Top layer of hair!

caralexis2005

My hair is below brastrap now but i am considering cutting my hair all over because of short hairs along the length on the top layer of my hair. I know its breakage from brushing the top, hair holders, and general exposure.
how do you all prevent this? and how do you trim off damage on top without losing length?

Mann,I totally feel you on this.The top layer of my hair is the most difficult for me to deal with,too. It receives the most amount of breakage. I am waiting on advice just like you.

I love your name! and thanks for expressing similar concerns- i thought maybe it was just me that was irritated by this.
And its not even that my hair looks thin as a result- i just hate the look of it on top. i want my hair to look healthy and perfect on top like it does underneath.
any suggestions on cuts, trimming techniques, products, styling to combat this??

As I grew my hair long the first time, I didn't have a problem with this and I think it's b/c I was really regular about getting trims - every 2 months. AND when I got my trims, I made sure they were "layered" trims so they weren't just trimming straight across but holding my hair up in various directions to trim and the finally evening it up by going straight across. Could that possibly be the issue?

hairlove, what is a layered trim? how should this be done? like when you hold the hair up and away from your head how do you cut it? can i do this myself?

I think it would be difficult to do yourself...
Essentially, it's just as I describeed it...usually, my old stylist would part my hair in the back - trim. Add another section of hair, trim again. Add another section, trim...and so on and so on. Then, he'd lift up the hair and trim across again. Then finally even everything up if it isn't already. This makes sure that most (if not all) hair was trimmed while keeping it even.

how do you usually wear your hair? do you wear a lot of tight ponytails? or do you use a lot of gel or hair spray? i don't think that the breakage has anything to do with getting trims on a regular basis...oh ok i just reread your post and you say that you do know where the breakage is coming from.
i wear my hair in protective styles all the time, or let's say most of the time (two braids or a bun for example). the only advice i can give is to deep condition a lot. and use a protein conditioner about once or twice a month. and don't cut your hair girl.

thanks hairlove and nay007.
I deep condition twice a week alternating between moisture and protein because i relax every 2 months.
Nay- i do know the most likely cause of this breakage but i also think its sort of unpreventable because of styling, etc.
i need to know how to trim these stray ends so they are not splits that run up, look bad, and stay damaged. esp. on the top of my hair.

caralexis, you could always dust those ends. I would make sure to use professional scissors and then just grab and snip the split ends. Eventually, they should even up. And do go overboard or it could end up looking worse. I would just do a big chunk once a month or something like that. It will take time but they should eventually even up. But also make sure when you do get a professional trim, that they trim it section by section.

When I get my hair trimmed..I have the upper layers just 'dusted'. This has made a tremendous difference in my hair without sacraficing length. I only get it cut around the perimeter(bottom).

hairlove, its funny you said that bc i actually started dusting individual hairs that are shorter on top. lol!

Sweetcocao- i think i actually will have a good trim section by section to get the upper layers dusted like you said.
thanks

Yes, in the past my stlyist would only cut across the bottom leaving the rest of the hair 'untrimmed' because some of the top hair were shorter. Over time that led to breakage on the top of my hair because split end were going higher up the shaft. So now I make sure they do section by section so all the hair gets trimmed. Other than that I would say to be more gentle with the top layer of hair. It is the most fragile b/c it exposure to the air, sun, and other outside elements.

Back