Truly "THIN" HAIRED WAIST/HIP LENGTH ladies....where are ya?

luckiestdestiny

Well I'm almost in the wl club BUT you can't see my scalp BUT my hair is thin. It's a paradox. I had tons of fine strands. My hair is really dense.

THIS does cause complications when detangling as my hair is so fine I have to take my sweet time (but also very kinky curly 4a). It would be easy to rip away with a comb because of this paradox and end up with uneven hair that has to be cut (therefore losing length). This is what has happened to me all my life: when I was little my hair was hip length combed out (not blown out) in a ponytail. When hairstylists started working on it (my dad thought they could do a better job than my mom), they just didn't have the patience (and assumed since I had a lot of hair that my hair could "take it" the crazy combing where they put their "back into it" and huge gobs of hair in the comb). So my long hair quickly went to "short" hair and/or just past medium length (shoulder to apl) depending on the patience of the stylist (as we moved a lot and my dad was in the army).

So yes I have fine hair, but it's a ton of it. AND it holds many rewards (with low manipulation) and also annoyance (at the slow really tedious detangling/combing sessions so that I can be delicate with it because of it's fine nature. AND I mean really delicate compared to some of my friends (even though they're delicate with their hair not as delicate as I have to be) with thicker natural strands who can get through theirs faster and their hair can take "it".)

Low manip was the key for my growth and always has been (if I braid it up it's for a while same with if I flat iron that sucker better last for two-three weeks and still revert. Whereas I see those twisting away. My hair would be on the floor in a heart beat twists every three days. My hair rolls its eyes at that thought (figuratively of course:spinning:). I'm happy for those who can do that but not for me. That's too much manipulation for my fine hair.

If I start doing braid outs, once I get to the length I want...and I'm picky I want a certain length and then braidouts... but if I do it and it starts to look messy...I will not redo. If it gets frizzy it's time to go up into a ps. I hope the braid out can make it the week and then up in a ps for another week or two. So that I'm not constantly manipulating it.

When flat ironed...Wash? Every 2-3 weeks. Dry shampoo in between. And I do not have an oil scalp so it's not nasty. The dry shampoo keeps it clean and nice smelling. If I was just messing with it all the time I'd have no air on my head. Other wise wash in braids still either just a quick rinse every week, with a conditioner wash every 2-3 wks (diluted)

Last edited:
I have fine hair and I've made it to about waist length (again) even with flat ironing at least twice a week. Now, my hair is pretty badly damaged and my ends are thin which is why I cut it up late last year to about brastrap or a bit shorter even. I did that in September or early October and I am at partial waist length again and my hair is more even than the last time I was at waist. So I went from brastrap to waist in about 4.5 months. It's still painfully thin though :(. I don't know that I'll ever have the thick look that I desire. I fantasize about bunning or not flat ironing for one year straight and I feel convinced that if I did my hair would become thicker as it was when I was a kid. I feel the flat iron is responsible for my hair's thin look. My hair used to look thicker when I got blowouts without the flat iron. I know my hair has so much potential because of how fast it grows but I'm addicted to the flat iron :nono:..

luckiestdestiny

I have fine hair and I've made it to about waist length (again) even with flat ironing at least twice a week. Now, my hair is pretty badly damaged and my ends are thin which is why I cut it up late last year to about brastrap or a bit shorter even. I did that in September or early October and I am at partial waist length again and my hair is more even than the last time I was at waist. So I went from brastrap to waist in about 4.5 months. It's still painfully thin though :(. I don't know that I'll ever have the thick look that I desire. I fantasize about bunning or not flat ironing for one year straight and I feel convinced that if I did my hair would become thicker as it was when I was a kid. I feel the flat iron is responsible for my hair's thin look. My hair used to look thicker when I got blowouts without the flat iron. I know my hair has so much potential because of how fast it grows but I'm addicted to the flat iron :nono:..

I'm interested in henna to smooth out the frizz so if I roller set,I can do a saran wrap toget it smooth and straight. Not sure if I'll take the plunge as it may make my hair look even bigger (as I think it thickens strands). I do like the idea of wearing it straight 1/2 the time, but don't necessarily want to relax...I really don't know what to do about that. I really want my length to show after all this work! Also worried about mixing it up. Being simple has allowed me from shoulder to this point (after set back/cut, and recent this past summer 2 inch trim) in 14 months.

Last edited:

Imani

When hairstylists started working on it (my dad thought they could do a better job than my mom), they just didn't have the patience (and assumed since I had a lot of hair that my hair could "take it" the crazy combing where they put their "back into it" and huge gobs of hair in the comb).

I've had stylists say this same thing to me. And its so not true. They look at my texture (4b/a) and the fact that is somewhat dense (I think I have "medium" density hair), and think my hair is "strong" and can "take it". :nono: Its the exact opposite, my strands are very fine/fragile and will snap off if you look at them wrong. But the thing is due to the density, its such a gradual progress, the damage would slowly sneak up on me and by then its too late.

luckiestdestiny

I've had stylists say this same thing to me. And its so not true. They look at my texture (4b/a) and the fact that is somewhat dense (I think I have "medium" density hair), and think my hair is "strong" and can "take it". :nono: Its the exact opposite, my strands are very fine/fragile and will snap off if you look at them wrong. But the thing is due to the density, its such a gradual progress, the damage would slowly sneak up on me and by then its too late.

I hear ya. That's why if I ever let any one do my hair, I make sure to tell them I'm (the saying) tenderheaded (even though I'm not) and will say "ouch!" and I will also ask if I can comb it if they lose their minds. If too much hair is in a comb...I'm watching. Because like you say it sneaks up on you. ONe minute your hair is full and even, then there's..parts that aren't (meanwhile hairstylist is asking what you did different lol!).

I usually do it myself but I have a couple people I trust with it (for the most part but I still watch them carefully

luckiestdestiny

Not quite waist length, but I wanted to share with you guys my youtube video of recently straightening my hair. I am still waiting for sales so that I can try Cassia to see if my hair feels more "durable" and "stronger".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSaQ_yy8x0M

Your avatar hair is really pretty.:yep:

I just purchased cassia online lol! I'm in a ps, but when I come out of it I'm going to use it. It wasn't on sale but I know that if I didn't have it laying around when I take down my protective style, I'll put it off over and over again. So I try to do things in advance.

I'm excited about it. Don't like the idea of necessarily changing my hair color (with henna) though I like the properties of it. THough I may just bite the bullet. My hair is so dark it will probably only show up i n sunlight anyways.

Vintagecoilylocks

Hello to all you fine/thin long haired ladies,

Just thought I would check in for some self inspiration. My crown and fringe hair is 4b fine, my next layer under is a sort of 4a/3c. These layers shink up to apl to bsl. Then I have a lower nape that is 3a. So if I ever wear mine out (which I don't) it really has a fine thin hemline. It doesn't help now that I have natural layering going on due to a prior shedding. My layers average about 6in. difference in length. In addition to that the bulk of each layer is really tapered after the shedding. But working on growing out the 4a layers. Still thin density and fine hair as always but will be glad when the hemline of each layer gets closer together. The bulk is slowly moving down. This photo was taken last feb 2011 its wet freshly combed. The last time my hair was loose. I wash and wear it in twists and braids and braided or twisted buns. My siggy was this year March. A loose bun right after washing. I use the Tightly Curly method now. I will load a photo of it loose from that day later.
I am lower TBL stretched in the lower nape layer. My crown I recently reported to have reached BCL of its longest hairs. It touches the stool I sit on, as a reference. I use two different leave in recipes for my different textures.
So keep the beautiful long fine/thin hair growing ladies. I really need the company.

Vintagecoilylocks

Here is my hair freshly braided. You can tell how thin my density is for i am hard pressed to get 18 braids. :ohwell: My daughter on the other hand gets 25 braids on one side of her head. And hers are larger than mine.:spinning:

carletta

no!!! they got me started and now i cant stop!!!

but on a serious my hair looks fuller than what it is. the other day when i had it flat ironed at work some girl said the blonde streak i put in was cute...i said that was my scalp. she promptly walked away lol

:lachen: :lachen::lachen: :lol:...... im in tha same boat chica...:lachen:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Yes, we thin and fine ladies can grow long hair too! I think we need to be attentive to manipulation and remember that protein can be more friend.

Vintagecoilylocks

Last year was my first time using mini braids. How many of you ladies use them and if so did you find that you had breakage. I ask because i liked them but had an awful feeling that it was too much hair surface exposed in the braided style. I could not sleep sometime thinking I was causing the bent exposed hair to be subjected to too much friction. It drove me crazy til i finally went to twists. But I braid my twists because its too long to have flying about. I am now in larger twists, about 8. But I have to retwist before and after my CW. What to do What to do. I wanted to sign up for the summer mini braids challenge again. :spinning:

Your thoughts on mini braids/twists and fine hair please.

Last edited:

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks -- I love your braids! How do you get the twists stretched? My hair is thin with the elasticity of a bungee cord! It only shows my length when its flat ironed.

I am in twists/braids always now. Then I gather the twists and divide them and braid them into two or three braids. After they are dry the next day they will hang pretty good. Last year was my first time trying mini braids or twist. It seems having them in small braids/twists alows them to stretch out better. It does seem to minimize tangles. In my siggy that hair is wet if I had left it hanging in the two braids it would have shrunk up but I rolled them in a bun and it keep them stretched. I did not do it for that purpose it is just that I always put my hair up some kind of way.
I am currently in 8 braids then I take the four on each side and braid them and wrap or bun them. When I take my hair out to detangle or wash it is farely staightened out with the curls on the end. I also use my oils or butters to seal the moisture.