Type 4 with APL and Beyond..Post Your Regimen plesase

An_gell

Hi Ladies!! Please forgive me if this is duplicate thread, but I know as our hair gets longer some of your regimen usually changes. This seems to be the case with me, accept mine is getting so thick, I am already afraid of how I'm going to handle it when I finally reach armpit but I'm excited at the same time.

Also there are probably some newbies that could use this information so I figured it would be a good idea to start a new fresh thread..Please use the format below and add as much information as you would like. Thanks sooo much for your time!!

Hair Type:

Wash: (how often you wash/cowash, products used)

Detangle: (how often and what do you use products and tools)

Protective Styles:

What's aided in your growth:

Nonie

Hair Type: 4B

I wash twice a week. Shampoo with any moisturizing shampoo, preferably gel-like ones (eg Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Giovanni 50:50, etc) because I love to focus on cleaning my scalp and leaving it product-free and I find creamy ones feel like they leave a coating . Condition with any moisturizing conditioner (Aussie Deee...p, Nourish Spa etc) during each wash and DC with a reconstructor (eg Emergencee, AO GPB) on one of the two weekly washes. (When I use Emergencee, I do two shampoos. One with a gel shampoo to clean my scalp and hair before the DC. Then another shampoo after the reconstructor but this time I focus on my hair not scalp and I do use a creamy shampoo (Therappe) since I'm not putting it on my scalp and massaging it in but on the hair). I do an ACV rinse at the end of each wash.

Detangle: (how often and what do you use products and tools) I don't let my hair get tangled so I don't usually detangle. I keep my hair twisted and finger comb when I redo a twist to redo it again. Keeping my hair "locked" in twists ensures tangles never enter my world.

Protective Styles: Ermm...what are those? :lol: I try to PS but fail miserably coz I can't stick to it. But when I've done them, this updo is probably the most protected my ends have been:

I recently started applying S Curl to my ends to "seal" (another new protective feature) but I will lie if I say I'm consistent. I loathe product in my hair. So TBH, the most protection my hair gets is when I wear hats or wraps and keep my bare hair in a baggy.

What's aided in your growth: Low manipulation by keeping hair in micro-braids that I do on my own and wear for over a year, redoing one at a time as needed. By leaving my hair alone in extension braids I went from this in Feb 2007:

to this in March 2010:

Last edited:

Chevelure618

Hair Type: 4ab - 4b midcrown

Wash: (how often you wash/cowash, products used) wash 2-3 times per week; 1 DC per week with Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner. When my hair doesn't need protein I use ORS Replenishing or Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment. Sometimes use Wen when I ONLY need moisture. I do Nexxus Emergencee treatment every 6 weeks (I can't take the smell of Aphogee 2 step anymore) I use Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer on my new growth (just melts it away) and on my ends.

I have in my rotation Lacio, Lacio. The Aphogee Line and Chi Silk Infusion when I RARELY flat iron.

Detangle: I don't always need a detangler, but when I do, the Mane and Tail works just fine. I just tried Silken Child and it works too, but smells like a children's product.

Protective Styles: French braid, bun, pony with scrunchy only. pony with clip turned under

Warm Extra Virgin Coconut Oil scalp massages.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Hair Type: 4a/b natural hair (current length: APL, almost BSL)

Wash (how often you wash/cowash, products used): I wash my hair once a month - yes you're reading this correctly - and I never cowash (my hair hates it). I usually use CON green or red label or sometimes I use the Ouidad shampoos. I normally wash my hair in twists (started doing this last year) but thursday I washed my hair in its loose state again and it felt great, I might start doing that again. I also put DC on my hair while in twists and then sit under the hair dryer (with a bonnet on) for 45min.

Detangle (how often and what do you use products and tools): I detangle my hair once a month, after washing and putting DC on it. I do it as I undo my twists (one by one). I use to be faithful to Keracare Humecto conditioner but I ran out and it's quite expensive so now I'm using the different conditioners I have (Body Shop Banana conditioner, Komaza care conditioner,...etc). I use wide tooth ghair combs to detangle, they are Godsend!

Protective Styles: two strand twists (90% of the time). Other protective styles I rock are thread-wrapped hair, individual braids or cornrows.

What's aided in your growth: I was stuck at SL for a while and couldn't figure out why, it was because I wore my hair loose instead of bunned up and the friction between my ends and my coat wasn't doing it any good. After I started wearing my hair up, things got better. I think protective styling coupled with massages with EO helped alot. When I first started I was so excited and washed my hair once a week and dc'ed once a week, then it became two weeks, then three weeks and now four weeks lol. The key is to be consistent with your regimen, I plan to one day get back on track but right now this particular regimen is working *for me*.

HTH

SHEANITPRO

4a/b
Cowash 1 time a week with VO5 conditioner.
Isoplus Leave In Condition after cowash.
Airdry only.
Put hair into a pony and apply castor oil and coconut oil to seal the ends only, and baggy...I do this step each night.
Daily...remove baggy and bun.
I relax every 15 weeks using a kiddie perm for fine hair.
Extreme low to no manipulation.

nikolite

Hair Type: 3C/4A; between APL and BSL. Fine strands.

Detangle (how often and what do you use products and tools): I finger detangle my hair once a week after taking down the last week's protective style and before shampooing. I first pre-poo my hair by saturating it with castor and coconut oil, put in 8 big twists, and let that sit for a few hours under a plastic cap, usually while exercising to get some sweat and steam to soften the oily hair. Then I spray with a bit of water to dampen slightly and detangle each section with my fingers by holding my hair taut and pulling apart large tangles before running my fingers through a little. I twist each section again after I'm done and then proceed to wash my hair. Once at the end of each month, I follow my finger detangle with a wide-tooth comb to make sure I more thoroughly remove any shed hair. I also keep my hair stretched 99.9% of the time so detangling isn't a hassle for me.

Wash (how often you wash/cowash, products used)
: After prepooing and detangling, I wash my hair while twisted in 8 sections, alternating each week between Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo and HE Hello Hydration. I wash once only. Then I apply conditioner, alternating between my protein conditioner mix (LeKair Cholesterol w/Aphogee 2-min and Renpure Reconstructor) and HE Hello Hydration conditioner. I let the conditioners sit on my hair for 10-15 minutes under a plastic cap with no heat except body heat and then rinse. I used to DC for 30 minutes, but recently found that my hair feels the same at just 10 minutes. I'm starting to think DC'ing for much longer than the recommended time is usually a waste of time for my hair.

Every two months I henna and then DC for at least an hour under a hooded dryer.

I'm not a co-washer, but if I do it's only in the summer and very rarely but for emergencies when its in the middle of the week and I want to wash but don't want to use shampoo to do it.

Protective Styles: I'm constantly in PS. I have a 2-month styling regimen that cycles: The 1st month I henna and then wear a 4-week protective style (usually cornrows or box braids, sometimes under headwraps, wigs or crochet braids) and for the 2nd month I change my hairstyle every week, wearing bunned twists, french braids, etc. (while deep conditioning with protein weekly). Switching back and forth between long-term protective and weekly protective styles keeps me from getting too bored.

What's aided in your growth: Definitely the protein and henna I do on a regular basis. I think constant PSing also helps a lot. Also, after DCing, I add a very moisturizing pH balanced leave-in (Kimmaytube mix) and air-dry in a rollerset or plaits before styling. I never use a blow dryer. My hair stays moisturized for days after this before I re-wet and apply more leave-in once again in the middle of the week. I don't moisture every night, but I dry baggy most nights in between adding the leave-in and that gives me the perfect amount of moisture without over-doing it.

alive

Truth be told, I don't have a regimen. I just play it by ear and somehow my hair still luvs me lol

Hair Type: 4b

Wash: every week. Sometimes 2 weeks.

Detangle: 1x per week with just my denman

Protective Styles: twists and buns

What's aided in your growth: I leave it alone. I really don't like spending a ton of time on my hair so once I find a cute style, I stick with it until it's on its last leg lol

Toy

Regime

2 times a week condition wash/deep condition with Wen Fig,Joico Moisture Recovery Balm,Aussie Moist Conditioner,Aussie 3 min Deep Conditioner,Joico Kpak Moisture Hydration Conditioner,Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner,Ors Replenshing Conditioner & Many More (((My hair Loves Moisturizing Conditioners ))) so when ever i see a good conditioner I try it if the price is decent.

Moisturizers: Qhemet Root Burdock,Qhemet Olive & Honey balm,S-Curl,Proline Softner Moisturizer.

I Relax Every 8 wks With Dark & lovely Relaxer

No Shampoo,I use Roux Porosity Control once a month

I only use Heat when i am checking the Length

Protective style 99.9% of the time has aided in my hair growth & conditioning washes

Last edited:

ckisland

This was the regimen that got me from 0.5 in of hair to a little past APL. Currently my hair ranges from ~APL to BSB and I don't really have a sure fire regimen at this length :perplexed.

Hair Type:
4a/4b

Wash:
Most of the time I cowashed or at least rinsed my hair daily. I used a slew of products but my staples are: Shescentit Honey Rinse, Suave Tropical Coconut, Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey, and HE None of Your Frizzness. Half of the time I leave in whatever conditioner I used to cowash as my moisturizer, but I also used HE NYF leave-in and much more recently Shescentit Marshmallow Herbal Hair Cream (bestest leave-in ever). I always seal with an oil, pomade, or butter.

Detangle:

I detangle my hair in the shower when it's coated with condish. I've used my fingers, a wide tooth comb, and the Goody's Jojoba brush (and now the tangle teezer) to detangle. How regularly? About once a month during my first year :lol: . After that it ranged from every 3 days to once a week to once every two weeks. My hair doesn't tangle much (I don't understand why) so I'll forget to detangle unless I'm being really diligent about my routine.

Protective Styles:
My main style was the wash n'go. I might bun a couple of times a month, but that's about it. I'm currently experimenting with braid n'curls, braidouts, bantu knotouts, and bunning on a semi-regular basis.

Cowashing and wetting my hair daily has been more helpful than anything I've done. Especially since I don't do much to my hair :lachen:. That being said, wash n'gos were beneficial because they required very little manipulation.

Barbara

Princess
Hair Type: 4a/b

Wash: Salon visits twice a month; click on link for primary hair care products and pictures

Detangle: Stylist prefers Infusium 23 Repairology with a wide tooth plastic comb

Protective Styles: Twist into a bun 95 percent of the time; sleep with a bonnet or scarf; even with a hat, I wear a scarf or bonnet underneath.

What's aided in your growth: Using moisture rich hair care products, protective styling, and less manipulation. My hair is never washed more than twice a month, plus my stylist is not "scissor happy." The last time he cut my hair was two years ago, which was extremely necessary, because the right side was 6 or 7 inches longer than the left side. This brought my hair to bra clasp length. I haven't had any trims since then, because he feels it isn't necessary.

Here a side point: My stylist prefers to rotate products from time to time. I consistently used my primary hair care line for ten years, then he recommended my current secondary products which I have been using for six years now. They are as follows: Cream of Nature Shampoo (original ultra moisturizing/detangling formula) which I stocked up on since it's been discontinued -- but there's still more here in Los Angeles; Motions Moisture Plus conditioner (tub version); Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor; and Infusium 23 Repairology (formerly leave in treatment, used for detangling).

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

Hair Type: 4A

Wash: I wash once a week and co-wash twice a week

Detangle: A good leave-in, wet hair, a double detangler comb, and rat teeth comb for stubborn knots

Protective Styles: Buns and braidouts 95% of the time

What's aided in your growth: Good hair care and patience but you can read my full hair journey here...

http://ayannah.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-pastcurrent-hair-regimen.html

Daily:
- Moisturize my hair with Scurl Instant Activator (or any glycerin based product I have around the house) or Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in. Both are staples of mine that make my hair soft and easier to detangle.
- I will oil my hair with every now and again. I really used to like Coconut oil, castor oil, and any smell-good oil like African Pride. Those are good oils to use.
- I used serum a lot after I moisturizer. I use L’oreal TextureLine HairMix SublimeShine. I love this stuff.

Daily Hair Style:
- I wear A LOT of buns and braidouts. Buns when my hair isn’t detangled (between week) or when I am getting closer to a relaxer (cause my new growth gets really thick). Braidouts when my hair is thoroughly detangled or when I just blowdried my hair.

Note: If you want long hair in a decent amount of time get used to wear protective and no-heat styles. I rocked buns and braidouts for at least 90% of my hair journey. I rarely use heat. I have also done weaves which are an excellent protective WHEN INSTALLED currently. I have done my own weaves when my hair was shorten. As it got longer, I had it professionally done. Now I don’t think my hair will lay flat enough around a weave but I may try to get one in the future.

Weekly:
- I shampoo and condition once a week. I detangle with a detangling comb (it has double the teeth and works magic).
- If my hair feels dry, I will co-wash (conditioner wash) my hair mid-week or sometimes just run water through my hair. My hair LOVES water.
- I airdry 95% of the time. I'll usually air dry hanging loose for a little while, then moisturize, braid in one or two plaits or bun. I always tie down with a scarf.

Maintenance:
- I relax once every 3 months with a Lye relaxer. I use the HALF/HALF method.
- I do a dusting (less than inch clipping at the ends) after every relaxing and when I use heat. This helps to keep the hair you grow. Avoid being eager for trims too frequently. I am a rebel and I have maybe had two good trims in the last 3 years. When my hair reaches hip-length, I’ll do a big chop back to WSL for a good even cut.
- I do not deep condition with heat. I do deep condition overnight with a plastic cap though and I do this twice a month or so.

naturalTAN

Hair Type:
4a

Once a week, I shampoo with Aussie Moist Poo or Suave 2n1 Poo then deep condition with Aphogee 2min and Aussie Moist 3 min.

On wash day, I detangle with deep conditioners in with my Sally's shampoo brush. If I need to midweek, I use my rake comb on dry hair with oil.

Protective Styles:
I mostly wear twists or braids under halfwigs or my phonypuff. Sometimes I'll stretch my hair witha rollerset then bun.

Random scalp massages...?

Last edited:

nymane

Full BSB 4b/a

Roller set (weekly) regimen: Shampoo, DC, apply Leave-ins, & Roller set.

Air Drying regimen: Shampoo, DC, apply Leave-ins, make 6-8 braids and air dry (when it dries I rock a braid out). With this reggie I co-wash mid-week, apply my leave-ins and re-braid to refresh the style and add moisture.

*For both regimens I moisturize at least once daily (I seal occasionally).

Right now I'm on my roller set weekly regimen.

frida1980

Hair Type: 4A/B

Once a week, but I may stretch to 2 weeks depending on how my hair is doing. As soon as my scalp gets too dry and itchy, or I start to shed then I wash or co-wash if it's been less than a week.

I only use sulfate free shampoos. Right now I'm using Hair Gear products for shampoo, conditioner, and DC. Since it's winter I'm using a natural mix of Yogurt, avocado, EVOO, and garlic to give extra protection and prevent shedding. It works like a dream. I also steam once a week.
I always shower detangle. First I finger detangle dry. Then soak it and cover it in conditioner for the comb detangle. First with a wide tooth shower comb and then finally with a afro comb. I get very little breakage this way.

Protective Styles:
Bunning using scarfs and pins, no bands, clips, two strand twist.

Not fighting my hair and not neglecting my hair. My setbacks were mostly trying to fit my hair into a square peg. It just wasn't going to happen. It likes to frizz up. It likes to do what it wants. It's all about what your hair likes, what it can do, and how you can work with it. Now I focus on keeping it healthy. That means protein treatments, lots of DCing, steaming, vinegar rinsing, avocado and whatever it takes to make my hair thrive.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hair Type:4a

i wash 1-2 times a month.i use any shampoo and follow up with conditioner.

i detangle when i wash. i use a wide toothed shower comb and a goody add shine brush. i detangle with conditioner.

Protective Styles:
i usually wear a bun or a braid. i switch it up by placing it at different points on my head and changing the type of bun i do. i do this whether my hair is straight or in its natural state.when my hair was too short to bun i wore twists

What's aided in your growth: patience,protein and keeping it simple(for the most part:look:). i like old school products and methods.

i had a twa in jan 2009 and now i am an inch past bsl.(layered)

Last edited:

mscheergrl

Embracing happiness
Hair Type: 4B, relaxed

Wash: I wash 1 time a week. DC on dry hair with ORS mayo, shampoo with NTM moisturizing shampoo, then condition with NTM conditioner

Detangle: I detangle on wash day under running water with the tangle teezer

Protective Styles: Buns

What's aided in your growth: I take powdered MSM everyday as well as massage a blend of MSM, tea tree oil, and olive oil into my scalp 3-4 times a week. Exercise and great diet has also been vital =)

HHG!

AimWard

Hair Type: 85% 4a; 15% 3c

Wash: Every 7 days or so with some sort of lathering sulfate free shampoo (right now I'm stuck on Shea Moisture poos). I do not co wash, ever. I get major itchies and white heads along my hair line if I don't use something that lathers.

Detangle: Every 7 days or so after washing and conditioning. I use KCKT (and occasionally Curls Milkshake or Giovanni Smooth as silk) and my fingers only to detangle (a comb hasn't touched my hair for anything other than switching up my part since 2009).

Protective styles:
The only time I really "protectively style" my hair is when I go to bed. I generally twist my hair on wash day, air dry, then take the twists out (usually 24 hours later). Every night before bed, I retwist into 4 or 6 loose twists and wrap with a satin scarf. I wear my hair out every day.

What's aided in my growth: Low manipulation. I only do my hair once a week and I don't use a comb. The rest of the week I just get up, take off my scarf, release the 4 or 6 twists, fluff and go. I'm also on the South Beach diet which means I eat alot of lean protein and I get the majority of my carbs from leafy greens and fiber rich veggies (all good for hair growth).

LaFemmeNaturelle

My regimen WAS shampooing every 1-2 weeks, conditioning, detangle with leave-ins, put in 4-6 braids and wear braidouts and buns until my next wash with finger combing in between as necessary.

I'm currently co-washing and acv rinse 3 times a week in 4 braids and wear braidouts and buns and prepooing with oil/shampooing every 2 weeks, condition, detangle with leave-ins, and braid up.

ETA: Ok I didn't follow directions. I'll edit.

HollyGolightly

Hair Type: 4a

Wash: (how often you wash/cowash, products used) I wash once a week with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration poo and conditioner. Whenever my hair feels dry, I deep condition with EVOO.

Detangle: (how often and what do you use products and tools) I use a seamless comb to detangle my hair under running water in the shower while it's soaked in conditioner. I rinse with cold water, then use Cantu's Shea Butter leave-in conditioner as I braid/twist my hair. I use a denman brush on the ends to make sure that my hair is detangled well.

Protective Styles: Wigs!

What's aided in your growth: I take my time detangling my hair and I almost never put heat on it or let it dry shrunken. (It tangles badly if I don't stretch it out with braids) I also wash my hair in sections.

LovelyNaps26

Hair Type: 4a

Wash: usually once a week but sometimes every two weeks if i'm lazy or i don't want to mess up a particular style. I prepoo with oils and conditioner (now i'm using sunflower oil and aussie moist). i alternate between a shampoo bar and diluted creme of nature (the original) to wash.

Detangle: I detangle only ONE week on wash day after my hair has been dampened and coated with my prepoo mix. After washing washing i use the kimmaytube leave in as a leave in. when it was super cold i used qhemet amla heavy creme as my leave in

Protective Styles: medium/large double strand twists pinned up or a braid out that i pin up.

What's aided in your growth: very low manipulation (only combing hair on wash day when wet with conditioner) and not ripping my hair out when detangling in the shower. keeping my hair moisturized through out the week has also been helpful in reducing breakage. I do use a blow dryer occasionally for a stretched style but it is pretty rare.

kami02

Hair Type: 4A - Crown, 4B - nape and perimeter

Wash: I wash 1/week with L'Oreal sulfate free shampoo, pre-poo with olive oil on hair and castor in scalp overnight, DC with Yes for Carrots mud mask and Keracare dry and itchy scalp conditioner

Detangle: I combed my hair every day but I detangle thoroughly 1/week with my fake denman

Protective Styles: Bun sometimes, not religiously. I do wear a scarf under my wool hat every day.

What's aided in your growth: Patience. Plus I do trim my hair about every 4 months and I make sure to watch the stylist like a hawk when they are trimming.

Amoreofcurls

Hair type3c/4a

Wash: Once a week ,I prepoo(dry) with vatika oil the night before or a few hours before washing, this also gives my hair enough slip to remove most of my shed hair...Clarify w/Castile soap or, Suave daily clarif. shamp. I DC on dry hair with my DC cocktail, and I either leave it on for more an 2 hrs, overnight, or I steam. After rinsing the DC I do a quick ACV rinse to seal my cuticles. Then I proceed to moisturize with Giovanni Direct leave in and seal with my crisco/oil mix...

Detangle: Once a week.Ive been dry detangling before washing for a while now, but recently ive been detangling w/ my tangle teezer after washing, and with my Leave in...

Protective Styles: I dont really do alot of PS.I'll do an updo once n a blue, but it will last for like 2 days...im a twist and braid out girl

What's aided in your growth: Well for me my focus is on retention, because hair will grow no matter what, but MOISTURE, Patience and Consistency with my regimen, and keeping my ends moisturized and sealed...Im also very gentle with my hair....

nzeee

:bump: bumping for more. i'm SL about to switch to loose hair buns (instead of braids and weaves) and i'm a little apprehensive about it. curious to see what similar hair types are doing for daily protection (besides twists cuz i hate the way they look w/out extensions)

Urban

The most consistent thing I do is protective styling.

Everything else, I do whenever I feel like it. I can wash, condition, oil or moisturize every week, every other week, to a month sometimes. I just listen to my hair and give it what it needs, when it needs it.