BSL girl)

I hope this helps. The answer is: trial and error - do what works best for your head of hair.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you do what I do which is detangle only on wash day.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

I was mainly concerned with this because I'm concerned with breakage. Every night I seperate my twist out curls before rewtisting and always get a good amount of hair in my hands and on my fingers when I do this. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be pulling out hairs or not. I do have the shed hairs that are as long as my actual hair but I also have broken pieces as well. It is not an excessive amount but still I don't know if I should or should not have it.

Smiley79

What I dont understand is that when I do comb then the hair gets matted (from my daily scalp massages and moisturizer rubs, etc). So eventually doesnt the "breakage" catch up with your regardless when it's time to do your detangling? Do you all just go right into washing and detangle with conditioner in your hair. Im afraid the hair matts up or something. I would like to understand the no-comb, low manipulation method better. It could be what I've been doing wrong. ( I am now texlaxed)

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I keep my hair in twists most days, but any other time I have to comb my hair. Not combing would result in something that looked like one huge natty dreadlock... :nono: