Twisting as a PS--Some Questions

Queen_Earth

Well previously I thought I could NEVER rock twist because I don't have very much hair (it's either thin, or I dont have much of it-I can't tell) and I tried the style once at a salon while transitioning and HATED it but last night I decided to do individual twists (about 35-40) under my wig instead of cornrowed two-strand twist...and it came out MUCH BETTER than I ever expected! I can even get it into a pretty nice bun so I decided to rock this look for a while as my PS instead of the wig (I have NEVER been able to get my ahir to cooperate into a bun before these twists). I acknolwedge that I need a serious trim (2-3 inches) but may notbe able to get one until June. I have a few questions for those that regularly rock twists as their protective style:

1. How long do you leave your individual twist in before taking them out and redoing them?

2. Can you wash and DC your hair while it is in the individual twist?

3. How often do you moisturize the twists (including the ends)?

4. What do you use to moisturize the twists (including ends) and does that affect how often you have to wash them?

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists>

6. Do you experience any breakage in twists/ twisted buns? What do you do to avoid it?

Thank y'all in advance for all of your help!

Platinum

:bump:

Have you checked the Twisting for Growth thread? There may be some answers to your questions in that thread. I worn Senegalese Twists as a PS. These were done with synthetic hair. I cowashed 2-3 times a week, DC'd when I cowashed, and used Worlds of Curls moisturizer spray with Surge 14 (for a daily moisturizer and a shot of protein). Every 2 weeks, I would use a baking soda and water solution (about 2 Tbsp of baking soda for 32 oz of water) to clarify and remove product build-up.

My Senegalese Twists last about 2-3 months.

mscocoface

There are a lot of threads you can pull this information from.

I would just be mindful of what works for others may or may not work for you, so there may be some trial and error at first.

But to answer your questions based on my experience.

1. How long do you leave your individual twist in before taking them out and redoing them? I can go a week to two weeks as long as I keep them moisturized and oil the last 2-3 inches of my ends

2. Can you wash and DC your hair while it is in the individual twist? I only cowash or do a water rinse never DC with them in.

3. How often do you moisturize the twists (including the ends)? Twice daily even if it is just water. I have serious shrinkage issues so when I do this at night I have to be sure to braid all of my twists to make sure they stay elongated or I will have some seriously short twsits in the morning.

4. What do you use to moisturize the twists (including ends) and does that affect how often you have to wash them? It has varied, I have created my own spritzes or used Hairveda products. Of late I have been using the Care Free Curl Gold Activator but not to the point of saturating, I want them to just feel soft but not wet all day. Also I will use an oil like Jojoba, olive or coconut on the ends. I try not to put a lot of product in them or then will feel gunkie (is that even a word? Mercy)

Not using so much and cowashing at least once a week.

6. Do you experience any breakage in twists/ twisted buns? What do you do to avoid it? None at all. I have just started putting up my hair in different styles because I now have the length.

Hope this helps.

Miss AJ

1. How long do you leave your individual twist in before taking them out and redoing them? The longest I can go with one set of twists is 1 week.

2. Can you wash and DC your hair while it is in the individual twist? You can and I've done it before and gotten an extra week out of a set but I like washing my loose hair, I feel like it's really getting clean that way. My twists like to have group hugs when I wash them and I have to be extremely careful when washing and I can never focus on getting my scalp clean so I don't wash my twists.

3. How often do you moisturize the twists (including the ends)? I spritz my twists daily with a leave-in/oil/water mix and if I'm really feeling it i'll baggy them for a few hours or overnight.

4. What do you use to moisturize the twists (including ends) and does that affect how often you have to wash them? As I'm twisting I use BB Mayonnaise and Honey hair strengthener and a little Fantasia gel. Any moisture after that comes from my spritz.0

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists> I tend to be heavy handed with products so I try my best to ease up when I'm twisting and my spritz is mostly water to prevent scalp buildup before I'm ready to re-wash.

6. Do you experience any breakage in twists/ twisted buns? What do you do to avoid it? The only time I ever got any type of breakage with twists was when I was putting rubber bands on the ends. I was constantly playing with my ends and the rubber bands were ripping some hair out too. I re-did my twists last night and did not use rubber bands and that keeps me from playing with my ends because I don't want to unravel them.

Thank y'all in advance for all of your help!
[/QUOTE]

Leeda.the.Paladin

1. How long do you leave your individual twist in before taking them out and redoing them?
The longest I've kept some in was 2 weeks, and then one week with a twist out.

Yes! Twists are my swimming hairstyle, so I have to wash my hair in them. I have DC'd my hair while in twists, but not regularly

As needed. Usually if I'm washing them alot I don't need to do anything extra, all the conditioner keeps them pretty moisturized. If they're being kept dry, then I have to use a spritz.

4. What do you use to moisturize the twists (including ends) and does that affect how often you have to wash them?
I just use a spritz (like Frank Juice). Sometimes twists done on dry hair will get a little frizzy when using a spritz. If I have a lot of moisture in my hair when I do the twists, then I can usually go 3-4 days without having to remoisturize.

Don't really have this problem. I guess that may be because I keep my twists tied down with a scarf whenever I'm not out somewhere. This keeps them from getting ratty from moving around too much. Sometimes, if I use something with shea butter, it takes a while for it sink in. The scarf also helps it to sink in better.

6. Do you experience any breakage in twists/ twisted buns? What do you do to avoid it?
Never experienced breakage

Queen_Earth

Thanks guys!! I REALLY appreciate it! I know that everything doesn't work for everyone but I am glad I asked questions before I got too far into this cause I was really thinking I could wear these twists for a least a month because it took two hours to do so I am thinking it must take awhile to take out too and I couldn't imagine people repeating that process every week; but I was really wrong! In the interim I will be spritzing with my Juice and Berries and running my Jane Carter through them daily and continuing to sleep in my satin bonnet...THANKS AGAIN!

Nonie

I usually leave them on for a long time, redoing one at a time as I watch TV. How long before I redo, depends on how untidy they get. Because I twist each strand upon it's axis before wrapping it around the other, my twists hold well. These are 4 weeks old and have been through 8 washes:

I do. I wash/condition/ACV rinse twice a week. Every other wash includes a DC instead of just regular conditioning.

:perplexed
I don't. I just CW in between washes if my hair feels dry...or in order to style them as I find them easier to stretch when damp and also drip drying makes them hang straight, so if I plan on wearing them down, I CW and let them drip dry. So for me, frequent washing is how I moisturize them.

N/A

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists?

Not using products and the frequent washing keeps my hair pretty clean and the strands from clumping. You can see how easily they separate in this pic:

I baggy every night before bed or under a headwrap when I wear one so that keeps lint out as well.

No I don't experience any breakage in twists. I don't really do anything. Because my hair is in twists, there's hardly any manipulation. My twisting method also makes undoing them and finger combing easy so that the strands stay separated and therefore there's never a need to detangle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

bablou00

-It just depends. I can wear small two strand twist up to 4-5wks (with frizz).

-I wash my shampoo/condition/and DC my hair while in twist

-The first two days I dont moisturize but after that I do daily with a Shea butter mix or Qhements

-Shea butter mix, qhements, coconut oil, and/or conditioner

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists
-Wash my hair daily and retwist twist if they need to be.

- I havent experienced any breakage. I dont pull my hair back tight and I dont use heat when in twist. I think washing daily has helped my hair and keeping the twisted has really helped to keep my fingers out of it and me not pulling my hair out.

Queen_Earth

Thank y'all for responding with some options for wearing the twists longer I really appreciate it!!

@Nonie I viewed your videos and I am not clear on one thing; are you twisting each twist and then twisting both twist together or are you like finger rolling each section and then twisting the finger roles?

jennboo

-About 5 weeks

- Yup, this is my method of choice.

-I spray water on them daily and add a bit of jojoba oil to seal.

-I moisturize with water and seal with jojoba oil.Because i use so little product, i don't have buildup and can go longer without washing.

-about every two weeks i clean my scalp with a cotton round dipped in witch hazel. I dont get dirt/product clumps in the length of the twist.

-Nope, no breakage

This is my signature style. This pic was taken months ago, been too lazy to take some current ones.

Shot with DSC-W50 at 2009-12-16

Ms Lala

2-3 weeks, the longest I've left them in is 4 weeks.

Yup, I tend to cowash more than shampoo when my hair is twisted though, or I rinse w/a diluted poo. I try not to rough my hair up to much so they don't get too frizzy.

It depends on the season. I have to moisturize almost daily in the winter. I can go 2-3 days in warmer months.

Right now I'm using Taliah Waajid Mist and I seal w/shea butter.

I haven't really had this issue. I think using natural products and rinsing my twists helps prevent this.

Not while wearing twists but if I handle them roughly while taking them a loose I can get breakage.

Nonie

Thank y'all for responding with some options for wearing the twists longer I really appreciate it!!

@Nonie I viewed your videos and I am not clear on one thing; are you twisting each twist and then twisting both twist together or are you like finger rolling each section and then twisting the finger roles?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between finger rolling and twisting. I would use the words interchangeably. I use my fingers to twist each strand by rolling each one separately but in the same direction, then wrap them in the opposite direction:

I tried to show this in this slow vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

And here you see it at normal speed once you get the hang of it.

Mook's Hair has a better video that shows how she does this too but she was doing it with extensions.

Creatividual

I'm not sure I understand the difference between finger rolling and twisting. I would use the words interchangeably. I use my fingers to twist each strand by rolling each one separately but in the same direction, then wrap them in the opposite direction:

I tried to show this in this slow vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

And here you see it at normal speed once you get the hang of it.

Mook's Hair has a better video that shows how she does this too but she was doing it with extensions.

Very cool. I'm going to try twisting my hair this way next time. :yep:

Lola Laughs

I usually leave them on for a long time, redoing one at a time as I watch TV. How long before I redo, depends on how untidy they get. Because I twist each strand upon it's axis before wrapping it around the other, my twists hold well. These are 4 weeks old and have been through 8 washes:

I do. I wash/condition/ACV rinse twice a week. Every other wash includes a DC instead of just regular conditioning.

:perplexed I don't. I just CW in between washes if my hair feels dry...or in order to style them as I find them easier to stretch when damp and also drip drying makes them hang straight, so if I plan on wearing them down, I CW and let them drip dry. So for me, frequent washing is how I moisturize them.

N/A

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists?

Not using products and the frequent washing keeps my hair pretty clean and the strands from clumping. You can see how easily they separate in this pic:

I baggy every night before bed or under a headwrap when I wear one so that keeps lint out as well.

No I don't experience any breakage in twists. I don't really do anything. Because my hair is in twists, there's hardly any manipulation. My twisting method also makes undoing them and finger combing easy so that the strands stay separated and therefore there's never a need to detangle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

Nonie, this is extremely helpful. Do you twist on wet or dry (air dry or blow dry) hair?

Nonie

Nonie, this is extremely helpful. Do you twist on wet or dry (air dry or blow dry) hair?

I twist on dry, usually stretched, hair. It has to be stretched because if my hair is not already in microbraids or in twists, I usually wash it in big plaits, and I do not undo the plaits till my hair is completely air-dried. In other words, I never let my hair dry without being stretched in some style. So once my hair has air-dried in big plaits, I undo with fingers, one plait at a time, then finger part it into the size of twists I want and twist till all that hair is done, then move on to the next plait section.

After twisting dry hair, my twists look skinny and wobbly and the ends don't look so hawt: they look frayed and just somewhat untidy. However, I fix that by immediately wetting my twists (usually I do a CW), and then let my hair drip-dry with a towel draped around my shoulders. Doing this has the following benefits (Pics at the bottom hopefully help clarify what I mean):

• My twists straighten up and look more uniform/tidy (Pic 1);
  • The ends of the twists shrink up and become coily and compact (Pic 2);
  • The twists fatten up a little so they don't look so sparse and my head so scalp-y (Pic 1) (And with subsequent washes, the twists get fatter (Pic 3))
  • Because I don't use any products on my hair, CWing provides moisture for my hair;
  • When the twists shrink from the wash, they also become heavier so that they hang better if I want to wear them down (Pic 4);
  • Even if not wearing the twists down, they are easier to work with and style when damp so if I don't need them to hang down, I will towel dry and then style them in a kind of updo while damp (Example in Pic 5). Working with them damp means I don't have to pull on my hair to get the twists to do what I want, so no headaches. :)
Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Chameleonchick

two weeks
Yes daily if I choose.
Twice daily by spritz.
Answered above, and no doesn't affect anything my spritzes are light.
Haven't left them in long enough to experience this.
No breakage I love twists.(Even wtih my extension twists there is no breakage)

Lola Laughs

I twist on dry, usually stretched, hair. It has to be stretched because if my hair is not already in microbraids or in twists, I usually wash it in big plaits, and I do not undo the plaits till my hair is completely air-dried. In other words, I never let my hair dry without being stretched in some style. So once my hair has air-dried in big plaits, I undo with fingers, one plait at a time, then finger part it into the size of twists I want and twist till all that hair is done, then move on to the next plait section.

After twisting dry hair, my twists look skinny and wobbly and the ends don't look so hawt: they look frayed and just somewhat untidy. However, I fix that by immediately wetting my twists (usually I do a CW), and then let my hair drip-dry with a towel draped around my shoulders. Doing this has the following benefits (Pics at the bottom hopefully help clarify what I mean):

• My twists straighten up and look more uniform/tidy (Pic 1);
  • The ends of the twists shrink up and become coily and compact (Pic 2);
  • The twists fatten up a little so they don't look so sparse and my head so scalp-y (Pic 1) (And with subsequent washes, the twists get fatter (Pic 3))
  • Because I don't use any products on my hair, CWing provides moisture for my hair;
  • When the twists shrink from the wash, they also become heavier so that they hang better if I want to wear them down (Pic 4);
  • Even if not wearing the twists down, they are easier to work with and style when damp so if I don't need them to hang down, I will towel dry and then style them in a kind of updo while damp (Example in Pic 5). Working with them damp means I don't have to pull on my hair to get the twists to do what I want, so no headaches. :)

I will def be trying you method, very helpful--thx!!

loolalooh

1. How long do you leave your individual twist in before taking them out and redoing them? 3-4 weeks. I ONLY redo the edges biweekly.

2. Can you wash and DC your hair while it is in the individual twist? Yes. I do this biweekly.

3. How often do you moisturize the twists (including the ends)? weekly.

4. What do you use to moisturize the twists (including ends) and does that affect how often you have to wash them? Water spritz and whipped shea butter (shea, coconut oil, avocado oil).

5. What do you do to prevent dirt/product clumps in your twists> Use product minimally. Use weekly instead of daily.

6. Do you experience any breakage in twists/ twisted buns? What do you do to avoid it? Nope. I pin my hair up for the day, then let it down and in a satin bonnet for the night. That's it.

Queen_Earth

Thank you all for all of your help!!! I am really feeling this easy, protective style so I think I will rock with it for a while!! I am going to try your method Nonie!! The pictures were sooooo helpful! I was trying to figure out if each of your twist were made up of two smaller two strand twist or were they just made up of single twists! LOL!! I am confusing myself! But the picture and diagram really helped! I am