Tropical Dominican Conditioners

SVT

Pebbles and Allandra:

Especially for you two, here's the latest.

The rep called me back and said one case (12 jars) of the large size avocado cream would cost around $25 to ship to my state COD. So 25/12 = $2.08 per large jar! Not bad, huh Pebbles? /images/graemlins/wink.gif BTW, I'm on the west side of town so my cost is higher.

I'm soooo close to ordering the stuff. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SVT

Oh, here's the same link that I posted in freckles' thread. Thanks to lydicarol from nc.com!!!

The rep also told me that they are in the process of revamping the site and that the small jars are no longer available.

http://www.tropicalintl.com/

pebbles

SVT,

That's regular price, right? If it's a sale price, I'm going to buy now. That's a bargain too good to pass up! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sorry NayNay. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Oh... my... GOSH!
You have answered my prayers! LOL I'm sure my friend in NY will be glad that I can get this stuff myself now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have tried to contact someone at Mimor Distributors about buying a large quantity of Tropical and Miss Key/Diez en Uno conditioners. So far I haven't received an answer to the message I left...
Maybe someone here will have better luck--

Mimor Distributors
1 Madison St # B4, East Rutherford, NJ 07073
Phone: (973) 473-8550

SVT

I wouldn't know the retail price. The conditioners aren't sold by any beauty supply store in my area. But the price I was quoted, sounds reasonable based on the posts I've read by NYC ladies.

I'm hesitant, though, because twelve is a lot to buy if the product doesn't work on my hair and I want to believe that I have my PJitis under control. I've been doing very well lately. We will see... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SVT

sassygirl125, I called this toll free number and got a quote the same day:

TROPICAL INTERNATIONAL COSMETICS, INC.
1104 Pacific Street Brooklyn, NY 11238
Tel: 718-857-4901 Fax: 718-857-2881
Toll Free: 888-777-TROPICAL(8767)

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That's regular price, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular price is $3.99 for a 17 oz. jar. At least that what the sticker says on mine...

pebbles

Thanks SVT. I'm going to buy them anyway. If I don't like it, I have a lot of women I can give some away to. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allandra

I'm going to buy them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm. Excuse me Pebbles. You are going to buy these in February 2003 aren't you? (tapping foot and shaking head from side-to-side). Girl, you know I'm only trying to help you out. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Allandra

SVT,

I have the large size (17 ounces) Tropical Avocado. I don't use it every time I do my hair. So, it'll last me for a while. I have also used it as a pre-shampoo treatment. I don't think $2.08 for a 17 ounce size is bad at all. I don't remember the price of mine because a friend visited NYC and purchased it for me. If you do order them, maybe you can spilt the costs with someone else here that wants it (just a thought). Does anyone know which one of the Tropical conditioners is the most popular/used?

BTW, which state do you reside in? Feel free to e-mail me or send me an instant message. TIA.

BlkMane

Hi, ladies...wow, a link to Tropical conditioner products! My fav! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always use the Avocado. Haven't tried the others, but I think next time I might try the Carrot one to see how it is.

Here in NYC, I pay $3.99 for the large size jar.

BTW- The containers for the Avocado version in the photos is not the one I always buy. Mine has a white lid and dark green jar and is made in the Dominican Republic. The version in the photos is the one I've seen at Ray's Beauty Supply &amp; Rite Aid and tends to smell different. I'm not clear on why these differences exist. I have noticed that some of the products from Rite Aid are made in Venezuela (not the Dom. Rep.)

Maybe the US branch of Tropical (the website) is associated with the Venezuelan brand?

SVT

The version in the photos is the one I've seen at Ray's Beauty Supply &amp; Rite Aid and tends to smell different. I'm not clear on why these differences exist. I have noticed that some of the products from Rite Aid are made in Venezuela (not the Dom. Rep.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugggh.

I want the reeel deeel ( Dominican version). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll call the company again to clarify. Thanks Blkmane!

SVT

Actually, the Tropical brand, regardless of where it's manufactured, might be the one I've read so much about and been wanting to try for so long.

Hmmm, off to do more research....

pebbles

Hi Allandra, /images/graemlins/blush.gif

The price is so good, what if it's not available in February? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Allright, I'll wait. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I haven't made a purchase in so long, you don't think I'll forget how to, do you?The only good thing about this purchase restriction is that I'm using up a lot of what I already have, though there's a whole lot more still unused. I swear, come February, I'm going on a product shopping spree. I've been keeping a list of the products I want to try once this punishment period is over. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Allandra

Pebbles,

Now you must post all of the items that you have on your list to try. I can't wait to see this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, February is almost here. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

auntybe

Thanks for posting the info ladies! If anyone wants to split the cost of a case let me know.

SVT

In response to
Poster: sassygirl125
Subject: Re: Tropical Dominican Conditioners

I just called. They said they only sell to retailers and wholesalers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's weird because they me asked if I was a consumer or a business. I told them consumer but that their products were not available in my area. Maybe it depends on who you talk to?

I called them again today to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me about the price. The rep broke it down a little more and said the actual product was $8.25/case and the rest of the charge was for UPS shipping, COD, taxes (I think), etc. I then asked them if the products were from the D.R. or Venezuela. She put me on hold for a sec then returned and said "the U.S.". My mind said huh and my mouth said "Okay, thank you". I don't know what to make of that info.

kasey

Maybe we can get the ingredients for this Avocado conditioner and compare them to BlkMane's jar. If the ingredients are the same and in the same order I'd be interested in taking a chance on one jar.

But I am curious, if the product is $8.25 a case and it costs a total of $25 to ship, why would the tax and shipping be nearly $17 dollars. The total weight of the package is only approximately 12 pounds. That seems a little pricey. But it is still cheaper than buying off of the shelf.

Thanks for your research SVT.

--kc

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
They told me $9.60 per case. Maybe it's based on where you live... When I started giving her my address she asked if it was a business address--obviously it wasn't. That's when she put me on hold. When she got back on the line she said they only sell to retailers and wholesalers.
Weird indeed!
If you (or anyone else!) is able to place an order and want to split the cost, I'm game. I like the Avocado, but I would like to try the Milk &amp; Honey (Leche y Miel), too.

Dandy112

Like sassygirl125 If anyone is able to purchase the conditioners I would like to split the cost as well. I have never used the Tropical Dominican Conditioners but I have heard such great things about them that I would like to give it a try. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SVT

But I am curious, if the product is $8.25 a case and it costs a total of $25 to ship, why would the tax and shipping be nearly $17 dollars. The total weight of the package is only approximately 12 pounds. That seems a little pricey. But it is still cheaper than buying off of the shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shipping is based on location. I'm west of the Mississippi, so my shipping is higher. The rep warned me before estimating my cost that the shipping would be more than the product. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SVT

They told me $9.60 per case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...maybe the Milk n Honey is more expensive. That's the only reason I can think of for them to charge a different price.

auntybe

SVT:

I just called and they said even if the products weren't available where I live I have to be a wholeseller or a retailer....go figure

SVT

In response to
Poster: auntybe
Subject: Re: Tropical Dominican Conditioners

SVT:

I just called and they said even if the products weren't available where I live I have to be a wholeseller or a retailer....go figure

[/ QUOTE ]

Daaang! East Coast can't get no love, huh?

BlkMane

Okay, I have some info for you all:

My DOMINICAN made Tropical Avocado conditioner has this on the jar:
Made in the Dominican Republic by
Cosmeticos Tropical Dominicana S.A.
Reg. Ind. 18648
Distributed in U.S.A. by MIMOR
N.J. 07073

The ingredients are (in the exact order they appear on the jar): Demineralized water, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetyl trimethyl ammonium chloride, propylene glycol, glyceryl monostearate, oleyl alochol, carrot oil (misprint I think, I posted previously about the misprint on the avocado and carrot version jars), fragrance, BHA, BHT, metylparaben, propyl paraben, yellow FD &amp; C No. 5, Red No. 3.

The other day I was at the dollar store and was surprised to see Tropical SHAMPOOS. I bought a bottle of Aloe Vera shampoo (the same one in the pictures at the website). THIS shampoo says: Made in Venezuela by Industrias Degil, C.A.
Distributed by Tropical International Cosmetics, New York, NY 10001.

So, you see, the website IS related to the Venezuelan brand. BTW- I didn't like the shampoo AT ALL. It seems sort of harsh and tangled my hair up...I've been using it to clean my brushes, combs and sink. /images/graemlins/grin.gif (It was only $1)

I wonder if the distributor of the Dominican brand, MIMOR has a website?

SVT

Thanks Blkmane!

I did some digging around and came up with this:

http://bb.naturallycurly.com/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=1&amp;t=024086

The one I have is also from the DR but another one I have is from Venezuela. I think it is basically the same company manufactured in two different countries, because the packaging is pretty much the same except for some minor differances like the DR jar will have a differant color jar top than the actual jar and the Venezuela jar would have the same color cap. I also notices some of the scents were differant, other than that, same color, same writing...not sure if one is better than the other but I personally like the ones coming out of the DR in regards to smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJ2002's post makes sense because TIC's product has the same logo as the product featured in Blkmane's album!

Okay, I'm settled on the isssue of which product is which.

Now I gotta justify spending $25 for 204oz. of Avocado Cream. The quantity is outrageous. Why can't they sell 6 jars for $12.50? Why won't any store in my town order it? Why does my man mock me at this most important time in my life? Why, why,why?

...and what happened to the flower in my signature? If anyone finds it, let me know.

Allandra

My DOMINICAN made Tropical Avocado conditioner has this on the jar:
Made in the Dominican Republic by
Cosmeticos Tropical Dominicana S.A.
Reg. Ind. 18648
Distributed in U.S.A. by MIMOR
N.J. 07073

The ingredients are (in the exact order they appear on the jar): Demineralized water, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetyl trimethyl ammonium chloride, propylene glycol, glyceryl monostearate, oleyl alochol, carrot oil (misprint I think, I posted previously about the misprint on the avocado and carrot version jars), fragrance, BHA, BHT, metylparaben, propyl paraben, yellow FD &amp; C No. 5, Red No. 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blkmane,

I have the same Tropical Avocado.

SVT,

Are you going to order any?

Pebbles,

Hmmmmm.....

A

AmilLion

Hey Ladies, how's everyone?

Well today I decided to do some shopping and decided I would purchase some hair products. I've been good for the past month and some change. Anyway, I went to El Mundo on 133rd &amp; Broadway in Manhattan. I haven't been there in years and boy ohhhh boy.......dozens upon dozens of Dominican conditioners, rinses and shampoo's to choose from. As one who reads ingredients on every product I was sooo excited to find that many of the Dominican conditioners didn't contain mineral oil/lanolin and etc.

The bonus to add is the variety and the price. Talk about cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaapp. This afternoon I picked up D'Fina's Aceite De Oliva Rinse (Desenreda y Suaviza Su Pelo). I don't know what a word of that says but the ingredients and instructions is listed in English. It contains Purified water, cetyl alcohol, lanolin, propil-paraben, metil-paraben (i think it's spelled in spanish) and Olive Oil. Boyy ohhh boy does it smell good as well. I purchased a 16oz bottle for $3.89. Not bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This product claims its purpose is to smooth the hair and is enriched with natural ingredients.

Tonight I tried it on my moms hair and it couldn't be any prettier. OMG, I'm completely astonished with the results.

Here's the website for elmundo for those who do not live in nyc. www.elmundony.com

Tebby1017

Are you sure that is the proper link to El Mundo? I tried clicking on this link and a page that looked like a search engine came up....nothing to El Mundo Beauty Supply.

When I want to get the Dominican products I have to either have a friend from New York send them or have my sister pick some up for me when she goes down there. I don't get that much time to get down there myself, so I would love to have them ship products to me.

Tebby