"Trim/Cut It Until It's Even" Challenge 2006

Is anyone here looking for their hair to even up before they work on their length goals?

With the "Trim/Cut It Until It's Even" Challenge we would be able to trim or cut as often as we want as long as we are allowing our shorter areas to catch up for a more even and fuller look by the end of 2006. Would anyone be interested in joining me on a challenge like this?

Here's my info:
In general my hair falls to about 1 1/2 inches below my shoulders. The rest is shorter however. I want to make it to armpit length, but first I want the back lower portion of my hair to catch up with the rest. No point in having armpit length "see through" hair. The right side also grows faster than the left so that is the main area I have to cut back on as the rest grows.

I plan to maintain the length I am at right now by trimming each time I relax (about every 10 weeks). I will leave the back lower portion alone in order to let it catch up.

determine3

This is a great thread and I hope it thrives until my hair length grows enough for me to start making it even. Right now, I kinda need to hang on to anything I gain!!!! Currently, the back of my hair (well, 2+ weeks ago) was sitting at the very bottom of my neck, almost shoulders but the middle, front and sides need to catch up!!!! When my bangs grow out and middle grow out, I want to cut it all even! I love to see hair- short or long all even. It just looks nicer,fuller and healthier.

Thanks for starting this challenge and I look forward to joining it in the new year!

Ronda123

Great thread! I have been on this challenge personally and would love to join this challenge in 2006. The back of my hair is about shoulder length and the front is just below ear length. Before I work on my length goals, I want my hair all one length.

Before my BIG cut...I have always worn my hair one length, so count me in...:)
I will be wearing a bun as a protective style to reach my goal and trim during relaxer touch ups (about every 10-12 weeks) and I will leave the front section alone.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Ok, this challenge is definitely for me. :yep:

Last week I touched up my new growth after six weeks. (I usually wait for a minimum of eight weeks.) I had an inch or more of new growth in most areas. I wound up trimming more than an inch at the back to even it up with the top .

My temples and widow's peak are growing in well, and my old bangs finally grew out to chin length. Sometimes I feel as if I'm going nowhere because I'm always trimming and waiting for a few areas of breakage to grow out.

I don't want a major cut, so I'm committed to protective styles until it's even everywhere. I don't want see-through armpit length hair either. This new challenge should help with my goal of APL at the end of 2006.

Last edited:

CinnaMocha

CandiceC said:
Is anyone here looking for their hair to even up before they work on their length goals?

No point in having armpit length "see through" hair.

CandiceC

That makes a lot of sense, my hair is comign together except for above my right and left ear, maybe that's why I feel like my hair is not as full (even though I do have thin strands). I am getting my hair touched up tomorrow, I may consider it (this will be a first for me)

CM

Elizabeth26

I just wanted to offer you guys encouragement on this challenge. I was trying this same method back in september 2004 but I wasn't getting anywhere. My stylist and I sat down and discuss how to even my hair up. I did it for about 8 months but I didn't really see such a big improvement but of course I didn't know about LHCF at the time. I decided I'm going to dust, let it grow and then cut if needed. Good Luck guys!

Thanks for the responses!

I'll probably keep bumping this thread up throughout the year.

@determine3- I hope you can join us this year! :)

@Ronda123- My hair on the sides of my head grows at the same rate as the upper back section of it's respective side (left or right). You'll love having your hair even all around! It makes your hair appear longer overall. :yep:

@Victorious- I don't want a major cut either so that's why I'm doing smaller cuts as I go along. We'll get to armpit length sooner or later and with much fuller hair! :grin:

@Carribean dream and Jaded faerie- Thanks for the encouragement! :)

@Liz25_GA- Isn't LHCF the best? :D

Last edited:
CinnaMocha said:
CandiceC

That makes a lot of sense, my hair is comign together except for above my right and left ear, maybe that's why I feel like my hair is not as full (even though I do have thin strands). I am getting my hair touched up tomorrow, I may consider it (this will be a first for me)

CM

I did some cutting on the right side not long ago and it felt really good to have my hair look more even on the sides and the back. The left side didn't look so bad afterall. :) It's like walking around with a shorter leg. You could be 6'3, but if one of your legs makes you 6'1 that shorter leg is going to look much shorter when being compared to the other one.

The difference in length is so bothersome to me. I don't even count those extra inches of growth on the right side because I've got to cut them anyway. Even if I were to rollerset my hair tighter on that side it's still noticeable.

Then there's the issue of the lower back portion being about 3 inches shorter. I can't wear my hair down without it looking really thin. I don't have a choice but to cut the upper back portion as the lower portion grows out. I'd rather cut my hair back now than to wait until I'm armpit length and then have to cut inches off then in order to wear my hair down.

I'll be posting update pictures at the end of the year showing my hair looking thicker overall. I know a lot of people show their length progress, but I need to use this year to gain some length in my former breakage area. :)

This challenge would probably be best for those that have had breakages areas in the back. There are a lot of people here whose sides grow shorter, but they can still have full looking hair in the back.

Last edited:

CinnaMocha

CandiceC said:
I did some cutting on the right side not long ago and it felt really good to have my hair look more even on the sides and the back. The left side didn't look so bad afterall. :) It's like walking around with a shorter leg. You could be 6'3, but if one of your legs makes you 6'1 that shorter leg is going to look much shorter when being compared to the other one.

This challenge would probably be best for those that have had breakages areas in the back. There are a lot of people here whose sides grow shorter, but they can still have full looking hair in the back.

Thanks for the response, I will really consider this tomorrow when I am sitting in my stylist chair.

CM

jrae

I'm in. I hate to do it, but it needs to be done. I'll be wearing it up for the most part and dusting the back every 8 weeks or so.

jrae said:
I'm in. I hate to do it, but it needs to be done. I'll be wearing it up for the most part and dusting the back every 8 weeks or so.

Welcome aboard.
It's kind of a pain to have to hold back, but in the end it should be worth it. :)

CinnaMocha

Got the touch-up and realized that it was my new growth making my hair look a whole lot thinner that usual (thank God). The moment I notice my hair is not looking the way it should, I will definitely be on this challenge.

CinnaMocha said:
Got the touch-up and realized that it was my new growth making my hair look a whole lot thinner that usual (thank God). The moment I notice my hair is not looking the way it should, I will definitely be on this challenge.
I'm glad things worked out for you. I know about the "new growth making your hair look thinner overall" thing.

LaNecia

CandiceC said:
I plan to maintain the length I am at right now by trimming each time I relax (about every 10 weeks). I will leave the back lower portion alone in order to let it catch up.

Candie_C, I'm in. this is my plan too, only more so for getting rid of "wave splits", though I do have thickness issues that NEED to be addressed!

My hair falls just past the base of my neck, in the back, with my sides and bangs being MUCH shorter. I'm striving to make these areas more even and fuller as well.

After my retouch, I'll post my starting point photos in my album.

harden718

Please count me in my problem is my left side is a little past shoulder while my right side is armpit length. It looks so awkward, I will be wearing a ponytail until that side decides to catch up. Although,I do see some
improvement because it was chin length before. Boy I really had bad breakage.:mad:

starz

I'm joining. I'm in a similar boat as VWVixxen. I'll be trimming to get rid of the wavy crazy splits. They are halting my progress and there's no use in holding on to them.

Faith

I did it the other way. I focused on length now I'm all about evening it out...just the bottom layer. So I can sort of join the challenge.

Faith

CandiceC said:
I'm glad things worked out for you. I know about the "new growth making your hair look thinner overall" thing.
I know...I was 18 weeks P.R and was thinking WTH did my hair get so THIN then I relaxed and realized it was because I was so many weeks P.R. Weird!

Faith said:
I know...I was 18 weeks P.R and was thinking WTH did my hair get so THIN then I relaxed and realized it was because I was so many weeks P.R. Weird!

Good to see this thread brought back up. :D

I'm 12 weeks post relaxer and my hair is looking thinner, but I know why so I'm not trippin. ;)

If after I relax my hair on Saturday, I see my scalp massages and MTGing on my slower growing areas hasn't caught me up, I'll be trimming the faster growing area yet again.

starz said:
Still on board. I just gave myself another trim(the 4th one for this year).

Cool.
I evened things up some more about 4 weeks ago after I relaxed the front section of my hair. I took pics so I could see how much fuller my hair looked after I trimmed the longer areas.
The back is coming along nicely. I haven't relaxed the back section for six months, but I did flat iron it to see the progress. I'm really looking forward to everything being even!

sareca

CandiceC said:

With the "Trim/Cut It Until It's Even" Challenge we would be able to trim or cut as often as we want as long as we are allowing our shorter areas to catch up for a more even and fuller look by the end of 2006. Would anyone be interested in joining me on a challenge like this?

Here's my info:
In general my hair falls to about 1 1/2 inches below my shoulders. The rest is shorter however. I want to make it to armpit length, but first I want the back lower portion of my hair to catch up with the rest. No point in having armpit length "see through" hair. The right side also grows faster than the left so that is the main area I have to cut back on as the rest grows.

Oh my goodness don't even tempt me! My hair isn't thinner anywhere, but it's far from even. It would be all one length (SL) if I cut off the 3.5 inches of hair in the back. My ultimate goal is one length BSL hair. But I'm going to wait until I get 1 inch past APL before I start trimming. :(

Last edited:

BrwnSugaBabee

I would like to join. I decided I want to trim to knock out these layers. I am at a modest APL I will trim prob every two months. This is going to take forever! LOL..I don't think I will be totally there by the end of the year but I will be close. I'm starting when I take my braids out which will be this weekend or the next.:perplexed I want my hair to be full and even at armpit before I move on to BSL. I feel like most of the other posters once the point of thin see thru long hair? Count me in!:grin:

HighlyFavored1

Good challenge! I’ll definitely jump in, but with my own variation. I will continue to trim whatever is necessary to keep my hair from being thin at the back until my crown and nape are even. But since my sides don’t grow as quickly, I don’t think I’ll ever manage to have hair that’s even all around.

Thanks for joining, ladies! Welcome aboard! :wave:

ETA: Be sure to update. If you need to find this thread in the future the link is always in my siggy.

Synthia

Hey! I didn't know this was a challenge. :yay:

I just made the decision to trim every 7 weeks (with every relaxer) because I want healthy even hair with consistent thickness.

The bottom half of my hair (which I thought was slamming 6 months ago) now just pales in comparison to my thicker better hair that's grown in since joining LCHF last October.

I was hungry for length and so impatient. I've been like "c'mon on brastrap!!" ...but it just doesn't make sense to keep growing without trimming and thickening first.

This is not a very popular opinion I've seen ...as most, including Cathy Howse, believe you should just keep the ends on and grow, grow, grow.

But really Cathy's hair is not outstanding enough to make me forgo trims. And while this belief has started numerous debates in the past, I do think trimming makes you reach longer lengths faster... Strange but true.

So glad this thread is here for support :yay:

Last edited: