Ugh! Minor Setback..A Darn Relaxing Mistake!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm so mad!!! A couple of weeks ago I relaxed. I always coat my previously relaxed hair with coconut oil. Well, I was applying the relaxer to my hair and I realized that I made a mistake and got some relaxer on the ends of a small section of my hair in the back. Of course this is the longest part of my hair (right side of the nape) so its obvious in length checks.

Even though it was only a small section I wanted to cry but I stayed calm. I immediately rinsed those ends and put some neutralizing shampoo on that part and rinsed it again. Then I globbed even more coconut oil on the ends of that section and continued to finish relaxing the rest of the hair.

Well, I thought I was out of the water and today after washing and flat-ironing I noticed that that section of hair is totally chopped off by an inch or two!! This bothers me because I'm losing faith in coconut oil protecting my previously relaxed hair. I dont know how long the relaxer sat on the ends but I would think not for a few minutes at most.

Ugh! I'm so sick of finally getting closer to APL and stupid stuff like this happens. I'll be alright because its only about an inch area but I'm mad as heck because its the part of hair that outlines my length.

Thanks for letting me vent.

danysedai

Are you going to try other methods of protecting your relaxed hair (drenching it in conditioner, or buying one that is sold specifically for that Ex Mizani Honey Shield?

But hugs to you, I know what is like to get a setback. Put your hair away for now and protect it, it's winter anyway so you will probably won't want your hair rubbing against your coats, hats etc, you will be at APL before you realize it. Believe me, we've all been there aiming for that elusive APL and one day you'll look and you are there and even past APL. It looks very pretty and thick from your siggy.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Are you going to try other methods of protecting your relaxed hair (drenching it in conditioner, or buying one that is sold specifically for that Ex Mizani Honey Shield?

But hugs to you, I know what is like to get a setback. Put your hair away for now and protect it, it's winter anyway so you will probably won't want your hair rubbing against your coats, hats etc, you will be at APL before you realize it. Believe me, we've all been there aiming for that elusive APL and one day you'll look and you are there and even past APL. It looks very pretty and thick from your siggy.

Awww! Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice!! I never heard of the Mizani Honey Shield but I will definitely look into it now that my faith in coconut oil is gone. You're right, at least it's Winter time. I'll may put a little sulphur in that area and hope to get a spurt to catch up.

Thanks again!

Carmelella

Coconut hair isn't thick enough and basic chemicals eat right through it. I use Vaseline mixed with a lil coconut oil. The mostly Vaseline is the barrier and the coconut oil helps you part the hair cuz Vaseline makes the hair stick together. GL

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Coconut hair isn't thick enough and basic chemicals eat right through it. I use Vaseline mixed with a lil coconut oil. The mostly Vaseline is the barrier and the coconut oil helps you part the hair cuz Vaseline makes the hair stick together. GL

I had no idea and I'm glad you ladies are giving me alternatives because I'll be using them for sure the next time.

Thank you!

southerncitygirl

yeah evco is way too thin. you'll be fine your hair is thick and its a small section. keep it tucked away it will grow back fast!

Leesh

Awww! Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice!! I never heard of the Mizani Honey Shield but I will definitely look into it now that my faith in coconut oil is gone. You're right, at least it's Winter time. I'll may put a little sulphur in that area and hope to get a spurt to catch up.

Thanks again!

Hairsnob,

This is the relaxer system that I use, and Im in love. The Honey shield is fantastic. I also use the Butter Base for the protection of the scalp...again wonderful.
The Shield is a white creamy texture, sort of like conditioner. The Base is a clear thick jelly type texture.
They wash away soooooo easily. They protect so well that you must really monitor your time cause you can go on and forget...cause theres no tingling or anything.

http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=55&p=5100&rid=300

http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=55&p=5099&rid=300

ETA: Im so sorry about your setback...Im with you.Once I touch up Im going to have to get rid of at least 3" inches...Messed around dragging my textured hair thru ponytail holders and thinned the ends out. Second setback since my journey began. It can be very frustrating. Hide it from yourself, keep it tucked away and do a challenge with yourself and when you TU again youll have a nice surprise. Im currently stretching...And Im doin the "Deep Moisture Method" keepin it in buns %100 of the time...to the point where I dont even see the length until touchup time.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hairsnob

This is the relaxer system that I use, and Im in love. The Honey shield is fantastic. I also use the Butter Base for the protection of the scalp...again wonderful.
The Shield is a white creamy texture, sort of like conditioner. The Base is a clear thick jelly type texture.
They wash away soooooo easily. They protect so well that you must really monitor your time cause you can go on and forget...cause theres no tingling or anything.

http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=55&p=5100&rid=300

http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=55&p=5099&rid=300

ETA: Im so sorry about your setback...Im with you.Once I touch up Im going to have to get rid of at least 3" inches...Messed around dragging my textured hair thru ponytail holders and thinned the ends out. Second setback since my journey began. It can be very frustrating. Hide it from yourself, keep it tucked away and do a challenge with yourself and when you TU again youll have a nice surprise. Im currently stretching...And Im doin the "Deep Moisture Method" keepin it in buns %100 of the time...to the point where I dont even see the length until touchup time.

Leesh These definitely sound like they're right up my alley. :yep: It's so worth it taking these precautions to protect all the hard work we go through.

Thanks so much for posting the links. It's definitely on my list now for the next time.

Thanks again!!!

virtuenow

That chemical is a strong thing. I don't know that anything can "protect" the hair. After all, it can eat through drain clogs. Maybe petroleum jelly or something w/a mineral oil base.

BlkMane

If you are going the petroleum jelly route next time, you might want to use that Vaseline-like pink scalp protectant stuff. (I forget the name.) Same consistency and it's formulated to protect your scalp from the relaxer so it will protect your hair as well. Plus, I'm sure, it should be much easier to rinse out than regular ol' Vaseline.

Evolving78

i just use regular ole base, and castor oil on my hair. you know my mother relaxed my whole head, but managed to save my strands.

Kindheart

Coconut oil absorbs into your hair so it's not a good protectant against chemicals ,I d use a petroleum based pomade .I used to use Affirm scalp protector all over my hair but you can use something less pricey and obtain the same result.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Great advice ladies!! Im glad it was only a small area to make me realize I'm using the wrong thing to help protect my hair.

Thank you all!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Apl is such an elusive chick! She is a tease! I hate trying to get to her. BUT here is the upside, EVERYTHING i learned about retaining length, I learned on the way to APL. all this things you encounter on the way to meet APL, will help you go past her. And when you do PASS HER, lose her number! LOL

At least it was only an inch or two and not all over your head.

I would suggest treating your ends with coconut oil the night before and then use a heavy conditioner and something that blocks the cuticle on your ends before relaxing. (Like Vaseline, crisco, honey shield by mizani, Roux porosity control.....the longer your hair gets the more fragile the ends are. The more protection they need.)

I used to have a good protectant blend that i got from another poster years ago when I self relaxed. I'll try to find it in my old notes.)

browneyedgrl

I feel your pain. When I was a self relaxer the same happened to my crown area. Now I leave it to the professionals. I agree with others about using petroleum jelly instead as a protectant though.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yep.:yep:

I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base or Affirm's Preservo or MBB Honey Shield.

I also spritz and allow to fully dry: either Neutral Protein Filler, Keratin Oil or Hydrolzed Keratin on previously relaxed ends.

Overlapping ain't no joke.:perplexed

NIN4eva

I use Affirm Protecto with any brand of relaxer.

Features:
Affirm Protecto is a patented organic Biocomplex that is applied along the entire hairshaft and new growth area prior to relaxing.• Rich, positively charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft. • These compounds penetrate deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. • Protecto accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage, because during the straightening process, the hair’s pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are wide open.

Benefits
• Effectively repairs trichorrexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft).
• Achieves smooth realignment of damaged hair fibers.
• Minimizes shedding.
• Fly-away split ends are repaired.
• Eases wet combing.