Top 3 Tips (for you) from the Hairboard this year

jasmin

bklynwildheart said:
I also use a tint brush for relaxer applications (I've been doing this for years). It makes doing touch-ups so easy!

You got it from Sallys right?

Shashemane

KiniKakes said:
1) Sealing in water-based moisture with protein
2) Protecting those ends by wearing updo's/buns
3) Adding olive oil, eggs, honey, mayo and other household/food products to my conditioner

Hi Kini:)
Can you please elaborate on how this is done? I don't see all the threads so if this has been explained already, I missed the memo:lol:

It sounds too interesting to not try!

Thanks!

~Shashemane~

MizaniMami

Let's see.

For me:

No/low heat-retained MASS length this way

Deep Conditioning-ATLEAST once a week!

Baggie Method-MY GAH, this is the best.

LaNecia

1. Stretching relaxers
2. Applying protein to newgrowth before retouching.
3. Protein conditioning (w/wo steam) prior to shampooing.

Healthb4Length

1. Proper moisture sealing (oil is the very last product to be used after moisturizer).

2. Difference between protein treatments vs. moisture treatments (thanks Supergirl& Sistaslick)

3. Hair porosity and elasticity (again thanks sistaslick)

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
OneInAMillion said:
  1. Conditioning (Protein or Moisture) on dry hair
  2. Doing wet assessments to see if I need more protein or moisture
  3. Shampooing with one lather is all you need

Sorry off topic but...what do you do to your hair to make a wet assessment if you need more moisture of protein?

Cinnabuns

1. Only do what works for you
2. No Brushing
3. Protein Treatments are good for hair, but don't overdose on them :)

Cheleigh

Three things:

1. Bohemian routine (really from another hairboard, but it's essentially KISS): no styling products after CW/CR needed--just a leave-in conditioner

2. AyanaPooh shake-n-go method: I don't add styling products, but otherwise follow her method--shaking my hair is my secret weapon techique for defined texture.

3. Whole head baggie method. Was my salvation for moisture during my transition, and still a reliable old friend now.

inthepink

#1 - ROLLERSETTING!!!! (with Mesh Rollers for faster drying time)
#2 - Wrapping after rollersetting for a straight look
#3 - Sealing moisture with oil/serum

LovelyLionessa

Only three, this is so hard!! :(

1. Not towel drying after washing. My hair definitely dries a lot straighter this way.

2. Sitting under the hood dryer for 15 minutes after washing. This helps speed up my airdrying time, plus it gives the added benefit of a deep conditioning treatment with my leave-ins.

3. Not combing dry hair. This has helped me retain so much length.

There are lots of other tips too that I was just itching to list! :perplexed

Last edited:

LABETT

Baggie Method-Wished I had tried it sooner
Sealing ends with a oil
Mixing oils with conditioners

sassyhair

1. Use Less Heat
2. deep condition after every wash
3. sealing ends with serum when airdrying or rollersetting.

MsLepe

SisterGirl* said:
aww MsLepe your family pic is beautiful :)
Thank Ya Sistergirl!!!:) Although I am missing one member in the family in that picture, my 2 mth old son, I was pregnant in that photo...LOL

Sarafina

1) Oil does not = moisture
2) Wetting or Cwing often
3) Importance of taking vitamins for overall health and hair

LadyChe

Here's mine:

1) Using MSM for easier hair manipulation. My texture is a bit looser now, and I can stretch longer AND it takes less time for my hair to relax.

2) Getting a bag dryer - you know the ones that have a plastic cap attatched to a dryer? It's the best! I can wake up early, wash my hair and rollerset, and GO BACK TO SLEEP. When it's time to get up, my hair is dry and I'm well rested.

3)Pre-poo with Honey and EVOO added to conditioners. Seriously - I haven't done it in a month (too hot) and I can truly tell the difference.

MizaniMami

MsLepe said:
Thank Ya Sistergirl!!!:) Although I am missing one member in the family in that picture, my 2 mth old son, I was pregnant in that photo...LOL

I was thinking that! You are a very beautiful family! And you were pregnant?! Girl I pray I look as good as you while preggo!

MsLepe

MizaniMami said:
I was thinking that! You are a very beautiful family! And you were pregnant?! Girl I pray I look as good as you while preggo!
MizaniMami, trust me it wasnt easy.LOL...Shoot that was Easter Sunday!!! Had to look descent.LOL..I am sure you will be beautiful when you become "preggo"LOL:grin:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
KiniKakes said:
1) Sealing in water-based moisture with protein
2) Protecting those ends by wearing updo's/buns
3) Adding olive oil, eggs, honey, mayo and other household/food products to my conditioner

KiniKakes...how do you use honey & what amount do you use? I would love to incorporate honey in my products..just fearful of the stickiness factor:perplexed

My top 3 are...
1 Moisturizing hair (especially ends) w/water based products & sealing with oils
2 Protective styles
3 Pre-poos..they really help combat the harshness of sudsing shampoos

Jas123

The Star of a Story
bklynwildheart said:
1: sealing in moisture with an oil-based product
2: using buns to protect my ends
3: pre-shampoo treatments

:)

I've gotta add a 4th: only combing my hair on shampoo/conditioner wash days....

Hey Bklynwildheart...my tips are the exact same as yours except for that no combing..I wear my hair pulled back everyday but I just have to comb thru it..I don't feel like it's done if I don't comb

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Priestess said:
Only four, this is so hard!! :(

1. Not towel drying after washing. My hair definitely dries a lot straighter this way.

2. Sitting under the hood dryer for 15 minutes after washing. This helps speed up my airdrying time, plus it gives the added benefit of a deep conditioning treatment with my leave-ins.

3. Not combing dry hair. This has helped me retain so much length.

There are lots of other tips too that I was just itching to list! :perplexed

Go ahead..list 'em!

LovelyLionessa

sherylin123 said:
Go ahead..list 'em!

Okay girl, there is always room for more: :lol:

*As final "creme rinse" on soaking wet hair I add cheapie conditioner (White Rain Tropical Coconut) into my hair as I squeeze the excess water out. It provides additional conditioning and detangling benefits.

*Pre-poos on dry hair. I find this is the best way to really condition hair well, when it can soak it all in. Macherieamour's towel method really comes in handy here, too.

*Moisturizing and sealing with oil, with leave-ins and when conditioning the hair it really works.

*When allowing hair to dry after washing, set ends on self holding rollers. The weight of the rollers and the tension on the hair helps the hair to dry straight and gives ends a finished look.

*Using coffee and molasses in pre poos to give hair a rich, dark color.

An_Original_Copy

1.)Pre-poo with coconut milk mixed with coconut oil
2.)condition with coconut milk, rinse, use conditioner(with the honey added)
3.)Take MSM powder, NOT capsules or tablets!

kally

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for years. One day I will have a album. I have been natural for almost two years now. I have 4a/b hair. I have learned so much amout what works for me. My top 3 r.

1.) Washing my hair once a week.

2.) How to properly maintain moisture and protein

3.) The correct products to use and avoid