Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

skraprchik

babylone09 said:
Count me in! I've been in twist since the 31st . Since I'm in the military I will be bunning or have my twist in a bun. The longest I will go with my hair out is 3 days. I try to dc and steam one a week and cowash at least once a week. While in twist I will do the above every two weeks and retwist. I try to keepy twist in for at least a month and in the last challenge I managed to keep them in for 2 months. These pics were taken at the end of march.

Nice growth!

Tibbar

@NappyNelle Thanks for including me in this challenge! I've been wearing twists pretty much every day since last August... :grin:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
My primary style is twists that I set on flexirods and then pin up, I've worn a few twist outs and a bun or two when I didn't feel like re-twisting after a wash.
What is your style maintenance regimen?
I usually wash once a week and deep condition. I've co-washed a few times but not regularly.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I have not relaxed my hair since October of 2010, but I also have not chopped off my last few inches of relaxed hair -- or made a firm decision about my hair plans
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
I am hoping that my hair will get fuller and healthier, length would be a plus :drunk:

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

I will restyle after 3 days max

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

pics below - - - - twist-out, curled and pinned up twists

Attachments

• P1020408.jpg
    P1020408.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P1020378.jpg
    P1020378.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Renewed1

Wearing a bun....messy...may do a curly bun, etc.

My co-workers are so use to seeing me wearing buns and the front of my hair is usually in a rodded curly look.

Diva_Esq

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning and twists
What is your style maintenance regimen? one week of wet bunning, 4-5 days in twists and 2-3 days in a twistout, cowash daily, straighten and trim once every 3-4 months
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural and loving it!
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? lots of retention & days without having to do my hair.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 usually
Include Starting Pics:

My fav bun:

faithVA

ok NappyNelle, you are making me put in small twists. And I'm trying your bantu knot thingee. My hair is still pretty short so I will see how it turns out.

I've only finished the front of my hair, so I will have to finish the rest tomorrow. I sure hope I can keep these for 2 weeks.

Nubenap22

faithVA said:
ok NappyNelle, you are making me put in small twists. And I'm trying your bantu knot thingee. My hair is still pretty short so I will see how it turns out.

I've only finished the front of my hair, so I will have to finish the rest tomorrow. I sure hope I can keep these for 2 weeks.

It should turn out pretty good I've done it before and our hair is about the same length. But what I did is sprayed it eu a lil water or scorn and then Bantu like 4 small ones together

MaraWithLove

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Two-strand twists, pinned-up twistouts and french braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash 2x a week, DC 1x a week, m&s on wash days, spritz hair & oil scalp and ends other days
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention and manageability
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Starting pic attached (admittedly this is just how I do my hair to stretch it before braiding/twisting smaller).

Attachments

• IMG_20120407_020020.jpg
    IMG_20120407_020020.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 61

Diva_Esq

@Diva_Esq That's a great bun!

kinkycurlygurl : Thanks. I slick it back while wet with my leave-ins in it, then secure a ponytail with a goody band, then I divide the pony into 2 sections, braid each section, squeeze excess water out of the braids with a tshirt, then I wrap the braids around each othwr and the base of the pony in different directions. Finally, I secure the ends by tucking them in and using 2 more goody bands to make sure it doesn't come down.

Last edited:

faithVA

It should turn out pretty good I've done it before and our hair is about the same length. But what I did is sprayed it eu a lil water or scorn and then Bantu like 4 small ones together

I haven't finished my head yet :look: and haven't taken out my knots. Spraying anything on my head is a disaster :lol: My twists will have that nice neat look and soon as I spray anything, it immediately starts turning into a ball of fuzz :nono: I am still working on how to moisturize my hair but keep it from going into frizz city. Frizz doesn't seem like it would be bad, but its the beginning of locs for me.

youwillrise

will probably start braiding in a couple hours. just tryna let my hair dry a little bit more. my hair feels sooo good right now, hydrated, lubricated, smooth & soft and i havent even moisturized yet. ive been so ultra happy with my hair lately. ((dreamy sigh))

i just hope i can get my braids to look decent. i suck at styling of any type...i just do it to protect my hair and deal with how lame it looks. haha

skraprchik

My mini-twists now:

and how I usually wear them:

2 minute undo without having to use a ponytail holder or other hair tie.

ParagonTresses

lomaxee said:
Does everyone do their own twists? If so, how long does it take?
A friend does mine and this last time it took her 5.5 hours. Is that excessive? My hair is about APL.

Takes me about 10 hours for mini twists, I'm not a fast twister and I take lots of breaks. I don't mind the time since I leave them in so long...

ParagonTresses

I'm on day 2 of installing a new set of mini twists...got all the perimeter done, have the middle still left to do...think I'll keep these in for 6 weeks this time...I'll post pics when I'm completely done.

jprayze

Well..just got my hair straightened at the Dominican salon and left it wrapped. Will wear it out tomorrow and Monday and back to buns on Tuesday.

faithVA

finally finished the twist. But I don't think I did the bantu thing right. My twists were sticking straight up in the air :nono:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Wahing, deep conditioning and braiding my hair tonight. I had it in twists for a week and didn't like it. the roots got too puffy and I couldnt cowash daily.

pics to follow tonight

youwillrise

So here are a couple of pictures...I always look mad in my pictures...I guess I'm just too focused.

Like I said before, my styling skills suck...I just do for the protection...ha

Attachments

• 2012-04-07 19.47.33.jpg
    2012-04-07 19.47.33.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012-04-07 16.20.24.jpg
    2012-04-07 16.20.24.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 42

ogmistress

So I updated my first post with the pics of my first blow out since I cut off my relaxed ends. My hair is now in 4 plaits. (2 in the front;2 in the back) I am planning o leaving them in until saturday, pending if I see my boyfriend.

Nightly routine- put a dab of leave-in and oil on the ends. depending on how I feel on the day, I might oil my scalp.

Tibbar

Welcome back @Tibbar! Are those beaded bobby pins in the front of your hair in the first photo? Lovely!

Thanks! I want to get some beaded/decorated bobby pins but these are actually tiny jaw clips made by Conair. (photo below)
I found them in a dollar store .... :ohwell:

When I first bought them I was afraid they might snag my hair but I placed them very lightly and I didn't notice any pulled hairs.

I am going to wear a twistout today for Easter and then I will be washing and overnight deep conditioning, loving this challenge because my hair is so easy to care for now -- thanks for keeping it up and I always love the photos you post of your twists, keep it up!! :grin:

Attachments

• 57136_ff_jawclips.jpg
    57136_ff_jawclips.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 16

faithVA

Oh no! LOL (Sorry) @faithVA Did you tuck the ends of the bantus?

Yes I did. I tried it again last night. And it is as I thought. My hair is still too short. I put in about 8 bantus. And this morning I have shirley temple curls all over my head. It would be realy cute if my hair reached past my ears. But at ear length :nono:, it doesn't look that fabulous.

But it's definitely a great technique that I will be using once my hair starts to hang past my shoulders. I got really nice curls without the rollers. :yep:

I am trying to straighten my twist out now by pulling them back with a barrette.