Waist Length Challenge 2015

iVR

Shampooed, did a DC moisturizing mask, and conditioned this morning with Organix. The Moroccan moisturizing mask didn't do much for my hair, but the shampoo and conditioner (awapuhi ginger root) works wonders. The conditioner always makes my hair feel silky.

mscocopuff

Soooo, for the past few months, I have tried to stay heat free. In the past, I have somewhat hindered my retention by maintaining a constant fresh silk press, not to mention when a family member sliced out a soft ball size while trying to help me remove my sew in (lesson learned). My hair is still in a remarkable state (thanks Nexxus Heat Protectant), especially considering the I was a flat iron addict (touching up my roots with that darn Chi every day or every other, plus, curling my hair into loose waves) but I realize how these things have prevented me from realizing my long term growth goals, in a much shorter time frame.

Anywho, I have recently begin to notice that my ends are no longer straight, they have begun to redevelop their curls, I have retained my new length for each month ( about 1/2 an inch to 2/3, it varies), my hair looks much better in its natural state considering it is no longer thirsty, and I have learned to listen to it more often. I have also grown back a lot of the hair that the unmentionable FM sliced out.

I have upped my co washes to two times a week. I notice that my hair has thrived in that environment. Also, I have improved when putting in moisturizer at night, thanks to watching tons of YouTube videos and watching some of you.

Sent from Cat's iPhone using LHCF

JJamiah

6 more weeks before I break down these breads... :party:

I am trying hard to stick to no buying until next year, so I am going to be passing up some good deals ladies.. well some of them.. LOL

Ladies what products are you looking forward to for the Sales this holiday season??

I would say Wen or 613, and Miss Jessies but I have so much..

prettybyrd

I decided to switch it up and do a wet bun today. So far I really like it. This could seriously become an everyday style.

I would like it even better if I were using a gel that held well but did not harden. Can anyone make a recommendation?

mscocopuff

I decided to switch it up and do a wet bun today. So far I really like it. This could seriously become an everyday style. I would like it even better if I were using a gel that held well but did not harden. Can anyone make a recommendation?

I love the Eco styler Argan Oil gel. No hard hold at all, yet a lot of control.

PureSilver

I'm just realizing or being reminded by DrC that today makes four years since i did the BC and been relaxer free. I wanna join this challenge. I'm 21/2 inches away from BSL and was aiming for MBL for 2014 so I'll definitely aim for WL for 2015. I think. My regimen needs to be updated and maintained not to mention my PS regimen. I have slacked off for a whole year and my hair is paying dearly. I'll be back to update my regimen once i get it right.

HoneyBadger

I want to add henna to my regimen because it's supposed to be good for strengthening fine hair but I can't find any before/after pictures. Can you ladies point me to a blog/yt/anything? Thanks.

Duchess007

I want to add henna to my regimen because it's supposed to be good for strengthening fine hair but I can't find any before/after pictures. Can you ladies point me to a blog/yt/anything? Thanks.

My hair is naturally very dark, so henna is almost completely undetectable (except on my... ahem... greys). Also haven't noticed a change to my curl pattern.

Before henna:
image-877281967.jpg

During:
image-3864872633.jpg

After about a year of henna:
image-4034368827.jpg

You can kinda see the color in some light
image-2768211004.jpg
image-277214455.jpg

ETA lanks!

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/10/im-henna-head.html?m=1

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/02/spirals-henna-journey.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!

I am trying hard to stick to no buying until next year, so I am going to be passing up some good deals ladies.. well some of them.. LOL

Ladies what products are you looking forward to for the Sales this holiday season??

Shea Butter, I can't believe I've slept on this for so long.
Rhassoul Clay
SheScentit Banana Brulee and Okra Reconstructor
Oyin Hair Dew the rest of my money is going on nail polish:look:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

I need to be on a no buy till next year, but the PJ in my won't let me. Instead, I'm sticking to deep conditioners and a seamless comb:

- B.A.S.K. Cocao Bark Deep Conditioning Hair Treat
- B.A.S.K. Vanilla Whiskey Reparative Hair Soak
- Hairveda Sitrinilla
- Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb

prettybyrd

I am out of just about everything, so I plan to do a serious haul this season. I need poo bars, conditioner, pomades, oils hair toys, a new denman...so much stuff!

I've been pretty frugal this year after spending an outrageous amount of money on products in 2011-2012. Now that most of that stuff is gone, it's time to start over - sensibly. :grin:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

Hairveda:
Vatika Frosting
Almond Glaze

Komaza:
Protein Strengthener (1)
Califia Styling Pudding (1)

Keraveda
Combo Oil in Pumpkin Spice
Henna in Warm Sugar Vanilla

Sage
Darcy’s Pumpkin
Bee Mine Luscious
Oyin Hair Dew

SheScentit:
Cocoa Cream Leave In
Okra Conditioner
Avocado Conditioner
Berry Frosting Butter (whatever it’s called)
Cutie Pie Conditioner Leave in and butter

:look: :grin:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
My hair is naturally very dark, so henna is almost completely undetectable (except on my... ahem... greys). Also haven't noticed a change to my curl pattern. Before henna: During: After about a year of henna: You can kinda see the color in some light ETA lanks! http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/10/im-henna-head.html?m=1 http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/02/spirals-henna-journey.html?m=1 Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

The henna just looks like it makes your hair heavier. It's still looking good though.

Please excuse my iPhone

HoneyBadger

My hair is naturally very dark, so henna is almost completely undetectable (except on my... ahem... greys). Also haven't noticed a change to my curl pattern.

Before henna:
View attachment 228901

During:
View attachment 228903

After about a year of henna:
View attachment 228907

You can kinda see the color in some light
View attachment 228899
View attachment 228905

ETA lanks!

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/10/im-henna-head.html?m=1

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/02/spirals-henna-journey.html?m=1

Duchess007

Thanks a lot! Wow your hair looks much thicker. How does it feel? You are giving me hope right now.

Duchess007

Duchess007

Thanks a lot! Wow your hair looks much thicker. How does it feel? You are giving me hope right now.

Girl, DO IT! I love henna and I have no plans to stop using it. It feels FANTASTIC going on. But. It is a PITA to clean up/wash out. I cowash it out with VO5 and I usually use a whole bottle. But it's cheap, so no biggie.

Also, henna doesn't smell so great. But I've taken to mixing with ACV and throwing in some ground cinnamon and cloves, so the smell doesn't bother me anymore. Or it could just be that I'm used to it now. lol

I let it release during the day while I'm at work. I just mix in acv and water until the consistency is like pudding or yogurt. In this picture, you can see the dye swirled at the top (this was after the henna sat out all day, in the middle of giving it another good stir):

image-4232411185.jpg

And you should do a good DC afterward. I've heard tales of straw-like hair. But between the cowash and the DC I've never had any problems. Hair feels stronger and (although I haven't noticed any difference personally) hubby says its thicker.

I'm high porosity and have to M&S every night, so keep that in mind too. Your hair might be slightly more thirsty the week following treatment.

Good luck, HoneyBadger! I think you're going to love it. :-D

Last edited:

LongCurlyLocks

Ok so this is my regimen post. The current length of my hair is in the avatar box, which is about an inch past collarbone.That picture was taken 10-8-13. I co-wash at least every other day if not everyday. Wash about once a week. I use Tresemme luxurious moisture shampoo and conditioner. I use my "power punch oil mix" which is a mixture of oils like JBCO, Argan, Grapeseed, etc with Sulfur. I basically made my own version of Liquid Gold. I use that on my scalp. 100% Shea butter for hair and ends. Bunning for protective style. Hardly ever use heat. Going back on my vitamins which contains of Grape seed, Ginkgo, and a multi which contains just about every B vitamin, Biotin, Kelp, and other good stuff. Reading ingredients and knowing what to look for helps. Drinking more water. I have some powders that I plan to use too for like DC (use up your stash) and I'm debating on picking up some Ovation Cell Therapy. I will get back to you on that one.

Haven't been on a challenge since I found this site in 2009!!! Well much needed.

Ultimate Goal: WL (my son tells everyone I am trying to grow my hair down to my butt, even to strangers, when no-one is talking about hair)

Regimen: No set reggie.
I try to condition wash every week usually between Friday-Sunday
I usually just wet my hair and use Silicone Mix or Suave Humertress (?) and let it stay on for hours to the next day. I seal with Coconut Oil.

During the week, I just cowash and bun. The bunning is making my edges disappear, just now noticing this 3 days ago.

Have incorporated Ayurvedic powders and the inversion method.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: Well I am not sure if I am correct but my measurements are

2 inches away from BSL ...... 7 inches away from MBL and 10 inches away from WL........I am not sure if this is correct even though my boyfriend just measured.

Natural/Relaxed/Other: NATURAL

Issues or difficulties you're having: Slow growth, finding hairstyles that dont involve added hair.

prettybyrd

View attachment 228935

Pretty Byrd, here is my wet bun with the ecostyler.

mscocopuff, What a pretty bun. I love those waves and I can't wait until I can get a high bun like that. Do you just add the gel to yours or do you use oils, too?

Today I used my ecostyler with olive oil again and used more oil and it's much softer. I still plan to give the ES with Argan oil a shot as soon as I can find it because your hair looks pliable - my hair still looks a bit shellacked. :lol: I think they sell it at Sally's, so I'll check them out tomorrow.

mscocopuff

mscocopuff, What a pretty bun. I love those waves and I can't wait until I can get a high bun like that. Do you just add the gel to yours or do you use oils, too? Today I used my ecostyler with olive oil again and used more oil and it's much softer. I still plan to give the ES with Argan oil a shot as soon as I can find it because your hair looks pliable - my hair still looks a bit shellacked. :lol: I think they sell it at Sally's, so I'll check them out tomorrow.

Thank you! Other than my Shea Moisture Curly Soufflé, just gel. I use about a marble size of moisturizer all over, then follow up with the gel. It is very pliable! Maybe you should try online, like Queen Beauty Supply. You can PM me if you want, and I can get you some from Dallas. That stuff is everywhere down here!

NaturalfienD

Checking in …

I've finally taken my Marley twists out and giving my hair the long overdue TLC it needed. Here's what I did:

Prepooed using Chicoro's recipe, shampooed using a random shampoo and Karo syrup (saw this in one of Chicoro's videos)- the syrup makes the shampoo have chelating abilities. Then, I did the Aphogee 2-step and I applied my favorite deep conditioner (after using the Aphogee balancing conditioner), Beyond The Zone: Last Call.

I will always love the moisturizing prepoo. It is super helpful with detangling. I use a creamy sulfur mix and I worried that the buildup would cause huge problems for me while detangling; especially cause my hair was up for two months. The detangling session was cool and I didn't lose a bunch of hair in the process.

I really liked the shampoo mix … I could see the grime/dirt washing away and I noticed my hair didn't feel stripped like it does when I use my commercial chelating shampoo. I think I will continue using the recipe when I need to shampoo/deep cleanse.

So tomorrow, I will begin my twisting process (Marley twists again) and have my hair away for six to eight weeks. Loving the results I'm getting from my sulfur mix, and I will continue exercising to enhance growth. I'm looking forward to the next take down so I can post my official pics for this challenge.

By the way, have any of y'all seen Naptural85's recent LC video?!?!?! She is stunting super hard!!!! I'm hoping my hair is something like that when it's all said and done … :drool:

I hope you all are doing well …

Firstborn2

I'm so proud of myself! I wore my hair in a bun for 7days without having to recomb it at all. I've been rinsing daily because I work out, slap a lil eco gel mixed with oil to smooth the frizz and tie a scarf around it.

I may have found my style to help me reach my goal. I will take the bun down once a week to wash and dc but I think bunning it is.:grin:

prettybyrd

Thank you! Other than my Shea Moisture Curly Soufflé, just gel. I use about a marble size of moisturizer all over, then follow up with the gel. It is very pliable! Maybe you should try online, like Queen Beauty Supply. You can PM me if you want, and I can get you some from Dallas. That stuff is everywhere down here!

You're so sweet! Thank you so much! I will be PMing you!

Firstborn2

NaturalfienD, I just saw it, I dream of having hair like hers. I like the way her hair looks in a twist out. I can't wait to rock a twist out the big!

Last edited:

Ravenhairedbeauty

Been wearing my hair in two buns all week I finally have a protective style and its cute too. Only problem is I have to redo them everyday and I want to keep my hands out of my hair so it can grow and be protected. I guess I'll figure something out.

So I just got done with doing individual box braids with my own hair...started at 7:30 finished about 10:30 due to interruptions. Will post pictures later in the morning. Hoping to keep these in for some time.

Celesti

Just finished re moisturizing/re-setting my twists. I decided to use Shea butter after moisturizing. For some reason my hair won't hold a twist out. Maybe this is what it was missing. I used to use it regularly in the past, but stopped because my hair didn't really need it for moisture retention. Maybe it's sole purpose for my hair is to give my out-styles defined lasting results. Hope it works out tomorrow! :making a wish: