Wash and Wear Hair?

dicapr

I see alot of threads about how you can get wash and wear hair. I was thinking that black women are just in the habit of thinking their hair has to look "did" all the time. This weekend I washed my hair, deep conditioned and did a oil treatment. After it air dried, I had bouncy, shiny hair. I had pinned the bangs back because they were getting in my face. I looked in the mirror and thought I could almost wear it like this. Then I couldn't figure out a reason why I couldn't. No, it wasn't curled or bone straight. However it was healthy looking, had alot of body, and the clip I used on my bangs was cute. I looked neat. Why don't we as black women just go with this look, other cultures do?:ohwell: This would also be alot less damaging to our hair when we decided to wear it out.

Isis

Good point! I would love to do this. How did you air dry your hair for that bouncy, shiny look?

dicapr

Thanks for your response. I just deep condition with cholesterol and follow that with a joba hot oil treatment. I air dry my hair loose. I comb it with the shower comb as if I were going to do a wet set and continue to comb thru it every so often while it dries. My hair is always bouncy after a washing and deep conditioning.

caligirl

dicapr said:
Thanks for your response. I just deep condition with cholesterol and follow that with a joba hot oil treatment. I air dry my hair loose. I comb it with the shower comb as if I were going to do a wet set and continue to comb thru it every so often while it dries. My hair is always bouncy after a washing and deep conditioning.

Do you have a relaxer?

dicapr

I am relaxed. I've got about 1 1/2 inches of texlaxed hair and the rest is 90% relaxed. My hair is a little big after aid drying it loose, but to me, in a good way.

ravenmerlita

Just this year I started to wash and wear my hair. I have to say that for me, I didn't do this before because I honestly didn't know the texture of my hair or what it looked like just air-dried. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but for all of my life every time my hair was washed it was either blow dried and curled or set on rollers and dried under a dryer. So there was never a time I saw what my hair was really like.

Isis

dicapr said:
I'm not sure if this method would work for me but then again, I haven't tried it. Thanks for sharing.

*ElleB

I dunno, maybe I'm being naive, but I would think Wash and Wear would depend on your hair type???

sweetcashew

I do this a lot in the warmer months. I air dry, combing it out as it dries, wrap for an hour and it's bouncy and ready to go.
Also I sometimes I just apply styling products that help maintain curl pattern. I allow it to air- dry and then wear it curly.

caligirl

Wildchild453 said:
I wash and wear, but then again I'm natural so there is a bit of a diff

Wash and wear for me = coily afro. One day I hope I have the courage to wear it out in public. I hate getting lots of attention and I know people will be breaking their neck.

Princess Pie

I did a wash and wear earlier this week. I'm relaxed so my hair almost dries straight. I'd normally be hesitant to leave the house like this, but lately I've been caring less what other people think. Wash and wear can be good if you're trying to do less manipulation.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

You ladies are lucky I guess. I can not and do not have wash and wear hair. After washing / deep conditioning etc, etc I look like Cedric the entertainer when he played the role of a preacher. Anyone know what I'm talking about? maybe because my hair is so short?? And to try to get bouncy shiny hair with no heat is out of the question. :lachen: Just call me kunte kintay (or however you spell it)

IrisDaVirus

I sometimes do wash and wear styles and I like them a lot. They're convenient and carefree to me, especially for warm, humid weather conditions.

Last edited:

Kimberly

I like the wash and wear, too. My hair gets big but it just looks full and soft. It's not "bouncy", by any means but it does hang nicely with my newly attained length.:)

CurliDiva

On Wed, I removed my cornrows and then went out to dinner with my family. This was not offically a wash-n-go, but my hair was definitely not "DID".

I am nervous to wear my natural hair out until it is smooted into a neat bun or get longer -- but I loved my thick, free-form FRO. It was actually very freeing!

My nephew loved it and just keep touching my hair and saying that he had never saw my hair out before. Did I mentioned that I had the healthy and longest hair (which is not even that long yet ;) ) at the table? Of course, my Mom made a crack about my thick (her code for nappy) and how I use too many products on my hair.

I plan to rock my braids or weave, but I think this is a great step in me loving (and accepting) my hair in its natural state. I try to wear my hair loose for a few days between styling. A afro will not be my everyday look, but I am not ashamed to wear it. :)

Tene

I love just washing my hair and clipping it up and going. That's all I do everyday is co wash, use my products, let it airdry and clip it up.

dicapr said:
I see alot of threads about how you can get wash and wear hair. I was thinking that black women are just in the habit of thinking their hair has to look "did" all the time. This weekend I washed my hair, deep conditioned and did a oil treatment. After it air dried, I had bouncy, shiny hair. I had pinned the bangs back because they were getting in my face. I looked in the mirror and thought I could almost wear it like this. Then I couldn't figure out a reason why I couldn't. No, it wasn't curled or bone straight. However it was healthy looking, had alot of body, and the clip I used on my bangs was cute. I looked neat. Why don't we as black women just go with this look, other cultures do?:ohwell: This would also be alot less damaging to our hair when we decided to wear it out.

I have always wanted to be able to wash N go. A few years ago we had a really humid summer and I was still getting my hair done at the salon. One day I went for a wash N set and my hair was straight when I left the salon. But by the time my brother arrived to pick me up, it had puffed out so much because of the humidity. I remember being so depressed that summer because I had hair that I had to constantly worry about (i.e, rain, humidity, wind, when wearing hair straight). Now I can hardly believe I ever felt that way. I always airdry my hair and put it in one braid at night. In the morining I have a curly braid-out ponytail, and I don't care what the weather is doing! I looove my poofiness now!:lol:

Because of forums like this, I think more of us will begin to realize that it's ok for our hair to be poofy, and that it doesn't have to be straight all the time, or at all.:)

Last edited:

Super_Hero_Girl

Wildchild453 said:
I wash and wear, but then again I'm natural so there is a bit of a diff
Ditto. I wash and wear all of the time, especially in the summer. I think that is the best time to do it.

Super_Hero_Girl

caligirl said:
Wash and wear for me = coily afro. One day I hope I have the courage to wear it out in public. I hate getting lots of attention and I know people will be breaking their neck.

Coily.. chunky fros are cute. I hope that you do get the courage to rock one one day. :)

MissYocairis

*Bre~Bre* said:
You ladies are lucky I guess. I can not and do not have wash and wear hair. After washing / deep conditioning etc, etc I look like Cedric the entertainer when he played the role of a preacher. Anyone know what I'm talking about? maybe because my hair is so short?? And to try to get bouncy shiny hair with no heat is out of the question. :lachen: Just call me kunte kintay (or however you spell it)

Girl, stop! :lachen:

Cheleigh

caligirl said:

Because I'm natural, wash and wear= coily afro for me too. But I wash and wear (or some variation thereof) almost everyday--besides two strand twists, it's all I know how to do. :)

My wash and wear from yesterday (I couldn't get the lighting right for nothing yesterday, so sorry about that).

dicapr

Princess Pie said:
I did a wash and wear earlier this week. I'm relaxed so my hair almost dries straight. I'd normally be hesitant to leave the house like this, but lately I've been caring less what other people think. Wash and wear can be good if you're trying to do less manipulation.

I am working up to courage to do this. I like it in the mirror, but then think my mom would kill me if she found out I went out of the house with my hair like that. I may try it this weekend and see how I feel.

ms-tyler

Dicapr I agree that as Black women it should Be acceptable that we wash and wear our own hair without having to reform or alter our hair as much as we do.. I use to feel like this everytime I pressed my hair. It use to make me so upset. This year upon discovering this forum, I found out that I could manage my own hair without heat and excessive damage. It has truly liberated me.;) And I'm Lovin my hair more than I ever have..:D

SaintLuxe

i :love: wash&wear! i've been doing it for a couple of years now, & it has literally saved my hair(it's relaxed & colored). i just co-wash, leave-in, & go. it has made my life so much easier, esp.in the warmer months. now, i rarely put heat on it, unless i'm getting a touchup & my hair is lovin' me for it. i recommend it to anyone willing to give it a try.

caligirl

Cheleigh said:
Because I'm natural, wash and wear= coily afro for me too. But I wash and wear (or some variation thereof) almost everyday--besides two strand twists, it's all I know how to do. :)

My wash and wear from yesterday (I couldn't get the lighting right for nothing yesterday, so sorry about that).

See, your's is a nice length and looks cute with your headband. My afro on the other hand is huge (think Kelis). I would be so self-conscious going out like that. I love to wear it in an afro puff though.

wyldcurlz

i know what you mean. i just started truly washing and wearing this week. before i was always afraid of how "big" my hair would get & what people would say. i figured out that was ingrained into me since my childhood, i always had lots of long, thick, big flowing hair. i wore it down once, in a school play, and every laughed. since that day, i was scared of my own hair. now i realize, it was gorgeous. people probably thought it was gorgeous then too. but being 10, the laughs of the people your age matter most. (of course, that began my damage, i got a relaxer the next week and cut off 10-inches of hair!)

anyway, my new experiences with wash and wear have been so positive. i'm still figuring out how to get the look & control i want. but everyone likes my wash and wear curls...and better yet, I like them!

what's best about our hair is the versatility! we can wear it flat-ironed or pressed straight, we can go wavy, we can rock tight ringlets, fros, braids. our hair is fantastic! i think we're blessed because we can do so much with our hair. i LOVE the way my hair looks pressed straight! and, i love my curls.

Last edited:

HairQueen

Before LHCF I never ever thought I could wash and wear my hair (I'm relaxed) because it would just look a mess. What I have found is since I have not used heat on my hair for nearly two years now nearly all the split ends have gone so what I am left with is healthy hair so what I find is it just looks healthier and does not need heat to look good.

I think before what happened was I was in a vicious circle. I would blow dry and straighten my hair regulalry which would = split ends which would = needing to blow dry and straigten which would = split ends, u get the picture??

sweetcashew

wyldcurlz said:
i wore it down once, in a school play, and every laughed. since that day, i was scared of my own hair.

See, I had a similar experience in high school. I wasn't allowed to wear my hair out or ever partially out. I couldn't even wear bangs because of how thick it would be. The principal made me wear buns through most of my high school. That use to really get me upset because other girls would come to school with cute hairstyles and I had to wear a big bun. Then my senior year, I got rebellious and started wearing braid outs in a pony tail.
I really had to learn to accept that it's my hair and it's just a part of who I am. It doesn't have to be tamed.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
chocolatesis said:
I have always wanted to be able to wash N go. A few years ago we had a really humid summer and I was still getting my hair done at the salon. One day I went for a wash N set and my hair was straight when I left the salon. But by the time my brother arrived to pick me up, it had puffed out so much because of the humidity. I remember being so depressed that summer because I had hair that I had to constantly worry about (i.e, rain, humidity, wind, when wearing hair straight). Now I can hardly believe I ever felt that way. I always airdry my hair and put it in one braid at night. In the morining I have a curly braid-out ponytail, and I don't care what the weather is doing! I looove my poofiness now!:lol:

Because of forums like this, I think more of us will begin to realize that it's ok for our hair to be poofy, and that it doesn't have to be straight all the time, or at all.:)

I agree because I was the same way. I was always worrying about my hair poofing up in the summer. I would even stay indoors sometimes because of this. Now I love my poofy, curly hair. In the summer I just wash and go. No matter what the weather's doing my hair will be bangin'.:D