Type 4A/B (NO LOOSE COILS): Is there a way to get NICE BIG FULL WASH N GOS???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Is there a way for Type 4A/B to get a nice big full wash n go???

When I do wash n gos, they look thin and anorexic and short in length.

In order for me to achieve BIG hair, I HAVE to blowdry it out with a comb attachment.

Sometimes stretching my hair out with twists or braids right after washing my hair does not give me enough fullness and thickness that I want. My hair dries up shrunken even in twists and braids. And yes, I would detangle my hair thoroughly before styling wet hair into twists and braids.

I thought of this thread after seeing whoissugar's wash n go. It's said she is Type 4, but doesn't have as much shrinkage as me. I've also seen a few other wash n gos that look similar to Type 4 hair that looked good. Maybe it's because they don't have Type 4b mixed in with their hair?

Does level of shrinkage and thickness of hair strands and hair length really have something to do with getting a nice big full wash n go? Does that diffuser thingy work to creating the fullness with Type 4A/B? Or is it certain products?

I could go on with the questions, y'all know me, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks in advance!

I definitely think that the hair's density and the strand size will result in a different finish product on a wash n go. I also think that the shrinkage will also affect the "bigness" of the wash n go because it is more packed to the head and doesn't have a lot of space for air to pass through. The diffuser may work to fluff up and decrease shrinkage.

I think the more length you achieve the bigger your results will be and you have to manipulate less.

Much success and post pictures please!

Last edited:
ecostyler gel (olive) stretches my hair out. it gives it the weight it needs to prevent a ton of shrinkage. i have fine hair, but very tight coils (4a). i don't wear them anymore though. my thing is twistouts now. my twistouts don't look like everyone else's since my texture is so coily. i can't stretch out my coily pattern to save my life. so my hair is still very coily, but stretched out enough to show some length.

Well I guess I'll have to forget about getting a nice big stretched out wash n go and just stick with twistouts for a big fluffy look.

My wash and go's are not big and fluffy, but when I compare my hair to others on youtube, I don't have as much hair as they do. It's not so much the curl size (4a/b, whatever) but lack of density and thickness that keeps my wash and go's from being nice and fluffy.

ETA: I love this girl's wng's, but I just don't have that much hair!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGP0Mflws8

Last edited:
I don't have 4a/b hair but I like big, non-crunchy WnGs and I recently learned that the less product used, the fluffier and fuller it is. And absolutely no oil. I may be off base but maybe try it and see if it makes a difference :)

I think it has to do with how much hair you have to begin with. The more products I put in my hair, the thinner it looks. I have very fine strands, but a whole lot of them. No two heads will act alike, but I'd say my hair is closest to br0nzeqt on youtube, but longer.

I think twist outs and braid outs on stretched hair look thinner than a wash and go on my own hair.

The amount of shrinkage one has, has a lot to do with it. From what I know, I have very dense hair but I still can't do a wash and go because for as much length as I have, my hair loves to shrink down to a TWA when it's loose.

OP I can totally relate to a lot of the things you mentioned, like people always say oh throw your hair in plaits to stretch it and my hair just laughs at that and shrinks to its hearts content. So no big hair for me, maybe when I get to hip length or something.

Have you tried leave in conditioner without gel? i think people with finer hair can get away with using just that rather than someone with my hair texture

or if you haven't used them before perhaps curl activators worldofcurls Long Aid etc

I think it just depends on how much your hair shrinks. Sometimes after my wash and go is dry I stretch it out some by using the concentration nozzle attachment for my blow drier on low heat.

IMO for those of us with crazy shrinkage we won't be able to get full wash and goes without using heat or stretching the hair with braids/twists/banding thus it won't be an actual wash n go

I've finally figured out how to get bigger hair from a wash n go style!

After cowashing and applying product, I put my hair into a ponytail and let it airdry. Once mostly dry, I take out the ponytail holder and fluff it out. I got this tip from rachaelcpr on youtube.

Here's pictures of my wash n go using a sample pack of As I Am Curling Jelly (gives really good curl definition):

2hmhmxc.jpg

68tusx.jpg

Here's pictures from yesterday of my wash n go with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (not as much curl definition but more volume and softness):

53psa0.jpg

96jj39.jpg

I've also given up on the EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel for my wash n go style. It makes my hair flat and hard....see pic below: :barf:

2p5eg.jpg

I'll probably just only use this gel for slicking back my edges for a pulled back hair style.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Last edited:
Chameleonchick said:
What about drying in the twists or braids, then the next day before bed braid them smaller.

See, I wanted to avoid having to twist or braid my hair to stretch it out. I wanted ease of styling my hair in its natural state. But now, I've figured out an easy and quick way to get a more voluminous wash n go style.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Great idea! I love your hair. I do something similiar with one exception after I take the rubber band off I put a headband on to style my wash n go fro.

I do WnGs ALL the time. They are my go-to style. I'd call myself 4a, if I were to guess. My hair is pretty big to me when I do my WnGs, but I've perfected my technique.

Here is a pic of how my WnGs usually look.

b414669f-027b-4562-9d50-eba9d6bc6395-1.jpg

Products I use that get me my perfect WnG are:
Heavy Moisturizing Conditioner (Giovanni SAS 50:50, Giovanni SAS Deeper Moisture, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, Depends on what I wish to try at the moment)
Castor Oil
Flaxseed Gel

I also have a certain technique that I use to make my hair fuller in its WnG state and not disturb the curls.

Poohbear Hmm I'll have to try this. What products do you use before putting it in the ponytail? Leave in then oil then gel? Trying to figure out what products and how to use them. TIA!

I stretched my wash & go with a banana clip - making a high ponytail with it. I use conditioner (Tressemme Naturals this week), castor oil and flaxseed gel. It still shrinks eventually but I just stretch is out at night with a spritz of water and the banana clip.

ecostyler gel (olive) stretches my hair out. it gives it the weight it needs to prevent a ton of shrinkage. i have fine hair, but very tight coils (4a). i don't wear them anymore though. my thing is twistouts now. my twistouts don't look like everyone else's since my texture is so coily. i can't stretch out my coily pattern to save my life. so my hair is still very coily, but stretched out enough to show some length.

Really?! I tried using Ecostyler (Olive) to weigh my hair down and OMG my hair was up to my ears by the end of the afternoon. I'm not sure if it was because of the humidity down here in Georgia or my hair!?

I would like to find a solution though!

Poohbear Hmm I'll have to try this. What products do you use before putting it in the ponytail? Leave in then oil then gel? Trying to figure out what products and how to use them. TIA!
Foxglove - I just use one product in my hair before putting it in a ponytail... for instance, when I used that As I Am Curling Jelly sample pack, that's the only product I used. When I used the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, that's the only product I used.

I love Naptural85's method for a wng look-a-like. It give you the curl definition that you want without so much shrinkage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUiD7anUEY&feature=plcp

...wayment, i'm a year late :/

To me, her "wash n go" was really a twistout. I liked her results but would love to see her hair without it being unraveled twists.

I do WnGs ALL the time. They are my go-to style. I'd call myself 4a, if I were to guess. My hair is pretty big to me when I do my WnGs, but I've perfected my technique.

Here is a pic of how my WnGs usually look.

b414669f-027b-4562-9d50-eba9d6bc6395-1.jpg

Products I use that get me my perfect WnG are:
Heavy Moisturizing Conditioner (Giovanni SAS 50:50, Giovanni SAS Deeper Moisture, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, Depends on what I wish to try at the moment)
Castor Oil
Flaxseed Gel

I also have a certain technique that I use to make my hair fuller in its WnG state and not disturb the curls.

KurlyNinja - What is that certain technique?

Foxglove - I just use one product in my hair before putting it in a ponytail... for instance, when I used that As I Am Curling Jelly sample pack, that's the only product I used. When I used the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, that's the only product I used.

To me, her "wash n go" was really a twistout. I liked her results but would love to see her hair without it being unraveled twists.

This is what I was thinking as I was watching the video. Wash and Go's have a different look to them from a twist out. I do the night time routine like she does but I do little pineapples at night instead of the twists so it keeps the look of a wash and go the next morning.

Back