TWA Support Thread

I'm all late but here I am!

1. BC date -- Don't remember but chopped it BALD...again....I love my head

2. Hair type/ describe your hair -- 4B (newbies would say 4C) I have no curl pattern--just cottony fluff. My hair is very dry and brittle. Its about an 1 - 1.5 inches long when stretched.

3. Reggie/Products -- I don't do much to my hair. Shampoo and moisturize when needed, then throw my fav wig on. Products: Kyla's Ultimate Indulgence Hemp Shampoo Bar, Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme and Oyin's Hair Dew.

4. Goal(s) -- To not cut my hair again. This is chop number 11 I think....To grow to terminal length (but I can't wait to get to APL).

5. Current pic or pic of BC -- I'd prefer not to post a pic for now.

I'm all late but here I am!

1. BC date -- Don't remember but chopped it BALD...again....I love my head

2. Hair type/ describe your hair -- 4B (newbies would say 4C) I have no curl pattern--just cottony fluff. My hair is very dry and brittle. Its about an 1 - 1.5 inches long when stretched.

3. Reggie/Products -- I don't do much to my hair. Shampoo and moisturize when needed, then throw my fav wig on. Products: Kyla's Ultimate Indulgence Hemp Shampoo Bar, Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme and Oyin's Hair Dew.

4. Goal(s) -- To not cut my hair again. This is chop number 11 I think....To grow to terminal length (but I can't wait to get to APL).

5. Current pic or pic of BC -- I'd prefer not to post a pic for now.

Welcome. Really? It's chop #11? May I ask why you have chopped so often? When I was relaxed I probably chopped that often.

APrayer4Hair said:
Hello all!

Are there any other ladies out there currently rocking a TWA? I thought this thread would be useful for any other new naturals. I feel kinda alone because I'm the only natural head I know. Let's get together and support one another as our hair grows out!! :grouphug:

Please provide:

1. BC date

2. Hair type/ describe your hair

3. Reggie/Products

4. Goal(s)

Edited to add:
5. Current pic or pic of BC:gorgeous:

(if u think anything else should be added let me know. This is my first time starting this type of thread :blush:)

BC date : June 16 2012

Hair Type : 4a/4b

Reggie : cowash daily with tresemme naturals. Moisturize with tresemme naturals and seal with evoo (daily wng)

Goals : bsl by June 2013 (long shot?) Lol

ForumRunner_20120811_110833.jpg

I didn't make it through the cowashing everday piece I had planned. I was so tired last night that I refused to do it. This morning I am washing with Deva no poo and getting ready to DC with Deva Heaven in hair. I probably will just go back to my 3x a week cowash schedule.

I watched the GHE video. Think I understand a bit more. I am going to try a version of this but I'm only going to do it 30 minutes to an hour. I did learn some things though. I like the idea that you can put the scarf on first and then the plastic cap. I will try this. It may help me to do this longer without my scalp itching like crazy. I also found out it's ok for me to use water. My hair stays pretty dry so misting it will work.

I don't know about putting oil on my hair daily. My hair will be an oil mess by the 2nd day. :nono:

I think I will mimic a greenhouse by using my heat cap. Tonight I wet my hair with water and am sitting under my heat cap for 30 minutes to an hour.

my GHE went ok...I don't think my scalp like anything put directly on it or either I left it too long. Will they again tomorrow night.

I got my HQS order and I'm excited to start using my conditioning cleanser. Will probably DC tomorrow too.

faithVA said:
When I first started wearing my twa years ago, this old white guy was trying to ask me a question. He looked at my earrings and said excuse me ma'am (yeah i'm in the south), then he looked at my hair and said um, sir, then he looked at my breast and said ma'am :lachen: I was so tickled. He was trying to get it right but was so confused. :lol:

THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!! Hahahaha

Unless I want my twa to stay shrunken to my head, it still takes a lot of work :nono: I know I have a while but I am looking forward to twists again :yep: Even a puff would do right about now :lol:

I am NOT feeling this Giovanni Direct leave in :nono: this was my 1st day trying it and my haif feels dry as a bone! I will try again tomorrow and if that still doesn't work I will be making kimmaytube out of it

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];16611079]I am NOT feeling this Giovanni Direct leave in :nono: this was my 1st day trying it and my haif feels dry as a bone! I will try again tomorrow and if that still doesn't work I will be making kimmaytube out of it

:lol: I though it was just me. I bought it this week and my hair was really dry. I may try the Kimmay tube as well. But I think first I am going to apply it and then layer a heavier product on top of it to see how that works.

I mentioned doing the circular motion method on my hair this week. It didn't work out so well because I tried to use the palm of my hand like I saw in a yt video. Some do it with a brush but :nono: I'm too scared for that. Today i saw them do it with a sponge :look: They cut small circular holes in the sponge and then do the circular motion method.

I don't have any sponges and wasn't going out to get one. So I started looking through my stuff to see what I had and voila I found a circular, rubber scalp massager with little prongs on it. I tried doing the circular method with that and it started clumping my curls together and gave my hair some lift :yay:

It's not as good as what I saw on yt but for my hair its a big deal. It looks like it might work better on my hair after its dry and has finished shrinking. I am going to play around with it. But if this works then I have figured out what to do with my hair when I go on vacation :yay:

I have stupid hair. Stupid stupid stupid.

Even with gel, my hair won't stay in twists. I have retwisted these same sections eight times in twelve hours. They won't twirl at the end or anything. They're straight. And I hate them.
The 4b type (I think) is so well behaved and disciplined. The 4a is coming along nicely. The 4wtf type is making me want to chop and rock a baldy til I my kids put me in a old folks home

Stupid stupid hair

I have stupid hair. Stupid stupid stupid.

Even with gel, my hair won't stay in twists. I have retwisted these same sections eight times in twelve hours. They won't twirl at the end or anything. They're straight. And I hate them.
The 4b type (I think) is so well behaved and disciplined. The 4a is coming along nicely. The 4wtf type is making me want to chop and rock a baldy til I my kids put me in a old folks home

Stupid stupid hair

:bighug: What products have you used to twist with?

My circular motion texturizer came out even better today. Not sure exactly why. I misted my hair last night with water and baggied for an hour. Then I put on my bonnet. My hair was still damp this morning. I misted my hair with diluted conditioner and baggied for at least 30 minutes. I took off the baggy so my hair could dry some. I put sunflower/grapeseed oil on my hair. Then I used my massager to do the circular motion method. I think, key word think, I went counter clockwise this time. And I started to see bigger clumps come together. The funny thing is that I couldn't get my 4a hair in the front to clump :perplexed: But I can twist that section.

Doing it on dry hair seems to help. But I haven't quite figured out what products work the best. And I don't know if my hair grows 1/2" - 1" if I will even be able to do this. Saw a yt video about doing in on longer hair so will check that out later.

faithVA I'm rocking the same style today. I wanna see pitchas!!!!

Here's mine:

image-216099131.jpg

image-3162508687.jpg

Agreed on it not being as easy to do on longer hair. my front, middle is longer than the rest and it doesn't "twirl" as good...

image-1184508904.jpg

Attachments

• image-1183787953.jpg
    image-1183787953.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
APrayer4Hair, that is really cute. My hair doesn't look anything like that :lol:

Can't take pictures at work. I'm going to try to wash it tonight and do it again. I will definitely take pictures if it turns out right.

If I can find something with longer teeth/prongs then it will work.

This is what I'm using

show_image_in_imgtag.jpg

What are you using?

faithVA

I've used a couple different products. Jamaican mango and lime springing gel, DB Madagascar vanilla creme, ORS Smooth n hold pudding, and Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie. None of them are doing what I need. I am going to wash tonight or tomorrow and retwist with the DB in hopes that I get the same results I had before. This set of twists was done with the Jamaican gel. It dried my hair out pretty bad. So I redid them with the smoothie. It didn't help. My first set of twists were really soft yet they held together. I used the Madagascar vanilla on freshly DC'd hair

@faithVA

I've used a couple different products. Jamaican mango and lime springing gel, DB Madagascar vanilla creme, ORS Smooth n hold pudding, and Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie. None of them are doing what I need. I am going to wash tonight or tomorrow and retwist with the DB in hopes that I get the same results I had before. This set of twists was done with the Jamaican gel. It dried my hair out pretty bad. So I redid them with the smoothie. It didn't help. My first set of twists were really soft yet they held together. I used the Madagascar vanilla on freshly DC'd hair

:lol: I meant what are you using to clump your curls? Are you using your hand, a brush?

I haven't found the right products either. But as I try some I will let you know. Your hair looks easier to clump than mine.

Ok, here are my pictures from yesterday. I can't remember what products I used. Not sure why I didn't capture todays hair which came out better.

I only partially clump the curls because I think it looks less spacy this way. It's more like a knotty fro.

I think I threw a whole lot of different products in my hair trying to get some curls. But I used the scalp massager to get this.

TxFroP1 (640x458).jpg

TxFroP2 (640x507).jpg

1. BC date

05/05/12

2. Hair type/ describe your hair

3b'ish

3. Reggie/Products

Poo and Cond 1x per wk
Moisturize with either
HE HH, CC Milk, or CC HHB
Oil as needed
(evco/evoo mix w/EO)
Airdry

4. Goal(s)

To what ever length my hair looks best at

5. Current pic or pic of BC

BC

017.jpg

Current

_facebook_1888246688.jpg

I'm back from vacation. I was able to successful take care of my hair while away with water, conditioner, olive oil and my scalp massager. And I am gettting better at creating the texturized look with my scalp massager.

I am wondering though if I even need a leave-in for my hair or if water and oil are enough to keep my hair feeling nice and soft. I have a lot of leave-in products now so going to keep using them. But I think I am going to doctor the Kimmay Tube leave-in a bit to see if I can use them that way.

And I think my hair is growing. I should have taken a length start picture but I didn't. I believe my front was just touching the bridge of my nose when it was cut. Now I think it has passed that. I will take a picture tonight of the front and the sides so I can have it. This is only 17 days in, so I haven't lost too much time.

Back