Using a round brush to blow-dry hair

navsegda

So yeah...I ordered a Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools large round brush but I've always been paranoid about round brushes because I get this image of my hair snagging or tangling.

http://www.folica.com/Ceramic_Tools_R_d973.html

So my question is: for those of you who use a round brush to blow dry your hair, what technique do you use to keep it gliding through smoothly without it getting stuck and breaking your hair off? I've never used one before and am still leery of using this one.

RZILYNT

I too afraid of brushes, I always end up with split ends. Let me know how this works on your hair.

JLove74

If you're just starting out with roundbrushing, the ceramic brushes can brutal. Try getting a natural bristle roundbrush.

deontaer

I used to use a round brush to straighten my hair a couple of years ago and it worked very well. BUT, this was when my hair was much stronger (my hair texture changed after I had kids). Today, I'd be terrified to use a round brush because my hair tangles easily. Also, it took an extreme amount of heat to get the hair to actually bend to the brush like a curling iron, so just think about that as well. I know you'll use a good heat protectant. Good luck and post pictures when you finally do it.

Artemis

The key to getting the hair smooth and keeping it from tangling is to run the round brush (I use one with boar bristles) over the top of the section you are drying in a quick and even motion. If you use a serum (which I believe you do :) ) this should be pretty simple. With the blowdryer nozzle directed down, keep the dryer moving and follow the brush with it. I keep the dryer on medium heat, but run it on high, if that makes sense. Sometimes I'll do the cold shot afterwards. Also, remember to rotate the brush at the roots slightly as you are about to brush through the roots...It's gets smoother and shinier (IME) that way. I've also found that keeping the brush clean cuts down on the # of times you have to run it through the hair. (Just before your blowdry session should be sufficient.) I plan on posting pics of how I do it very soon...I'll let you know when they're up if you want:)

HTH

(I also want to add that I don't run the brush under the section I'm drying...I've found that tangles occur if I do this. If I want a bend to the hair, I'll just use the flat iron afterwards, or just wrap it.)

loveable37

I am currently using a BOAR BRISTLE brush its so soft i uses it before to remove tangles to flat iron, not during BLOWDRYIN the heat already weaken ur strand so a brush just might give u bad split ends.I though only when the hair wet not dry my bad!:confused:

MissFallon

navsegda said:
So yeah...I ordered a Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools large round brush but I've always been paranoid about round brushes because I get this image of my hair snagging or tangling.

http://www.folica.com/Ceramic_Tools_R_d973.html

So my question is: for those of you who use a round brush to blow dry your hair, what technique do you use to keep it gliding through smoothly without it getting stuck and breaking your hair off? I've never used one before and am still leery of using this one.

I let my hair airdry first. Then I apply heat protectant and straightening serum. I make sections and comb each section out first. Then I take the round brush and blow my hair out (using the concentrator thing that they have on the salon dryers). Then I repeat this until all sections of my hair are straight. Then I apply some moisturizer (perfect for perms) to my ends and wrap it and when I take it down its nice and silky like at the salon.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've never used a brush to blow-dry either but I just bought one of the hot air brushes to try out so we'll see how that turns out. I'm just using it to blow the roots a little after I roller set. I think I'll check out sylver's tutorial as well. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!