TODAY'S MY 1 YR .TRANSITIONING ANNIVERSARY! (tips)

alibi

hair bored
TODAY\'S MY 1 YR .TRANSITIONING ANNIVERSARY! (tips)

Please join me as I congratulate myself!!!

No but seriously, for those who are transitioning or thinking about transitioning, here are some important things that I learned this past year:

1. Don't Jump on the Bandwagon!!! If and when you decide to transition, do it for YOU, and no one else! Don't decide that just b/c a lot of women on the board seem to be transtioning, or just b/c all your friends are doing it, that you should too. If you really like your hair bone straight, you shouldn't feel pressured to transition or Big Chop b/c it's the "in" thing. When I decided to transition, it was b/c my relaxed hair was breaking on one side, my hair never grew as long w/ a relaxer, and also b/c I've always been sort of obsessed with curly/coily hair. So I decided to stretch out my realxer and give it a try. I didn't realize that I was actually "transitioning" until I found the board almost 3 months later. You should also know your reasons for deciding to transtion b/c when you don't do something for yourself, it makes it a lot harder to stick with it and really appreciate what you're doing. Any hair fad/craze will come and go, but what's on your head is yours to keep.

2. Moisture, moisture, moisture!!! You need to keep that new growth in particular moisturized in order to prevent breakage! I like Elasta QP MAngo Butter, and I also apply Kemi Oyl when I'm first out of the shower. I've also heard that Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter is excellent, but I haven't tried it yet.

3. Conditoner Washes!!! They've been a LIFESAVER these past few months! I use Pantene S & S or Biolage the Detangler in the shower, and I detangle ONLY with my fingers, or a very large shower comb. I then put my wet hair in a bun for the day. I NEVER comb my hair when it's dry b/c this would lead to major breakage between the two textures!

4. Protective Styling This is also very important to avoid manipulating your hair too much, which could cause breakage. I usually put my hair in a bun, but other good protective styles are braids, twists, and weaves. Braidouts and straw sets are good for the summer, and although they're not as protective as the other styles mentioned, they do help to disguise the 2 textures and require little manipulation.

5. Minimal Heat I didn't begin to realize how important this was until recently. During the first 3-4 months of my transition, I flat ironed and wrapped my hair. The style was easy to maintain, but you must be careful when heat styling your new growth, b/c it can be just as damaging as a relaxer, and it can permanently straighten your new growth and make your coils and waves limp.

6. Experiment With New Products and learn what works for you. Your natural hair is not like your relaxed hair, so your going to need to experiment with products you probably never even considered when you were relaxed. My hair used to love the AlfaParf Semi De Lino line when I was relaxed, and now they make my head a mess of tangles! On the other hand, CO washes and oils became very important recently, although I never used them when I was natural.

7. Get Rid of the Relaxer! I'm not only talking about what's on the ends of your hair, I'm also referring to the box perm(s) under your sink!
For those former self relaxers like me, if you plan to transition, YOU MUST get rid of the relaxers! I had one at home that was under my sink for the first 7 months of my transition, and I must have run home and seriously agonized over whether to perm again at least 5 to 6 times! I mean, one day I had even based my scalp! Get rid of the realxers and don't even tempt yourself!

8. Get a Hair Buddy Whether it's someone from the board, or someone you know personally, get a hair buddy that's willing to listen to you vent as you go through this new experience. It's helps too if the person is transitioning themselves, or has in the past. My buddy was my mom (who's always been a natural 2b), and she was so important in this process b/c she encouraged me to stick with it, and she was also able to give me great haircare tips/product recs that she used on me when I a kid before I ever relaxed! The women on this board also gave me lots of encouragement when I'd post my "Ayanapooh is about to fall off the wagon" threads!

9. Creat an Inspiration Album Whether it's an online album or you cut pictures out of magazines, a hair inspiration album will help you discover new styles for your natural hair, as well as encourage you on those days when you're ready to throw in the towel! And if you're really on the fence, you can even tape your favorite natural hair picture to your bathroom mirror - trust me, this works!

10. Develop a Plan You don't have to do this right away, but a some point, you need to develop a plan as to what you will do with your hair after you transtion. It's easy to get caught up in the transition and not think about the bigger picture, but I think this is very important. You should take the weather where you live (it's humid as HELL in Miami), your lifestyle (workouts, swimming, clubbing, etc.), how you like to wear your hair (straight/curly) into consideration. Women transition out of relaxers for very different reasons. Some (like my close friend) just want healthier hair, but still want to wear it straight, so they will probably press or flat iron, even after they complete their transition. Others (like me!) can't wait for the day that they will have a head full of coils and waves! But at any rate, develop a plan for what you will do with your hair after your transition b/c it will give you a goal to look forward to, and make the process much easier!

11. Embrace Your Natural Texture As your natural texture starts to come in, you must be realistic about what it will, and won't do! Just b/c Keisha is real cute w/ her little pony puff doesn't mean that yours will look the same when it gets to that length! And along the same lines, if you're transitioning to get Cree Summer or Tracy Ellis Ross coils, but you don't have that particular hair type, you're going to be setting yourself up for failure! So get in touch with what grows out of your scalp, b/c it's your own special unique hair type, and you should learn to love it!

12. Stick With It!!! Transitioning is not easy, but it can be done. I've learned alot this past year, and I'm still learning. But try to hang in there, and know that if you don't that's okay too! The way you style your hair is a personal decision, and it's nobody's business but yours! If you decide to relax again, you shouldn't feel guilty about it if that's what YOU decided to do. Natural hair isn't for everyone, just as relaxed hair isn't for everyone. Maybe you'll transtion and love it. Maybe you'll do it for a while and go back to the relaxer. Maybe you'll decide to texturize. Maybe you'll do the big chop after a month or two! The possibilities are endless, but no matter what you decide, you'll learn more about your hair for having gone through the process! Just don't let anyone else determine what you will do with your hair, b/c the only one that has to live with it is YOU!

so1913

Re: TODAY\'S MY 1 YR .TRANSITIONING ANNIVERSARY! (tips)

Congrats! Those are definetely great tips.

TastesLikeMusic

woooo! congrats on your anniversary!!

i'm also taking the 'transitioning' route, but i literally just decided that a few days ago -- so, i've got a long way to go! thanks a lot for the tips, i know they'll help me a ton! i'm going to let my hair transition using the 'long grow out' method..and then i'll chop the relaxed length off when i'm ready...maybe 1.5 to 2 years, if i'm satisfied yet. lol...CONGRATS AGAIN!

ElecEngnr

Congrats!! I kinda wish I would have stuck with it, after 5.5 months I gave up, maybe you'll inspire me to start again!

NewlyNature12

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today. Thanks so much for posting.

Tai

Congratulations on your 1 year!

This was exactly what I needed today. I'm seriously considering transitioning....for the second time. These tips are very valuable.

J

JenniferMD

Congratulations

blackhair

Thank yo so much for posting. I am 7months without relaxer (I use to relax every 6 weeks). Weaves are helping me a lot and I am loving my natural texture and I am retaining lenght thanks to the advice of this board. I am still not quite sure whether I will go back to relaxer or not but I am sure I will at least go behond one year without it and see what will happen.

Congratulations AyanaPoo! I've also survived 1 year of transitioning. How long do u plan to transition for? Do u find it hard to comb through the two different textures?

B

ballet_bun

HAPPY 1st YEAR ANNIVERSARY

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

Congrats! I haven't been at it a year yet but it has been fun so far and I'm looking forward to it!

How much longer do you plan on transitioning?

lovelymissyoli

Re: TODAY\'S MY 1 YR .TRANSITIONING ANNIVERSARY! (t

That was very inspiring. I stopped relaxing my hair but never officially said I was transitioning or going natural. I’ve noticed all my coils and have learned to love them just like you have. Congratulations!!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Good for you,Ayannapooh!!

skegeesmb

Congratulations Anyapooh! Those are some very good tips!

ichephren

Re: TODAY\'S MY 1 YR .TRANSITIONING ANNIVERSARY! (t

Congrats girly!
We gonna party like it's ya birthday...

Innocent_Kiss

*saving as favorite*
Congrats! As you said, it's hard sticking with it, so I have to tip my hat to you.
I'm already transitioning and I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I'll relax when I get to my desired length, or stay natural. This really influences my decision, though. Good posting

mrstwisty

congratulations!!! wonderful thread. I wish I would have had this broken down when I decided to transition.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Congrats! I am going to print out those tips and use them for help with transitioning my daughter's hair!!

Thanks!!

TastesLikeMusic

i think i'm going to save your tips!

i'm quite sure they'll be helpful in my transitional journey!