Transitioning with 4B/4C Hair... I need tips, advice, fotkis, products, etc...

TheseStankyLegs

Hello Everyone

I have finally made the decision to transition to natural. My decision came because I am not growing as long as I want and I am becoming more and more displeased with my relaxed hair.

My plan is NOT to do a BC, but rather grow my hair for 1-1.5 year and once it reaches chin length to shoulder length with new growth, cut it then. I am doing it this way because I am not brave enough to rock a fro (yes, I will admit it) and I believe that the year period will give me enough time to 'test the waters' and see if I can manage to grow healthy, natural hair.

I usually relax every 12-15 weeks and even in that time, I find serious issues with tangles, and tiny knots. Seeing how my transition will be even longer, I would like advice on products such as detangling combs, detanglers, moisturizing products etc.. that have helped you with YOUR transition. Have any of you documented your progress on your fotkis? If so, can I be linked?

I appreciate any and all help/advice.... I would really love for you to share your experience as well.

Thanks ladies!

pmichael52172

You and I are going for the exact same goals (no bc'ing, etc.) except I'm 4a - although that's not too much different. I could give you a good list of tips and products but I'd only be taking from some great threads that I think you should read instead:

Transitioner support thread
Naturals, what mistakes did you make.... (something like that)
and even the Relaxer Stretch support threads are good too.

Do a search on those and in them you'll find ladies with really great fotkis. I just found a HUGE list of fotkis listed in the thread 2008 Most Awesome Fotkis http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=234043 Pick through them because they are both natural and relaxed but most natural.

Warning: Once you click on a link you will find yourself so far away from the page you started on... you'll start clicking on links inside of links inside of links but the more you do, the more informed and inspired you'll get. There are days I finally stop and forget what I originally clicked on!

Mook's hair

My best advice is 1. avoid looking at Albums that show gorgeous relaxed hair. It is too tempting. Also, get some silicon Mix Conditioner and some Aussie Moist Conditioner.
2. Document your journey well with your own fotki. it will help tremendously.

I'm 4 a/b and in month 20 of my transition PM me anytime I'll be happy to help.

TheseStankyLegs

You and I are going for the exact same goals (no bc'ing, etc.) except I'm 4a - although that's not too much different. I could give you a good list of tips and products but I'd only be taking from some great threads that I think you should read instead:

Transitioner support thread
Naturals, what mistakes did you make.... (something like that)
and even the Relaxer Stretch support threads are good too.

Do a search on those and in them you'll find ladies with really great fotkis. I just found a HUGE list of fotkis listed in the thread 2008 Most Awesome Fotkis http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=234043 Pick through them because they are both natural and relaxed but most natural.

Warning: Once you click on a link you will find yourself so far away from the page you started on... you'll start clicking on links inside of links inside of links but the more you do, the more informed and inspired you'll get. There are days I finally stop and forget what I originally clicked on!

Thank you so much. I feel bad because I never even clicked on some of those threads because it didn't apply to my relaxed hair. Now, That I am transitioning, I need all the help I can get. Thank you!!!!

My best advice is 1. avoid looking at Albums that show gorgeous relaxed hair. It is too tempting. Also, get some silicon Mix Conditioner and some Aussie Moist Conditioner.
2. Document your journey well with your own fotki. it will help tremendously.

I'm 4 a/b and in month 20 of my transition PM me anytime I'll be happy to help.
I hear this silicon is very good.Do you use one? if so, which one? I definitely will document through progress. Thank you soooo much

Carrie A

Tips

TLC
TYT (Take your time) Less manipulation is more.
Very Wide Tooth shower comb
Knot today detangler. IMO
Protective styles (bun, braids, twists, even roller set)
Find natural fotki's for inspiration
Explore natural products but don't go overboard
Do neglect the new growth (make sure to deep condition etc at the roots)

**IMO avoid excessive straightening of the new growth as you transition. You want to experience your true hair texture when you BC. Then after that it you want to go that route fine. At least you know what you natural hair felt and looked like.

naturalgurl

I have a pic of the comb I use in my fotki. I'm all natural though but will be willing to help! You have a wealth of support and knowledge here. Mook is a good one to know while transitioning, she's been a real soldier! Also others transitioning here are just as good of a source. GOOD LUCK!

Carrie A

The detangler is called KNOT TODAY. It's part of the Kinky Curly line and is sold at Whole Foods. Afro detangler is another product. Try googling it. Many people just use cheapy conditioners like suave and vo5 and thats fine but for me the Marshmallow root in the Knot Today gives an okra like slipperiness that the comb just slides through.

Combs. I'm not sure what brand but if you go to my Fotki there is a picture of the combs I use in the products folder. Password is CarrieA's hair.

Carrie A

I know there have been some other threads that specifically address single strand knots. Try searching "single strand knots". I have more of a tangling problem than single strand knots but this is one of the major challenges of naturaldom. One trick I do is wet my ends with water and seal with castor oil, then baggy the ends. The cluster knots I had went away. Although some of my coils are a little looser these "laws" still apply and should work for you. Other 4a/4b natural ladies- Nonie, Just Kiya, Mwedzi will hopefully chime in.