Transitioning: natural TO relaxed results?.....

otegwu

Hi guys,

not completely sure if going from natural to relaxed is actually transitioning, but for me it is....well mentally.

I wanted to find out about how many people have gone from natural to relaxed hair and enjoyed it and had growth and have stayed relaxed for at least 2 years.

I love natural hair but I have come to realise it may not be for me, I love straight hair far to much,Im thinking BKT or Relaxer, But I am swayed away from the bkt its just too new and the results vary so much.

I have learnt so much on this forum about how to really take good care of black hair and I know I could be successful with a relaxer,I have been successful being natural but have just come to the end :wallbash: , as my natural has become too difficult for me, and Im just tired of the time and energy it takes.:sad:

so, please I would like relaxed heads to chime in and those who have gone from natural to relaxed...aww hek, everyone to be honest :grin:

*CherryPie*

I was transitioning to natural until today. My natural hair is just too coarse, and I know it would take way too much time and energy for me to take care of it.

If you are tired of fighting with your hair, go on and relax it. It can be beautiful relaxed too.

Anyway, I really don't care too much if mine is relaxed or natural, as long as it grows LONG and healthy.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
lately i have been confuesed about being natural. i loveee natural hair. i feel that im in touch with my afro-blackness lol. but im tired of the shrinkage!! i love long hair but my hair looks short. current lenght is mbl, but who can tell?? it shrinks like its afraid of something lol. smh

bahamababe242

Sigh,

I was at this same point two weeks ago, so I got a sew-in (wet n wavy);
IT MADE IT WORSE, cuz now Im missing my relaxed hair more than ever! :wallbash:
This installed hair has swang! I haven't had swang inna looong time! :(
Not going to make a final decision until December 2010, when I finish my Weave challenge;

Good luck OP! Either way hair can be pretty and healthy! Plz update us on whatever you decide! :)

taz007

Your hair looks beautiful now.

I transitioned from natural to relaxed. I was relaxed for about 9 nine years with a six month relaxed stint in between. I am so happy that I am now relaxed.

Although I loved my natural hair, relaxed hair is what I desired to do at this point in my life.

My advice is don't rush it. Take your time and do your homework. I read these forums for about 4 - 6 months before I made my decision.

My transition is chronicled here:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=425008&highlight=

Hope this helps. I wish you the best in your decision.

Last edited:

Minty

I have gone back and forth between natural and relaxed over the years. This is the last time I've transitioned back to relaxed from natural - and it will be the last time I will BC. Hair does grow being relaxed. If you believe having natural hair connects you to "blackness" then there are obviously other issues that exist. There are many women who equate hair to color, or identity and I almost feel sorry for them.

Now having said that, you definitely can grow your hair healthy and long being relaxed...but whatever you decide you have to stick with it. I am still learning how to care for my relaxed hair, but the learning curve is much shorter because I didn't do the extra stuff that makes it more difficult, i.e. color, weekly heat, etc.

I bkted my hair and the fumes were just unbearable, I don't believe I'll do that again. Unfortunately, there are no other methods that effectively straighten the hair for an extended period of time.

While natural, that in between length stage is very difficult because it requires the most manipulation - but once it reaches bun length, it is easier.

HTH.

hopeful

Just wanted to say that your natural hair really suits you! But I wish you the best with your journey. I have yet to find long-term success with relaxers. I bc'd twice in the past 5 years, both times relaxed again. I am transitioning back to natural for what I plan to be the last time. I am trying to get the courage to cut off the relaxed hair--I am 6 months post relaxer. My hair prefers being natural and it is only as a natural that I get great length and thickness. But a lot of ladies on this forum have found great success with relaxers--I hope you will get inspiration from them. HHG:).

BlackMasterPiece

I have gone back and forth between natural and relaxed over the years. This is the last time I've transitioned back to relaxed from natural - and it will be the last time I will BC. Hair does grow being relaxed. If you believe having natural hair connects you to "blackness" then there are obviously other issues that exist. There are many women who equate hair to color, or identity and I almost feel sorry for them.
Well thats an odd thing to say. Why would you feel "sorry" for a woman that feels that wearing her hair unaltered, natural, the way god created her connects her to her blackness?

Of all the mentalities that plague Black women in America today you pity those that take pride in their coils and associate it with their blackness? Really?

I really don't mean to derail your thread OP.

4evershika

I say that you can have healthy relaxed hair, so go for it. You only live once, and at the end of the day, you can always transition back to natural if you desired to in the future.

I hate to say it's just hair but... it's just hair so do what makes you (and your hair) happy! =)

For the record though, I think your hair is super cute natural!

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

otegwu first of all you're a beautiful woman and being natural really seems to suit you and your features! But if you always want your hair to be straight and dont really enjoy being natural then maybe you should relax.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned over the years is, if your hair is unmangeable, its because you havent learned to manage it......that goes for relaxed and natural ladies. The bottom line is in which state are you willing to put in the work for? In which state do you prefer your hair?

You should also give yourself time in making this decision and ask yourself, am I making this decision out of frustration, or genuinely preferring relaxed hair? Have I really researched methods to cut down on styling time? Like speaking to a fellow tenderheaded type 4 like Mwedzi who is about to be waistlength and how she went about things?

Good luck on your decision I know your hair will look beautiful either way:yep:

ceebee3

OP, I think your hair looks great. If you want to relax then you have plenty of resources here to keep your hair healthy.

You don't have to rush to make a decision, take your time. Either way you can grow beautiful long hair.

Good Luck!

Lynnerie

Check out Crackers Phinn aka JCoily. She went back to relaxing and her hair has done very well.

Have you considered being a straight-hair natural?

How has natural hair care become difficult for you?

sharifeh

I just say take your sweet time deciding. I understand the risk with bkt, since it's so new...but at least it wears off. I know you can transitioning again if you relax...but I'm relaxed and transitioning just sounds like a pain in the arse. Straight hair is more straightforward, lol no pun intended. If management is your main issue, then yes, relaxing would help, I think.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lynnerie

otegwu first of all you're a beautiful woman and being natural really seems to suit you and your features! But if you always want your hair to be straight and dont really enjoy being natural then maybe you should relax.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned over the years is, if your hair is unmangeable, its because you havent learned to manage it......that goes for relaxed and natural ladies. The bottom line is in which state are you willing to put in the work for? In which state do you prefer your hair?
You should also give yourself time in making this decision and ask yourself, am I making this decision out of frustration, or genuinely preferring relaxed hair? Have I really researched methods to cut down on styling time? Like speaking to a fellow tenderheaded type 4 like Mwedzi who is about to be waistlength and how she went about things?

Good luck on your decision I know your hair will look beautiful either way:yep:

I really agree with your post. When managing hair I feel that most people who have trouble are usually practicing techniques not right for their hair type- whether you are relaxed or natural. But one thing for sure is there are many ladies on this board who have long beautiful relaxed hair who can help.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
My advice is don't rush it. Take your time and do your homework. I read these forums for about 4 - 6 months before I made my decision.

This is my advice as well. I spent at least 6 months researching brands of relaxers, relaxer strengths, Do it yourself vs a stylist dependency, stretching, etc. before I finally decided to relax. I think that if you give yourself some time to cool off and research then there's less chance of regretting the decision down the line.

My fotki details my relaxed -transition-natural-back to relaxed journey.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Nya33

Hey your hair is very nice! I went from natural to relaxed in june 09. I had learnt how to take care of my hair and improved its condition. I could have stayed natural but i didnt. I relaxed because i wanted to and i liked wearing my hair straight a lot more than curly so i would do more harm with heat styling to get the desired look. And for me i love my relaxed hair especially as i have learnt how to take care of it properly. Whatever you decide i wish you well, just remember that either option isnt easier and remaining natural or relaxing will require good hair practices to maintain healthy hair.

brucebettye

I am texlaxed because I like my curly, koily, kinky, wavy hair, but I like the ease of it being texlaxed. Before you do anything to your hair make sure it is what you really really really want. I enjoy my wash and go hair, and you should enjoy your hair.

ParagonTresses

OP, I really don't have any advice on the matter; I'm still in the "honeymoon" faze of being newly natural. I just wanted to commend you for your thread. It seems as if you are seriously considering all your options and are doing your research, which is the first step to healthy tresses. If you think a relaxer would better suite your hair/lifestyle then go for it! Wishing you a HHJ and keep us posted!

spelmanlocks

I had natural hair for twenty something years and got my first relaxer when I was about 22 years old. My hair has been relaxed for about 4 years now and grew the longest it ever was, when it was just below BSL. However, I recently had to cut it to apl. I decided to go relaxed because I really wanted to try something new. However, my natural hair wasn't in the best condition because I dyed my hair and didn't moisturize it properly so it broke off badly. Also, I had heat damage from straightening it so much, because I liked to wear my hair straight often also. Had I known more about proper hair care I might have stayed natural, but I do enjoy my relaxed hair also and will stay this way for a while.

otegwu

Thanks so much guys for the response,

just wanted to say that I love natural hair, but not on me, the styles dont really match me and my personality, I know I like straight hair and would end up damaging my hair more with heat. thus the bkt wont be for me.

This has nothing to do with me having an identity crisis, Im very happy as a black woman, I speak in an African accent, live in an African home and love visiting my tribal village.lol.

I have good hair practices but Im now at a point that I don't even want to touch my natural hair any more, it aggravates me! the only way for me to keep my hair manageable is to put it in four fat plaits, and that just aint me its not a style, puffs and braid outs just end up as dreads by the end of the day.

I love every ones advice and will continue to do my research but don't be surprised if theres another post from me with relaxed hair :), I've had so much info that i know I will be successful with my next move.

once again thank you all

changedname

Natural hair isn't for everyone - I know it isn't for me. I love natural hair but I don't like the way it looks on me.

Make sure that you're fully informed about relaxed hair if you do decide to transition, although I'm sure you know plenty already. Do what's right for you and you'll be happy.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hi guys,

not completely sure if going from natural to relaxed is actually transitioning, but for me it is....well mentally.

I wanted to find out about how many people have gone from natural to relaxed hair and enjoyed it and had growth and have stayed relaxed for at least 2 years.

I love natural hair but I have come to realise it may not be for me, I love straight hair far to much,Im thinking BKT or Relaxer, But I am swayed away from the bkt its just too new and the results vary so much.

I have learnt so much on this forum about how to really take good care of black hair and I know I could be successful with a relaxer,I have been successful being natural but have just come to the end :wallbash: , as my natural has become too difficult for me, and Im just tired of the time and energy it takes.:sad:

so, please I would like relaxed heads to chime in and those who have gone from natural to relaxed...aww hek, everyone to be honest :grin:

Your hair is fierce girl!!!! don't relax your hair :perplexed

purplepeace79

Thanks so much guys for the response,

just wanted to say that I love natural hair, but not on me, the styles dont really match me and my personality, I know I like straight hair and would end up damaging my hair more with heat. thus the bkt wont be for me.

This has nothing to do with me having an identity crisis, Im very happy as a black woman, I speak in an African accent, live in an African home and love visiting my tribal village.lol.

I have good hair practices but Im now at a point that I don't even want to touch my natural hair any more, it aggravates me! the only way for me to keep my hair manageable is to put it in four fat plaits, and that just aint me its not a style, puffs and braid outs just end up as dreads by the end of the day.

I love every ones advice and will continue to do my research but don't be surprised if theres another post from me with relaxed hair :), I've had so much info that i know I will be successful with my next move.

once again thank you all

To the bolded. Your first sentence contradicts the last. If you truly have good hair practices, your hair would not be in dreads by the end of the day. You're doing something really wrong. BUT, that doesn't really matter, since you are so aggravated to the point of not even wanting to touch your hair. Sounds like you really arent happy to be nappy lol

I'm wondering if there are other solutions, like weaves or braid extensions or something else temporary.

I dont know you or your personality, but if its anything like whats shining through those pictures, your hair definitely suits you. I can't imagine how you'd look with straight hair.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Your "blackness" has nothing to do with your hair. I think that sometimes there is a stereotype that relaxed women hate their hair/ their own identity. I think that issue is so played out. I view relaxed hair as an option on how I choose to maintain and style my hair. I do not hate myself or my culture. :rolleyes: You have to choose to do what you want to your hair. I love natural hair myself, but I am not skilled in the styling or care of it on myself. You, however, have great skill at braiding and caring for your hair. I think your natural hair is beautiful, but it is what you think that is the most important thing. Take the time to research what you want to do. Whether you relax or stay natural, you will always have support here. Please keep us updated on what you will do.:yep::rosebud:

otegwu

just wanted to update every one who responded, I decided to put my hair in a weave for a while and think about it a bit longer

The relaxing Idea is mainly a decision about flexibility and the styles i prefer my hair is the healthiest its ever been and longest and Im sure its due to all the great things i have learned on the forum so thanks guys :)

otegwu

To the bolded. Your first sentence contradicts the last. If you truly have good hair practices, your hair would not be in dreads by the end of the day. You're doing something really wrong. BUT, that doesn't really matter, since you are so aggravated to the point of not even wanting to touch your hair. Sounds like you really arent happy to be nappy lol

I'm wondering if there are other solutions, like weaves or braid extensions or something else temporary.

I dont know you or your personality, but if its anything like whats shining through those pictures, your hair definitely suits you. I can't imagine how you'd look with straight hair.

I just like to say there isnt anything Im doing wrong other then trying to style my hair in a way 'I' like...but my hair doesn't, its as simple as that some people can put there hair in a puff and it last 6 days I can do it for one hour and its shrunken with tangles on the end.....its just the way my hair acts I cant be mad at it but i will not be restricted by it either.

if I listened to my hair and did what it wanted I would be in 4 bed plaits for the rest of my life, then it would grow to my toes but I really dont care that much!

Ive put a weave in for the moment to give me a bit more time to reseach my options.
...oh and I look gud with straight hair as well ;)

twistedbrownie

I transitioned in 2003 and was natural until the spring of this year. I wanted to wear my hair straight and didn't want to deal with the the hassle of blow washing, detangling, blow drying and flat ironing.

It was all good for the first month or two and then I was totally bored with my hair. Gone was the freedom to swim when I wanted. Yes, it was straight, but then I started to actually miss the process of washing it in the shower. I missed the option to wear it straight, or twisted, or puffy, or blown out, or in chignons, or all the other other goodies.

My appreciation for my relaxed hair only lasted five months. My plan was to be relaxed for a year or two, but I'm transitioning as we speak. (Three months down, six more to go before the BC!).