Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinkycurlygurl

I tried a new braided style today. I think my braid looked way bulky, next time I try this one I'll do an inverted braid.

Here's the tutorial:

http://youtu.be/OMyAfOhvYPQ

My take:

7511085174_ac6ea0a368_m.jpg

7511063868_c7255f93e2_m.jpg

As you can see I was crazy frizzy today. It was 95 degrees with high humidity. The AC is on the fritz in my office. I don't even try loose styles in this kind of weather.

cnap

MeowMix since they are so small it takes me about 3 days, and I take ALOT of breaks.

a pic of my mini twist braidout

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm loving all of these hair photos! I am also ready to wash and deep condition. I miss my mini-twists, so those will be my next style.

Let me find some movies to DVR and watch during that twisting session... :lol:

ETA: I wore a loose top knot today. I think it looked cute (read: big enough for my head) since my hair was still kind of "smooth" from flat ironing last week.

Last edited:

-PYT

bajandoc86 Yes, hunty. You did that twistout, yes gawd! /funkydineva

I love how we're all getting in the mood for mini twists lol I blame the heat. Can't wait to see pics ladies! This challenge is off to a great start.

cenette beautiful hair! Do you use any products when you twist? What's your method :drunk:

NappyNelle

Today's top knot without smoothing my edges and my brother bothering me to see the dangle thingy. I'm really working to get my edges to grow back with sulfur and castor oil. These medications are rough on my edges! :spinning:

I promise I will try to do better tomorrow. :giggle:

*Waits for cenette's regimen and method post*

Last edited:

Victoria44

Finally finished the twists. Took about three days with lots of breaks and I plan to leave them in for three weeks. The ends are always frizzy and dry the first week

Attachments

• image-3609632286.jpg
    image-3609632286.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-80040314.jpg
    image-80040314.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63

Ronnieaj

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists.
What is your style maintenance regimen? I wash and DC once a week. I remove and re-do my twists every 3 weeks, which works very well for my hair. I'm trying out doing a protein treatment every six weeks, and do a dusting once a quarter.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? More length and thickness, which is what I've been experiencing thus far.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will probably not wear it out at all, but if I do it'll be 2 days.
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I'm doing a protein treatment and twisting this weekend, so I'll upload a picture from my phone then :yep:.

MsDee14

I'm still in the same twists I did last Saturday. I don't really like them, hence no pics. I will be taking them out next weekend and doing large twists for a week. The following week I will do smaller twists that I will keep in for 3 weeks.
Will def show pics then.

Loving the hair, ladies!!

nickmack

** warning, this is kind of long...and kind of rambling... **

So, I VERY NEARLY gave up on this challenge; my scalp + summer heat = flare up of my seborrheic dermatitis (learn about this skin condition here). Now, before you think 'ohh, it's just a little itchy scalp!' let me just pause you right there. Like last summer, my hair was falling out - SIGH. At first I thought it was my alopecia returning (I have alopecia areata on one side of my head, but since going natural it's growing back in REALLY well) but after stopping for a minute, I realised the same thing happened to me last summer and it was just my SD (which I've had since I was a teenager).

Anyhoo, I threw in a set of twists with braided ends a few days ago...my scalp was not having it and demanded to be washed. Washed my hair, the twists shrunk and started meshing - I had to take it down or else I'd end up in problems.

I was annoyed, to say the least and THIS close to going to a salon and having my hair done. After washing my hair and pulling out the shunken/enmeshed twists, I threw in a set of big, fat plaits. You know the kind your mom used to do before you go to bed? LOL.

So, teetering on the brink of giving up and/or shaving off my hair in exasperation, I went back to the tutorial I posted on page 6 (see here) and yesterday, after watching 2.5 (yes, 2-and-a-half, lol, I caught one late!) episodes of Burn Notice, I ended up with a REALLY nice set of semi-mini twists. I'll edit this post later to show you the pics. I'm quite proud of myself - I followed the instructions from the YouTube video and the website that the YT'er posted in her video description box - and my twists don't look busted OR scalpy! In fact, they look a little like this:

(side note: I know that's a twist-out, but I fancy my hair looks a little like that!)

WHEW. This was one LONG post. But I really wanted to tell NappyNelle thanks for this challenge, to thank SimJam for her recommendations and everyone here for their support and advice AND to encourage other NL participants/lurkers - we can do it. I'm now more determined than ever to stick this through. :)

Tibbar

I have my hair in about six enormous (really bad looking) loose twists.
I need to wash and deep condition my hair and put in some better looking twists, but it is sooooo hot and I am sooooo unmotivated right now...

I will probably wash and deep condition it and put these big stupid loose twists right back in and save the serious twists for another, better day when I am feeling less lazy --- I mean hot...:ohwell:

-PYT

Going to co-wash and re-do my flat twists tonight. They got so many compliments, I was surprised.

Ronnieaj

As promised, here is my starting picture. I apologize if it comes out sideways, I have no clue how to fix it.

Attachments

• image-2979120131.jpg
    image-2979120131.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 47

NappyNelle

nickmack What an inspiring post!! I don't have SD, but I do understand how skin and scalp conditions can really affect our sense of beauty and self-worth. I'm glad you were able to cleanse your scalp AND find a style that helps you keep your hair despite Alopecia. :clap:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
ummm does this hairstyle count as a bun??
this was yesterday, cowash, leave-in, coconut oil, gelled that **** down, twisted it and clipped it up.
didn't even know my hair could do this.:spinning:

if this is okay for the challenge, i will be wearing this sucka into the ground.:look:

ETA: oh so i can't say moofo?? lol

-PYT

Rocky91 I approve! I wish my hair could do that! The alligator clip would break into small particles :sad:

Ronnieaj love your twists! They are not too mini, but not too small either!

jprayze

NappyNelle thanks for including me in the new session. So I'm back and loving my high bun. I will post my answers later. This was a pic at the beach yesterday.
image-3975883273.jpg

Last edited:

jprayze

[*]What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning. Would like to try twists or braids during this challenge.
[*]What is your style maintenance regimen? Also on a no heat challenge so will be doing twist and braid outs and roller sets to stretch. Dry and wet buns
[*]Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
[*]What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
[*]After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
[*]Include Starting Pic.
Will post a pic of my starting length maybe tomorrow...

MeowMix

Hey everybody. nickmack, likeNappyNelle said thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes dealing with hair can be hard enough on it's own without the added complication of being uncomfortable. Your afro puff snaps insired to me to post this weeks pictures. I did this before putting my hair back in braids. I may post a couple of more like these in this challenge to see how my hair is doing.

Rocky91. Co-signing with bajandoc86 and -PYT Gorgeous, WEAR IT.

jprayze, wow, that's a bun:)

Thanks ladies for answering my question about your twists. That's a hairstyle that can keep you in shape;)

Attachments

• 0707cottonballback.jpg
    0707cottonballback.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 0707cottonballside.jpg
    0707cottonballside.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

-PYT

Welp, co-washed and re-twisted like I said :yep: Twisting on damp hair made them much neater. prolly try n keep them for another week.

Tibbar

Welp, co-washed and re-twisted like I said :yep: Twisting on damp hair made them much neater. prolly try n keep them for another week.

-PYT You did these on yourself?!? So neat! How long did it take to do these?
I really like the way they look... I can just barely do simple, individual two strand twists on myself ... (And I have been doing my own twists for almost a year-- my skills are not progressing :ohwell:)

nickmack

Hey everybody. nickmack, likeNappyNelle said thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes dealing with hair can be hard enough on it's own without the added complication of being uncomfortable. Your afro puff snaps insired to me to post this weeks pictures. I did this before putting my hair back in braids. I may post a couple of more like these in this challenge to see how my hair is doing.

Rocky91. Co-signing with bajandoc86 and -PYT Gorgeous, WEAR IT.

jprayze, wow, that's a bun:)

Thanks ladies for answering my question about your twists. That's a hairstyle that can keep you in shape;)

MeowMix you're SO welcome! It's funny, the 2nd pic you posted made me stop and do a triple-take! You look like we could be kin! :grin: I'm glad you felt inspired by my story - this challenge is forcing me to really realign the way I think about and approach my hair :) Your hair looks thick and yummy! I'm just about able to get my hair into two afro puffs with minimal stretching, hopefully by the end of August (or earlier!) I can do it!

MeowMix

nickmack. Hey. Thanks for the compliment. Totally hear you about realigning the approach to hair. Look how long I've been on this board and I'm at SL? This year I'm trying to focus on styling more and get past my length hang up.

LOL we could be kin. Our great great great grandmamas could have come from the same village.

-PYT co-signing with Tibbar. VERY nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.