Transition w/o B.C. Question

lveurslf

I'd like to transition a little longer than I initially planned but I like to wear my hair straight sometimes. I'm worried I won't look right if I transition for a long time (1 1/2 to 2 years) and continue to straighten my hair. Everytime I think about the idea, I imagine thick roots and thin barely there ends. Can you still wear your hair straight if you transition without ever doing the big chop? Has anybody successfully transitioned without ever bcing? If so, what was your regimen to maintain both textures?

Sorry if there is a thread about this already....

Jetblackhair

Congratulations on your decision to transition. I transitioned without a bc by wearing half wigs. I was able to wear straight half wigs for a while since only the front portion of my hair was out.

Once my natural texture took over I switched to wearing curly textured half wigs so that my exposed hair did not need to be straight (hence no heat). The rest of my hair underneath the half wig was kept in 4 to 6 braids. I washed my hair weekly, deep conditioned and also kept my hair moisturized. This is still my protective style method.

This is one option which definitely takes a lot of patience. I'm sure others on the board will have some more options & advice for you.

HTH:)

Last edited:

Whimsy

I'm transitioning for a year or more as well. You may want to go to the transitioners support thread for more info!