Using Expired Products: Whats the harm???

tailormade84

soooooooo I have a 2 year bottle of Kinky Curly Curling Custard that I have decided to revisit. I used KNOT TODAY underneath it, but when applying the KCCC my hair lost all slip and it didn't curl as well.

Now I know that KCCC has a 18 month shelf life, but I was wondering has anyone else kept their KCCC (or any other product) this long with no negative effects?

Please be careful--especially if you're using products w/ natural or non-chemical preservatives. The expired shelf life can affect the performance of the product as well as the level of bacterial or microbial growth in the product.

Even if you don't see/smell anything funny, doesn't mean it's not there. I'd toss out the expired stuff. If maybe it's just a couple of weeks after expiration date then *maybe* try to use it up ASAP!

I've used henna for years with no problems. One day last year I decided to use an expired henna I had thinking it would be no big deal. WRONG. I had severe matting and dryness and lost tons of hair trying to detangle. I've recovered now but that incident traumatized me enough that I will never use expired products again.

For me it depends on where I'm keeping the products. Example, when folks buy shea butter from me. I tell them keep it in a COOL, DARK DRY place. I've had this tub of shea butter for well over a year now and it's still like new. Then I've had some that I've accidentally left out and it started turning white.

So I follow this rule with all of my hair stuff. Cool, dark dry place. I keep it in the shelve in my closet and keep the door closed. Even on the hottest days it stays cool in there.

I keep products like Yes to Carrots Mud Mask in my freezer and I've used them after expired with no issues. I also freeze my Indian powders and refrigerate my rosewater, oils and acv, just dispensing a small amount into travel size containers that I keep in the bathroom.

Like Empressri said, it really depends on how you've stored it.

If it hasn't been stored in a cool place, I'd probably toss it.

The other thing to consider is that things break down- sometimes into harmful materials. If you're using a product that is supposed to nourish your hair it can end up causing you more harm than good when it's expired.

As it's getting warmer I also have to be careful how I store my coconut oil cause it has gone bad before when it's gone back & forth between liquid & solid.

Back