Tried conditioner wash, but...Help!

MissM

I tried the conditioner wash on Saturday with the Suave coconut conditioner and it came out really gorgeous and soft. Today my scalp feels so yucky and it has that need-to-be-washed smell. I have 3c hair and I normally wash every 5 days now that it's gotten cold. I don't want to break down and shampoo but I feel like my scalp is getting ready to crawl off the top of my head. It's not itchy, it just feels dirty. Is this normal or is this just not for me?

Tara

HI! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm the conditioner wash lady! LOL! In regards to your hair (I'm guessing you may not have the book) one of the things that's important to remember is, you HAVE to clean your scalp.

So when you put the conditioner on your hair ends, that is not enough. You have to take the pads of your fingers, just like you would if you were to shampoo and "clean" your scalp as well, not just the hair. You'll probably notice some suds, because most conditioners have "cleansers" in them as well.

I know it can be confusing because before I bought the book it was hard for me to get the step-by-step from anyone.

In her book she says (lemme get the book and type it, lol just so I can make sure I'm quoting her properly)

"With your fingertips and this bit of conditioner you're going to cleanse your scalp [italics mine], loosening any residue that's accumulated. Believe me, the conditioner, and the stimulation from your fingers will work as well as shampoo. Starting at the temples, rub gently down the sides, then move to the top of your head scrubbing gently toward the crown. Finally, move down the back of your head, finishing up at the nape. Now let the shower spray wash through your entire head, rinsing out whatever your fingers have loosened. Your scalp is clean now. Still worried about sweat or other buildup? Remember that sweat and sebum are sterile. But they DO attract buildup if left on too long. HOwever, friction is a time tested method of cleaning (think of a washing machine), and it will remove everything that needs to be removed without harming your scalp."

Sorry this is so long, but I know that if you don't have the book, doesn't it seem hard to get all the info you need on this routine? It was at least for me, so I'm hoping this helps you.

I remember thinking OK, I just rinse my "hair" (because people on the net call it conditioner RINSING, when we should probably be more clear and say Conditioner WASHING, but you gotta wash your scalp, just like you would if you were shampooing.

Another thing, this book does not emphasize styling products except for an alchohal free gel that is a humectant. So that is another thing to consider, if you grease your scalp, use heavy oils, or thick stlying creams, you may have more buildup, and so you may need to do a modified version of this routine and shampoo from time to time.

Again when you are scrubbing your scalp, do it however you normally do when you clean with shampoo, with the same amount of friction, and you'll see the suds, and hopefully when you do the "finger nail" test (lightly scrap your nail against your scalp) it should come back clean.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MissM

Thanks Tara! You're right, all I did was just rinse my hair and slapped the conditioner on and didn't do it like I was actually shampooing my hair. I also need to switch to washing my hair in the sink to doing it in the shower. Your suggestions really made a big difference and thank you for taking the time to write back to me! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tara

(blushing) awwww, thanks so much! I'm glad my post helped!

If you have any questions about any thing in the book (like certain recipes or whatever let me know and I'll post them )

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tara

Bumping for mrdst.

Country gal

Tara,

Thank you for posting the steps in conditioner washing. I have wanted to try it and was unsure of the steps.