UPSET ABOUT MY PROGRESS

Healthb4Length

Right now I'm a little upset about my progress. Yes my hair is growing and hasn't really broken off. I haven't had a texturizer touch up in one year, but my ends are kinda jacked!:mad: This is going to interfere with my goals to get to bra length this year. I already trimmed over 3 inches in December of 05 and it seems like I will have to trim even more. I'm a little upset because I really put a lot into my hair growth efforts like oiling my ends, alternating between protein and moisture treatments and wearing protective styles. It just seems like my ends keep thining the longer my hair gets. Now it seems like I will have to do trims throughout the year to thicken up my hair. I don't think I'll be getting to bra length this year:perplexed! :ohwell:h well it's only hair, but I'm a little disappointed by the setback. I will be getting a texturizer touch up in 2 weeks so I'll see where it goes from there...but I would truly appreciate any advice you ladies have to give. Even an old head like myself lose her way, please give me your best advice. Thanks.:)

MeechUK

MeechUK
Alli77 said:
Right now I'm a little upset about my progress. Yes my hair is growing and hasn't really broken off. I haven't had a texturizer touch up in one year, but my ends are kinda jacked!:mad: This is going to interfere with my goals to get to bra length this year. I already trimmed over 3 inches in December of 05 and it seems like I will have to trim even more. I'm a little upset because I really put a lot into my hair growth efforts like oiling my ends, alternating between protein and moisture treatments and wearing protective styles. It just seems like my ends keep thining the longer my hair gets. Now it seems like I will have to do trims throughout the year to thicken up my hair. I don't think I'll be getting to bra length this year:perplexed! :ohwell:h well it's only hair, but I'm a little disappointed by the setback. I will be getting a texturizer touch up in 2 weeks so I'll see where it goes from there...but I would truly appreciate any advice you ladies have to give. Even an old head like myself lose her way, please give me your best advice. Thanks.:)

Have you tried combing/brushing your hair whilst it is damp? I spritz my hair with a mixture of distilled water and EOs, whenever I want to style. I also found another way of combing/brushing my hair curtesy of the C & G technique.

I used to have the problem of thinning ends, but I now find that my regrowth maintains its thickness in my length.

MeechUK

Miss*Tress

For a minute, I thought you were talking to yourself in here. LOL

The only suggestion I have for you (and somewhat contrary to what MeechUK suggests) is to stop brushing your hair. I stopped using a brush in January and have much less breakage which leads to thinner ends.

Also you might want to just let the ends grow out as they are and not cut them unless they are damaged or split. In one member's album (Honey something) she says her ponytail is quite thin at BSL. Now she's at waistlength and the ends are filling in nicely.

Above all, don't despair!

RabiaElaine

Alli,

Don't be upset, I think the reason why your ends look thin is because you haven't had a touch up in a year. I just came off a 4 month stretch (texlaxed yesterday) and I know that my ends seemed really thin because of all the new growth at the roots. I think when you touch up you will notice that your ends aren't as thin as they seem now. Based on your description I think your ends are fine they just look thin, I wouldn't trim anymore until after you texturize.

BTW congrats on a 1 year stretch!!!!!!!!!

hottopic

1 YEAR STRETCH!! Be proud that you gave your hair a one year break :) Your ends just look thin because have not gotten a touch up. The ladies suggestion is correct. You will be fine after your touch up. Post pictures.....

sareca

A thought occured to me that might apply to you as well. I started my journey in Sept 05. My hair was 4-5 inches from the nape and it was very neglected. I didn't use heat, but that was the only thing I did right. My worse hair sin was never using a moisturizing conditioner. So, that means only 3 inches (the last 6 months) of hair has been well cared for. Although my hair looks fine now (after a 1.5 inch trim and a lot of dusting) the previously neglected hair is not wearing (weathering) well. My current hair length is about 7 inches from the nape. These ends grew out of my head around this time last year (at .5inches/month + a little more during warmer months). That means they had almost 9 months of no conditioner! I'm surprised it has held on for this long. I'm guessing the older (longer) my hair gets the more like it is to show their previous neglect.

If you look at some of the longer hair ladies here (BSL or longer), they have been caring for the hair for over 3 years. That means they've grown entirely new heads of hair (6 inches/per X 3 years= 18 inches) and probably only have a few inches of their pre-journey hair.

So what the heck am I babbling about? If your hair is longer than 6 inches (one year of growth) it's going to take more than a year to really see the fruits of your labor. Congrats on the stretch, I'm sure your time is coming soon. :D

Healthb4Length

@MEECH I find that I can only manipulate my hair when wet, if I do it when try it's breakage city.

MissBiss-Your right about the ends and waiting till I reach waistlength-it's just frustrating seeing thin ends. And Yes sometimes I do feel like I'm talking to myself up in here...

Rabia- Excellent points! I'm actually texturizing next weekend with Arosci texturizing relaxer! Can't wait to see the results.

Hottopic-Yeah I'm kind of proud of myself for stretching so long! I now know that I can handle a variety of hair textures without too much drama.

Sareca-I notice that you are apart of the UBH challenge, have this been working well for you? This was the very first method I went on when I started my hair journey...I may return, I stopped because of PJism, I may alternate between this and C & G method. I may start of UBH products although they are expensive.

sareca

Alli77 said:
@MEECH I find that I can only manipulate my hair when wet, if I do it when try it's breakage city.

MissBiss-Your right about the ends and waiting till I reach waistlength-it's just frustrating seeing thin ends. And Yes sometimes I do feel like I'm talking to myself up in here...

Rabia- Excellent points! I'm actually texturizing next weekend with Arosci texturizing relaxer! Can't wait to see the results.

Hottopic-Yeah I'm kind of proud of myself for stretching so long! I now know that I can handle a variety of hair textures without too much drama.

Sareca-I notice that you are apart of the UBH challenge, have this been working well for you? This was the very first method I went on when I started my hair journey...I may return, I stopped because of PJism, I may alternate between this and C & G method. I may start of UBH products although they are expensive.

That's too funny, Ialternate between UBH and C&G too. It's been very good for my hair. I'm a little more in the C&G school lately, but started my journey on UBH. I'd never even heard of protein conditioners before Kathy H. I still try to not trim too often (only twice) and I never, ever brush my hair. I like her moisturizer, but I found cheaper alternatives. I might go back to using her protein deep conditioner when my braids are out. It was good, but I overdid it. I think her protein conditioner is cheaper than the Nexxus typically use. Nexxus comes in a tiny-weeny bottle. Hers comes in 32 oz bottles.

Healthb4Length

sareca said:
That's too funny, Ialternate between UBH and C&G too. It's been very good for my hair. I'm a little more in the C&G school lately, but started my journey on UBH. I'd never even heard of protein conditioners before Kathy H. I still try to not trim too often (only twice) and I never, ever brush my hair. I like her moisturizer, but I found cheaper alternatives. I might go back to using her protein deep conditioner when my braids are out. It was good, but I overdid it. I think her protein conditioner is cheaper than the Nexxus typically use. Nexxus comes in a tiny-weeny bottle. Hers comes in 32 oz bottles.

I really like the UBH method, I used to follow it precisely and got great results. I got caught up in PJism and as you can see it all went down hill from that point. I like the moisturizer as well but I've found an alternative as well, BB castor oil moisturizer and Elasta's recovery! Those things are great! I will be ordering her conditioner, it really does stop the breakage and give good tingle. I will be doing the UBH method with other products and some revised method.

cocoberry10

RabiaElaine said:
Alli,

Don't be upset, I think the reason why your ends look thin is because you haven't had a touch up in a year. I just came off a 4 month stretch (texlaxed yesterday) and I know that my ends seemed really thin because of all the new growth at the roots. I think when you touch up you will notice that your ends aren't as thin as they seem now. Based on your description I think your ends are fine they just look thin, I wouldn't trim anymore until after you texturize.

BTW congrats on a 1 year stretch!!!!!!!!!

That's totally true. I also came off a 4 month stretch, and my hair is a lot healthier looking now than it was before retouch.

Healthb4Length

cocoberry10 said:
That's totally true. I also came off a 4 month stretch, and my hair is a lot healthier looking now than it was before retouch.

Yeah, I actually maxiglided my hair and I think I used too much heat (used highest setting) that maybe the problem. My hair was pretty sleek but after a few minutes literally my hair started to swell and shrink. My hair started to feel very very dry and trashy...:perplexed, I guess my hair wasn't at the proper Ph because after moisturizing it it started to feel moist and healthy again. I'm assuming that even when your hair is pressed/flat ironed you won't see the true length as you would with a relaxer/texturizer. I have approximately 5+ inches of NG. I can't wait to do my hair so I can see the results. Hopefully my ends will look much better.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I think your hair maybe just fine and like the other ladies said, it may just be shrinkage causing the ends to look thinner than they truly are. Since all the NG is in the scalp area the shrinkages packs it together giving it a full look, I can only imagine what 1yr looks, like, :eek: , Congrats too on your stretch, that is great. I can't wait to see ya progress.

OT: I know first had what it is like posting something and it's like you don't exist or need advice. I told myself I won't ever post again, because every post get 0-3 responses and that's it. LOL. :look: :lol:

Healthb4Length

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think your hair maybe just fine and like the other ladies said, it may just be shrinkage causing the ends to look thinner than they truly are. Since all the NG is in the scalp area the shrinkages packs it together giving it a full look, I can only imagine what 1yr looks, like, :eek: , Congrats too on your stretch, that is great. I can't wait to see ya progress.

OT: I know first had what it is like posting something and it's like you don't exist or need advice. I told myself I won't ever post again, because every post get 0-3 responses and that's it. LOL. :look: :lol:

THanks for the kind words! My NG is very full and wavy-luv it but it can cause some drama. Let's just say frequent co-washings are a savior for me! I basically keep my hair in bun styles, no one can tell that I have chemicals on my ends cause my NG is smooth(with the help of Mango butter) in fact, everyone asks if I got a fresh perm:grin: YES! I want to loosen up the curls tho, so that I can wear it straight sometimes and I'm getting so tired of this bun! I've been bunning it for the past 4 months;).