Unsalted butter, various uses?

Prettyeyes

WHO USES UNSALTED BUTTER???

Does anyone still use unsalted butter? I know some were using it as a DC. Does anyone use it as a daily hair dress and not rinse it out?

Last edited:

eajaye2u

Hello- 3 times a week after i spritz some moisture. Will seal with the ghee butter. Shout out to Stina Stina! She is a member here who sells it.
Cover it with something creamy to mask the popcorn smell. My ends love it. It doesnt have to be washed out IMO. It makes a great overnight pre-poo w/baggy. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.Your ends will love you for it. I forget who turned me on to it. Thank you whoever it was. Try a search.

Prettyeyes

btw, I put some in my hair tonight on a whim and put on my scarf, I am loving how deeply it moisturizes.

Prettyeyes

Re: WHO USES UNSALTED BUTTER????

I think it is reaaly great for buns. Anyone use it and wear their hair down/straightened????

Last edited:

Ballerina_Bun

I am not using it in my hair,but on my skin mixed with some other things. It was an ayurdevic mixture for my Dosha and other things ... It makes my skin feel so, so good.

mscocoface

Okay totally missed this. Are you guys speaking about the butter you use for food? That unsalted butter?

jamaraa

Yes, it's food, but in Indian (ghee), Middle Eastern, and East African tradition....it's not the same as US/European unsalted butter. Technically it's "clarified butter" meaning that the butter fat has been boiled and separated from the oil. This boiling also changes the chemical composition of the oil and the taste. US butter won't really work (don't try it) because the milk has already been pasteurized. (I've made it and it doesn't taste the same)

I wish some East Africans would give some info on how it's used since they are the ones who have a major traditions using it for hair and body care.

Prettyeyes

yes, it has to be heated and the top skimmed. There was a thread about it a while ago that had a recipe in it.