To Cut Or Not To Cut

juicy555

I went to stylist yesterday for relaxer trim at 9 weeks post.

While having our talk, she said the new growth is coming in thick and healthy but color lifted ends in the back are thin and she recommended cutting or it would continue to slowly break up the hairshaft. She repeated she understood I'm going for length. The other option was keep trimming back a little at a time over time instead of cutting all at once. I went for trim.

After a real trim and styling she said I change my mind I think you should cut that off in the back and just be done.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

What do you ladies think? Does she sound scissor happy or not? :confused:

mkh_77

Sometimes you just have to be very honest with yourself and assess the situation. If you think it needs to be cut so you can start fresh, then have her cut it. If you think the damage isn't that bad and you would like to keep the length, then just continue getting trims.

I've had it all cut off because I knew I needed it. And, I've had a little bit trimmed off each month because I felt at the time that was the best option. It's your hair and you should make the ultimate decision.

beyondcute

Well we all want long hair but sometimes we get so caught up in length we ignore the health. For a long time I didnt want to let my hair go but after a chop (not a trim :) ) My hair looked so much better. Hsa she ever encouraged you to cut unneccesarily? If this is her first time then Id say she is being a good stylist instead of being chop happy. You said she already knows youre going for length but in this case I may be tempted to believe you need a trim. In the end it is your hair and if you dont trust her then dont trim; if you feel she is trustworthy and believe she is tryign to take care of your hair then I say go ahead and take the plunge.

SweetCaramel1

beyondcute said:
Well we all want long hair but sometimes we get so caught up in length we ignore the health. For a long time I didnt want to let my hair go but after a chop (not a trim :) ) My hair looked so much better. Hsa she ever encouraged you to cut unneccesarily? If this is her first time then Id say she is being a good stylist instead of being chop happy. You said she already knows youre going for length but in this case I may be tempted to believe you need a trim. In the end it is your hair and if you dont trust her then dont trim; if you feel she is trustworthy and believe she is tryign to take care of your hair then I say go ahead and take the plunge.

i agree with beyond cute. good advice

juicy555

Thanks for the advice ladies! I do think she's trustworthy and has the ultimate health of my hair in mind. It's just that I got burned by a stylist before (a dude) who said "trim" and ended up chopping my hair.:mad: So now I'm just being really cautious so I won't have another horror story. Anybody else have any input?

Chromia

Since she repeated that she knows that you're going for length, it sounds like she's trustworthy. Maybe it wasn't as easy to style as it should have been because of the damage, so that could be why she changed her mind.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
juicy555 said:
Thanks for the advice ladies! I do think she's trustworthy and has the ultimate health of my hair in mind.

Because you said this...I would probably take her advice and cut. I would hate to lose the length but the ultimate health is what's important.