YAY! DISCOVERED HOW TO GET KCCC RESULTS FOR 10$!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am so happy right now. I've been trying to do more things to make my natural hair look healthy and happy. Before this experiment, I could only get defined curls using KT and KCCC. (Kinky Curl Custard and Knot Today...for those who don't know the products) Anyhow I watched a you tube video that showed how to get curl defined. The person used Cantu leave in conditioner. I tried it and it didn't work. I saw one using IC gel. Another busted look when I tried it. Then, I decided to use the 2 together. OMG, the curl definition was even better than KCCC!:yay: Now I don't have to spend the $ for KCCC. Both products cost 10 in comparison of 35$ with KCCC and Knot today. Another unexpected side effect of this mix was that it removed the crunchiness of IC gel. I used the clear one and that is crunch city because it can make your hair like a helmet.:rolleyes: My co worker kept saying how soft my hair was. Usually she just begs me to let her relax it!:lachen:

Another unexpected side effect of this mix was that it removed the crunchiness of IC gel. I used the clear one and that is crunch city because it can make your hair like a helmet.:rolleyes: My co worker kept saying how soft my hair was. Usually she just begs me to let her relax it!:lachen:

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the feel of IC gel on my hair..I usually end up "squishing" my hair all day because of the crunchiness. I will have to find this cantu leave in...this is not the first good 'report' I'm hearing from this inexpensive product! :drunk:

I am trying to hold off on pics until I perfect my hair experiments.:rolleyes: I am going to post them soon though because I am going to need more natural mentoring.:yep: I got both products at Wal-Mart. Cantu leave in is almost always sold out. I usually grab 2 or 3 jars when I see it. IC gel is at our local Rite Aid. I also forgot to mention that now my hair is easy to part.:notworthy This combo will help me to part my hair easier, detangle easier, and enjoy my natural wash n go. I no longer has to work hard at defining curls. It's so easy now! I also am learning how to finger style. You tube videos have enabled me to learn more about natural hair. For the first time, I am more optimistic about my natural hair and my ability to care for it well.:cup:

Could you post the youtube video then please?
Also, is the mix 50/50 or is it a test on your own hair and see?

I just punched in define your curls and watched several videos. I did not mix the two. I just co washed my hair and put the cantu on my hair and then followed up with the IC gel afterward. I did not expect the curl definition I got. I was pleasantly surprised. I also did not use the shingle method. I just put a nickle size amount of Cantu first. I used it as a leave in. Then I added a quarter size of IC gel. I basically raked it in my hair wet and let it dry naturally. Ther's so many videos on You tube. I'm sorry I can't remember the names of who I watched.:blush::lachen: I hope I explained myself better. If you have more questions, just let me know.:yep:

This is some advice/one opinion I wish I never taken/tried. I mixed the cantu and ic gel together and I ended up with all these white balls in my hair that wouldnt come out 4 washes and 2 hours later the residue of the two are gone.

This is after like the 2nd wash..by the time I got to the 3rd I realized I had to try to comb out this white goo junk out even more before it would move during the washing. Think I broke a lot of hair because my hair got in knots and inside the knots was this white stuff. Sucked.

img_3315444.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I never said to mix them together. I used one on top of the other. Sorry if you tried that because of me.:ohwell:

I just punched in define your curls and watched several videos. I did not mix the two. I just co washed my hair and put the cantu on my hair and then followed up with the IC gel afterward. I did not expect the curl definition I got. I was pleasantly surprised. I also did not use the shingle method. I just put a nickle size amount of Cantu first. I used it as a leave in. Then I added a quarter size of IC gel. I basically raked it in my hair wet and let it dry naturally. Ther's so many videos on You tube. I'm sorry I can't remember the names of who I watched.:blush::lachen: I hope I explained myself better. If you have more questions, just let me know.:yep:

which one did you put on first?

I am going to have to try this. It appears she co washed her hair, then put cantu on her hair and then followed up with the IC gel.

I used to do this all the time with vo5 and aloe vera gel. It only lasted a day though. How long are you getting out of this? I wanted to try KCCC because it's supposed to last for around a week, which I can't seem to do anything I try.

The KCCC doesn't last a week for my daughter. It last maybe two days and then I have to get creative and style it to cover up the messed up curls ie headbands and puffs. However, you can refresh it with water. I can go through my daughters whole head in about 15 minutes now. So you start to get faster with the technique. The cons are that you are manipulating the hair a bit much.

How the heck did you get those two products to work together? Everytime I try I get white gummy crap all through my hair.

Did you get any white spots? I had to stop using Cantu and Ic together because I always had little white specks everywhere. I thought mixing them together might help, but you didn't mix yours. Maybe it's just my hair. :sad:

How the heck did you get those two products to work together? Everytime I try I get white gummy crap all through my hair.

:lachen:I posted before finishing the thread. So it wasn't just me then. I agree with NC that the definition I got when using the two was GREAT, but that white stuff was bad.

I am sorry if my description was unclear. I don't use a lot of Cantu, so maybe that is why I don't get white spots.:grin: My friend tried the same thing and she said she got good results by brushing her hair in the shower with the conditioner in it. When she rinsed out her conditioner, she said she had even better curl definition. I don't get second day hair with this, so I still think KCCC is the better of the 2. This way is less expensive using cantu/ IC gel. :rolleyes: I use the cantu as a leave in conditioner and rake in a little bit more IC gel.I just smooth it on top my head. I don't shingle it in or do it in sections. It's just slathered on top of my head.:lachen:

Has anyone tried mixing Aloe vera gel & Jojoba oil? On NC.com they used to say it was a dupe of KCCC, or was that the Jojoba jelly that she discontinued? I own both. Anyways, it is comparable. When I was natural (texlaxed now) it was a staple in the summer. You can get good 2nd day hair by spraying the hair with water or rinsing with water in the shower and adding a little aloe vera. I think any oil will do. I use coconut oil with the aloe vera as texlaxed now.

Pics:
2lm8oqu.jpg

25tcef8.jpg

2a9ec5w.jpg

Last edited:
This is some advice/one opinion I wish I never taken/tried. I mixed the cantu and ic gel together and I ended up with all these white balls in my hair that wouldnt come out 4 washes and 2 hours later the residue of the two are gone.​

This is after like the 2nd wash..by the time I got to the 3rd I realized I had to try to comb out this white goo junk out even more before it would move during the washing. Think I broke a lot of hair because my hair got in knots and inside the knots was this white stuff. Sucked.​

img_3315444.jpg

This is what happens when I used these two products together also, so I was surprised that it workered for the op

Natrlchallenge I am glad that you found something that worked for you. I know that you have been searching for your hg. Have you tried the seting lotion yet?

I never had luck using cantu leave in with any other product so I had to leave it alone. Like a lot of the other ladies I got yucky white clumps and never bought it again. Isn't funny how different heads can be?

I also tried the jojoba gel (Gypsycurl's recipe from youtube) and it didn't give me great definition.

I used to do this all the time with vo5 and aloe vera gel. It only lasted a day though. How long are you getting out of this? I wanted to try KCCC because it's supposed to last for around a week, which I can't seem to do anything I try.

hair twin! :grin:

This is what happens when I used these two products together also, so I was surprised that it workered for the op

me too. i was a mess. and i used it like the op, not mixed, but one on top of the other.

i've learned that both those products do NOT like to be mixed with opposite type products.

in my case:

for cantu - add any other condish to it but a gel

same applies for the gel.

:lachen:I posted before finishing the thread. So it wasn't just me then. I agree with NC that the definition I got when using the two was GREAT, but that white stuff was bad.

It's the worst!! I have to wash my hair like 3 or 4 times to get the white crap out. And sometimes I may forget I had the Cantu in my hair. Like say I did a twist out on Monday and then Thursday or Friday I want to slick it back into a puff - I still get that white residue. Evan after my hair has dried. Or even just putting gel on my edges after I've done my braidout or twistout it turns white. :nono:

Sorry guys!:blush: Ya'll know that I love your hair and would not want to leave you looking like Shady Grady!:lachen: I'm going to try the setting lotion another day . I am still experimenting with different styles. I am now working on doing a strait look today. Looks all right...still needs some tweaking.:rolleyes: Doing these styles on my natural hair is so much fun! I am shocked that I am able to do them! I love my natural hair!

when i was doing this with vo5 and aloe vera gel i got gummy white stuff in my hair too; i think that's why i stopped. i would cowash with the vo5, rinse some out, and then add the gel.

Back