Washing hair after swimming

JKierra

I've been thinking about going swimming sometime soon...since it is starting to get hot, but I can't remember what type of shampoo you should wash your hair with afterwards to get the chlorine out??? I am thinking that you shouldn't just use any kind, and I know you should deep condition afterwards. Any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA

Two days ago I bought a swimming cap for my daughter. I want to limit any chlorine in her hair.

Maybe some other ladies can chime in with some more advice.

Well here are a few tips for you...

If you wet your hair and put some conditioner in it before you go swimming, your hair will absorb less water. Dry hair is like a sponge so you will get more of the chlorinated water in it that way.

You could by a special swimmers shampoo, or you can use a neutralizing shampoo.

If you feel like that is too much shampoo, use a regular shampoo, and maybe some type of porosity control conditioner. There are several on the market.

---Porosity Control
---Motions Neutralizing Conditioner
---Opti Normalizer and Moisterizer
---Cream of Nature Porosity Control

HTH

I load my hair with conditioner before swimming. Afterward I use Nexxus Aloe Rid to remove chlorine if I've been swimming in a pool. If I've been swimming gin the lake I just use one of my regular shampoos.

There are some shampoos available that target those who swim regularly - like daily. Here's some quick info on that
http://swimming.about.com/cs/hairskin/tp/hair_skin_care.htm

If you aren't planning on swimming daily, you can apply a leave-in conditioner/cheapie conditioner to your hair before swimming (don't rinse out). This is suppose to decrease the amount of chlorine that is absorbed into the hair (because the conditioner is there). You might be wondering - wouldn't the conditioner eventually rinse out from being in the water???? I dunno, but its better than doing nothing at all.

Here's a link to read on pre-conditioning and washing afterwards:
http://www.growafrohairlong.com/swimming.html

Thanks everyone for responding. You all gave me excellent tips and advice. I was looking :look: for a minute.

I wet my hair and put a lot of conditioner in it before going swimming. Afterwards, I use ORS Aloe shamppo.

loreal99 said:
Well here are a few tips for you...

If you wet your hair and put some conditioner in it before you go swimming, your hair will absorb less water. Dry hair is like a sponge so you will get more of the chlorinated water in it that way.

You could by a special swimmers shampoo, or you can use a neutralizing shampoo.

If you feel like that is too much shampoo, use a regular shampoo, and maybe some type of porosity control conditioner. There are several on the market.

---Porosity Control
---Motions Neutralizing Conditioner
---Opti Normalizer and Moisterizer
---Cream of Nature Porosity Control

HTH
ITA. I always wet my hair an put conditioner in before I swim. That gives me a protective barier.

Just what I was looking for! :)

I start swim lessons tomorrow morning!!! Yes. At thirty**cough**years old...:look:

I'm excited tho! Thanks ladies for the advice!!! I'll be wearing a swimcap also, but had no idea what to do about the chlorine that may get in my hair. I bought a silicone swim cap versus a latex one. Supposedly it's supposed to be a little better for the hair.

some info:
Silicone swim caps, unlike latex caps, resist discoloration from trace amounts of copper commonly found in pools. The smooth silicone finish eliminates hair pulling and is easy to put on and take off. Ideal for both competition and recreational swimming.

I hope my cap doesn't come off with all the conditioner that I'm planning to put in my hair...:perplexed

Anyway....thanks for the info ladies!!!

apples said:
Just what I was looking for! :)

I start swim lessons tomorrow morning!!! Yes. At thirty**cough**years old...:look:

I'm excited tho! Thanks ladies for the advice!!! I'll be wearing a swimcap also, but had no idea what to do about the chlorine that may get in my hair. I bought a silicone swim cap versus a latex one. Supposedly it's supposed to be a little better for the hair.

some info:
Silicone swim caps, unlike latex caps, resist discoloration from trace amounts of copper commonly found in pools. The smooth silicone finish eliminates hair pulling and is easy to put on and take off. Ideal for both competition and recreational swimming.

I hope my cap doesn't come off with all the conditioner that I'm planning to put in my hair...:perplexed

YEAH!!! I am excited for you too! I hope you enjoy every minute of being in that water. You're gonna be a fish in no time!

*taking notes, because I might get back up on that water aerobics hyphy this weekend :) *

fuchsiastar said:
YEAH!!! I am excited for you too! I hope you enjoy every minute of being in that water. You're gonna be a fish in no time!

*taking notes, because I might get back up on that water aerobics hyphy this weekend :) *

Heyyyy thanks so much fuchsiastar!!! :)

That's my plan....to be a fish!! lol I'm also planning to go snorkeling next year---so I'm really looking forward to becoming a good swimmer! All these years, I've been so worried about my hair in the water, (chlorine)--- but now that I know it's possible to not damage my hair while swimming, just pumps me up!!

*** off topic***And on another note----I am SO GLAD that YOU of all people, responded to this thread--because I couldn't remember for the life of me, whose siggy contained that picture of the skydiving!! :D

That is another thing that I'm planning to do this summer---go skydiving!!!!! I'm tooooooo excited about that!! I'm trying to live my life to the fullest just like you!! :lol:

I'm going to pm you about your experience, to prevent from jacking this thread!! :)

but on topic---what is a water aerobics hyphy?

------------

thanks for the link awesomely nappy!! the more info..the better!!

apples said:
but on topic---what is a water aerobics hyphy?

Oh, sorry girl...that's my San Diego coming out:lol: ...I use hyphy in random sentences...kind of like describing a trend...I had a period of doing lots of water aerobics and need to get back into it.

apples said:

That happened when I put a lot condish in my hair... maybe it gave my hair too much "slip" :)

If your cap fits well it will let almost no water in. The first time I tried it w dry hair and only my hairline was moist afterward.

But all in all I prefer to swim in lakes... so I don´t have to worry about my hair/skin :)

Back