Twistout vs Braidout, which achieves a bigger look? *pics for comparison*

Kneechay

Sorry if this has already been asked on this forum, but I couldn't find the specific answer to this question.

So I just learned to cornrow and I am going into a sew in next week but I've been wanting to do a braid out since forever and I figured I'd rock it a couple days before my hair goes into hiding.

I have a friend whose braidouts come out looking so full and nice, and I want to replicate it. I've gotten a decently full look from twistouts, but I have this feeling a braid out would look so much bigger & I like big hair. So to all you guys who do this style, what method achieves a bigger look, and what technique lends to the look? Should I do it on damp/wet or dry hair? What specifically should I do? I'll include pics.

I'm asking because it's easier for me to do twistouts, but can a twistout be made bigger? I just don't think mine have that "big" look. Her hair is about APL, so I don't know if its a length or a thinkness thing...someone help me out here. Or does it have that 'look' and I'm just tripping?

my friend's

Mine

please help because I plan to do this today...

ETA: I also do my twistouts on moisturized/oiled wet hair. That make a difference?

SouthernBeauty

Shoot both of them look great... I cant help you babe!!!
ETA: I do know that my twistout looks fuller and longer when my hair is almost dry!

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Your friend's braidout and your twistout both look nice! :yep:

The less twists or braids that you do on your head, the bigger and fuller your twistout or braidout will be. I noticed this with my own hair. If I do a bunch of small twists or braids, then unravel, my hair looks puny or anorexic. I would have to do some major fluffing to get it big. But when I do like 6-8 twists or braids, my twistout or braidout is bigger and fuller. Hope that helps.

Vonnieluvs08

I agree when I want big hair I do less twists. I haven't master big braid outs yet, they come out looking crazy.

For me 9-12 big twists (I like 3 strand twists) that I let dry completely give me a nice look. Body and definition. I can only work on my hair when its wet.

kandiekj100

I live in Florida, so it gets humid here, so I don't know how effective it would be in Texas. Something that helps expand my hair is spraying my hair with water (there is oil in the spray bottle too). Not dowsing (sp?) it, but a light mist. As it dries, it gets a bigger.

gimbap

My braidouts always look bigger and just better, period, than my twist outs. I don't cornrow though. I make about 16 braids and leave the ends loose/curly.

loolalooh

You both look great!

Braidouts instead of twists.
Cosign on fewer twists/braids.
Doing them on semi-damp/dry hair makes it bigger too, but it won't last as long.

cutiepiebabygirl

This maybe a big no-no for some people...but for me this has worked. First I make sure I'm using a good moisturizing leave in and serum (to prevent frizz). I do no more than 6 plaits / twists on wet hair...most of the time I only do 4 (I'm lazy).

I twist/braid my hair and when my hair is slightly damp, I unravel my twists...(this is the big no no I was talking about!) and let my hair air dry.

I get so much volume aka big hair. My hair is never frizzy..I just make sure that I don't fluff my unraveled twists/braids.

HTH and makes sense!

Last edited:

diva24

For me, The less braids I use the more volume. The wetter my set the less volume. The more basic my set it the bigger it is (low amount of leave in, only 1 leave in, etc). I get better definition with twist outs than I do with braid outs (I theorize that it requires less manipulation when taking them out so it doesnt frizz as much and is less fluffy.) Good luck!

Barbie83

I would think a twistout would yield bigger results since ur using bigger chunks of hair. How many twists are u making?

Also, this may not be the healthiest tip, but a twistout done on freshly blowdried hair (use mousse on the dry hair and leave twists in for about 2 hrs) gives me THE biggest, THE most luscious, THE fluffiest twistout! :yep: :yep: :lick: its my hands down favorite way to wear a twistout.

Kneechay

thanks to all the kind words in this post, I really appreciate it. I think Im going to try a braid out on damp to dry hair and see how it turns out. I really want the big hair look and mine doesn't really achieve that the way I do it, and I think it's because I do the flat twists (two strand) so small, in my attempt to make them look more natural. I'm going to try gabbanagirl's method and see if that works. Thanks all!

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I would think a twistout would yield bigger results since ur using bigger chunks of hair. How many twists are u making?

Also, this may not be the healthiest tip, but a twistout done on freshly blowdried hair (use mousse on the dry hair and leave twists in for about 2 hrs) gives me THE biggest, THE most luscious, THE fluffiest twistout! :yep: :yep: :lick: its my hands down favorite way to wear a twistout.

Same here. I also get better results if I do a twist out on dry hair with just some moisturizer.

Ms Lala

My braidouts typically look crazy. For a big twist out less twists and dryer hair=bigger. My siggy pic is actually an old twist out. It was super big.

Mook's hair

You both look great!

Braidouts instead of twists.
Cosign on fewer twists/braids.
Doing them on semi-damp/dry hair makes it bigger too, but it won't last as long.
Agree, and to make it even bigger take a long rattail comb and raise the roots all over. Jsus stick it into your hair very close to your scalp and pull up about 2 inches all over. it'll be big & the curl definition will stay in tact.

westNDNbeauty

When I twist n' curl on wet hair it is definitely immediately bigger than my braidn n' curls.

I usually separate each twist 4 times after I pull them apart with results in huge hair, but does not last as long as my braid n' curls.

glamazon386

It depends on a variety of things but I do think braids stretch the hair more than twists. I can never get my hair to look the same twice.

jwhitley6

Unfortunately, I think your friend's hair is thicker than yours and it looks like you have layers (I could be wrong). I agree with everyone the fewer braids/twists is a good start...and try fluffing it up a bit, especially at the roots. I don't like super-defined braidouts. Good luck!

Kneechay

Unfortunately, I think your friend's hair is thicker than yours and it looks like you have layers (I could be wrong). I agree with everyone the fewer braids/twists is a good start...and try fluffing it up a bit, especially at the roots. I don't like super-defined braidouts. Good luck!

Hey, I think you're right about the thickness and I have some layers, but not that much though, definitely not more than her. I tried a cornrow braid out and it looked better, how I wanted it, and I tried it on damper hair but because I just learned to cornrow it seemed to take forever. I am going to try flat twisting on semi dry hair and see how it turns out. Thanks you guys, I'm sooo happy i asked here and you guys gave some great responses