to go short or not to go short?

is short hair more high maintenance than long hair?

• yes

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luscious Locks

is having short hair more high maintenance than having long hair? i really want to go short (my hair is full shoulder length) because i really want a change and my ends are damaged. but i realized that i won't be able to make a ponytail with a chin length bob. and i don't know how short hair will air dry. i don't want it to get too poofy. i normally just wash condition and air dry. then i bun most of the week. will i have to start heat styling my hair if i cut it short?:perplexed

Austro-Afrikana

When i cut to a pixie i would blowdry at night then wrap and go to sleep and it would come out silky in the morning. At chin length i did the same but straightened a lot...(not good)
if your hair is natural its ok to straighten after each wash if you want as long as you use a protectant but relaxed...stay away from too much heat and just do your washing at night so you can wrap and go to bed

Junebug D

I guess it depends on your skill level. When my hair was short & relaxed, it was harder to keep looking decent than when my hair was shoulder length. If your hair is natural, then it's the total opposite. :ohwell:

blue_flower

I had short hair back in 2000. I couldn't do anything with it. The only way I could deal with it was by trying by hardest to put it into an itty bitty ponytail and wear a scarf over it. I didn't want to damage my hair with curling irons and flat irons, so that wasn't an option. I will never cut my hair short again. It's just too much hassle. I'd rather have long hair and put it into a ponytail and put a headband around it.

ShiShiPooPoo

short relaxed hair is higher maintenance than short natural hair or longer relaxed hair.

Let's just put it this way...short relaxed hair is the highest maintenance of all hair IMHO because...

to keep short relaxed hair looking neat and nice you have to keep it trimmed up especially in back and keep the back relaxed (get partials every couple of weeks) to keep it looking the same texture as the rest because the stylist will be cutting the back a lot. I hope that made sense.

This is coming from someone that came "this close" to shaving all her hair off last night.:look:

ajacks

SL is short enough IMO. Anything shorter requires way to much maitenance. But it is your decision so if you are up for it, then you should definitely do it.

Luscious Locks

whooo.:eek: I'm backing away from the scissors right now. i had my eyes set on this cut: http://z.about.com/d/beauty/1/0/_/n/Rihannabob.JPG i'm relaxed by the way.

but i'm addicted to long hair. it's like crack. i went shopping today and saw so many girls (black, white, spanish) with long hair and i quickly snapped back to the reality that long hair is just sexy to me.:lick: i can't have it any other way. i will get a trim--not a cut--the next time i go to the salon and renew my motivation to get to blunt bsl. i'm determined to stick to my new regimen.:yep:

anyone else wanna chime in?

Luscious Locks

SL is short enough IMO. Anything shorter requires way to much maitenance. But it is your decision so if you are up for it, then you should definitely do it.

ajacks, i am not up for that.... i just started thinking of how much money it's going to cost me to go to the salon more frequently for the upkeep. Lord, Jesus, thank you for LHCF. my pockets can't take mistake like that. it's bad enough that i just switched from no lye box kits to lye in the salon. it's a $63 dollar difference. i've also recommited myself to getting rollersets once a week. that $20 in the first 4 weeks following my 8 week relaxer stretches. (after 4-5 weeks i won't let anyone manipulate my hair, i just wash, condition and airdry.)

ajacks

ajacks, i am not up for that.... i just started thinking of how much money it's going to cost me to go to the salon more frequently for the upkeep. Lord, Jesus, thank you for LHCF. my pockets can't take mistake like that. it's bad enough that i just switched from no lye box kits to lye in the salon. it's a $63 dollar difference. i've also recommited myself to getting rollersets once a week. that $20 in the first 4 weeks following my 8 week relaxer stretches. (after 4-5 weeks i won't let anyone manipulate my hair, i just wash, condition and airdry.)

I agree. Rihanna and others with the really short hair look really cute, but keeping it that cute would be difficult for me. SL or longer gives you so many more styling options anyway :grin:

MonPetite

This is the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I HAVE EVER HAD SHORT HAIR (post BC) and it is HORDES of work whether worn natural or I straighten.

I can't just tie it up in chopsticks like I did for years.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THIS SUMMER WHEN I AM APL and can start really enjoying it again!!! My hair is way less work long.

luxe.li.

Well i currently have the Rih, but its the shorter Rih, where its longer at the front and on top and I love it. My hair is natural though so sometimes I wear my hair straight sometimes I wear it curly. I love my short hair, and in the A I've been seeing alot of females rocking short, attitude hair cuts and they are rocking them well. But I'm pretty sure they are relaxed because they have the back cut extremely short. My back isn't cut that short because I need to be able to curl it with my half inch flat iron. Any shorter I can't maintain.

I love long hair, I can't wait for my hair to get long, but I'm not afraid of changing up my look and doing something drastic, I mean its hair it will grow back. So that's my motto. I ofcourse picked no, because to me hair is maintenance period for me; short or long.

but you'll figure it out, good luck with whatever decision!

Stepiphanie

Don't do it! I got the rihanna cut for my bday in july. It was great at first,but after abt 2mths the maintenance, the $$, all the heat ugh it was all too much!

Imani

I am about to cut my hair tommorrow...i think:drunk:. lol, i'm scared. i barely have a pitiful little ponytail now so it won't be much of a change. if i can still do a pinup I'll be okay. My hair has always been thin in the back. and i think cutting in a bob (w/a few long layers) will be a good look. Bc w/the back mostly one length and blunt it should look thicker and be easier to grow out instead of right now i got a bunch of layers.

I want to cut as little as possible to get a bob shape. I'd prefer the back cover at least 3/4 of my neck and i will be happy. But I'm wondering if that will be possible since my sides are only about chin length. :sad:

Lovestyr

i think short hair styles are more easier to mantain . you have to keep your hair looking good. because you only have so much of it . when your hair is longer you can throw back in a ponytail and keep going.

WriterGirl

short relaxed hair is higher maintenance than short natural hair or longer relaxed hair.

Let's just put it this way...short relaxed hair is the highest maintenance of all hair IMHO because...

to keep short relaxed hair looking neat and nice you have to keep it trimmed up especially in back and keep the back relaxed (get partials every couple of weeks) to keep it looking the same texture as the rest because the stylist will be cutting the back a lot. I hope that made sense.

Co-signing on this one...

I chopped off all my hair to a pixie cut in March 2006 and I couldn't maintain it well without looking like a chicken-head. If I was natural, I'm sure it would have been easier.

It was pretty though, and my then-stylist loved me b/c I was in her chair every week.

I don't regret the short pixie though. It got rid of lot of bad damaged hair and ex-boyfriend memories. Sometimes you got do what you gotta do.

Liberianmami26

This is coming from someone that came "this close" to shaving all her hair off last night.:look:

i totally agree with her on this one especially when the new growth start coming in u cant just put it in a ponytail i cant wait till my hair gets to sl i feel all my problems will be minimized cuz ill be pulling it in a bun most of the time anyway.

Evolving78

i either wrapped it or i would curl it everyday or every other day. i had to have that salon look all the time when my hair was short and relaxed with a pixie cut. and i was going to the shop all of the time. i wore my hair like that for years.