TWA & Detangling

theeREALmccoy

Hey ladies!

So I've seen lots of you mention that you shingle your twa and/or detangle it with the denman and are able to achieve curl definition...My hair is mostly 4a and Idk if i'm doing something wrong, but whenever I detangle with my denman or a wide tooth comb, my hair just ends up being a big poofy afro with almost no curl definition. :nono:
My hair rarely tangles, I would just like better definition...I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get any better results!!!

Any suggestions? :yep:

TIA

Fhrizzball

what products do you use to detangle with and how small are your sections? Even though I don't have a twa I find that for the puffy sections of my hair I may have to use a bit of gel or smooth the hair so it clumps.

GlamaDiva

My last relaxer was in Feb and I BC-ed in Aug as well, so we may have close to the same length of hair. I just discovered how to create definition with the denman brush, however I don't use just the denman brush when doing it. What i do is I had my leave in condish and go through my hair with the denman brush in sections. when going through sections I kinda curl the denman brush up as i brush through (if that makes sense) and my curls up. But afterwards I had a styling agent (mostly aloe vera gel) and i smooth and rake through with my hands. This gives me bigger clumps.

theeREALmccoy

I tried on a small section of my hair..not very big at all. I had a bit of Giovanni direct leave in and I put a little gel...went over it with the denman but instead of clumping, it just turned out shrunken & frizzy.

I didn't think to try smoothing the section with my hand...i'll try that next time!

Evolving78

i never used the denman brush. i was always scared of that thing. i would just do a wash and go, run Fantasia Gel or Kid's Organic Detangling Lotion through my hair for my coils to clump together.

nysister

I don't really go in for definition because I love my pouf, but when I wash/condition my hair with Swastik Shikakai soap, and than use Profectiv Root Strengthener (also a detangler) it will define. You'll notice this more as it grows out though. When you put the profectiv in, coat it from top to bottom using small portions than use a blow dryer to just try it our a bit because it will leave your hair a white mess if not.

Tiye

Hey ladies!

So I've seen lots of you mention that you shingle your twa and/or detangle it with the denman and are able to achieve curl definition...My hair is mostly 4a and Idk if i'm doing something wrong, but whenever I detangle with my denman or a wide tooth comb, my hair just ends up being a big poofy afro with almost no curl definition. :nono:
My hair rarely tangles, I would just like better definition...I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get any better results!!!

Any suggestions? :yep:

TIA

If your hair doesn't tangle then you don't need to detangle. Just run a wide toothed comb through it or use your fingers then work in your curl product and then don't disturb it till it dries.

iri9109

My last relaxer was in Feb and I BC-ed in Aug as well, so we may have close to the same length of hair. I just discovered how to create definition with the denman brush, however I don't use just the denman brush when doing it. What i do is I had my leave in condish and go through my hair with the denman brush in sections. when going through sections I kinda curl the denman brush up as i brush through (if that makes sense) and my curls up. But afterwards I had a styling agent (mostly aloe vera gel) and i smooth and rake through with my hands. This gives me bigger clumps.

yup i find that i had the best curls from twisting/flipping my wrist as i ran the denman through the sections...i lost my denman though so i havent done it in a while and i dont have a twa anymore, but i might get another one to try on WnGs this summer since my hair will be longer...denmans give good definition, but also i got major shrinkage too.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I never used a brush for definition, only for smoothing (very gently) my hairline. I run small/thin sections of hair between my fingers while stretching/smooth the product through with my hands. It takes forever (which is why I rarely do it lol) but the curl definition is pretty decent. :yep: I find that detangling with my fingers lets me see what's going on (breakage vs shedding) and it's much gentler.

Another thing I've noticed is that finding the right product is good but tweaking it to suit YOU is EVERYTHING. For instance I like Olive Fantasia IC. It's pricier but it doesn't make me itch and it provides a soft firm hold. I've learned that to have waves and no frizz I have to spray the edges with water, then gel. When I use gel on dry edges (siggy pic) it has frizz AND virtually little to no waviness.

GlamaDiva

yup i find that i had the best curls from twisting/flipping my wrist as i ran the denman through the sections...i lost my denman though so i havent done it in a while and i dont have a twa anymore, but i might get another one to try on WnGs this summer since my hair will be longer...denmans give good definition, but also i got major shrinkage too.

Yes lots of shrinkage! that's why i go over it with my hands...to kinda elongate my curls

msdeevee

TherealMcCoy ..I'm having that same problem. I can't get definition for the life of me.

I BC'd back on Labor day because of damage and my hair has grown out about 2-3" so far so I'm going to wig it until Spring because my hair is at that in between length that's hard to deal with.

Your hair looks real nice in your siggy and avi though.